Penske Media Corporation Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Penske Media Corporation Chairman and CEO Jay Penske
Jay Penske

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "A great culture where good, hard work is appreciated and rewarded" (in 6 reviews)

• "Good people, nice building, good work environment" (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "One thing: no 401k matching; that was a surprise" (in 10 reviews)

• "Benefits are not as robust as other media companies (no 401k match the biggest disappointment)" (in 8 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Inspired Daily"

I have been working at Penske Media Corporation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The best ideas win. PMC will never get in the way of a good idea. I feel empowered to ideate and innovate everyday and a lot of my suggestions come to life. It feels like a small company that way, but the resources and infrastructure to actually execute are available.

Cons

The pressure to perform at a high level can be stressful. The expectations for continued success are omnipresent.

2. "The Best Decision I Ever Made"

I worked at Penske Media Corporation full-time

Pros

PMC has an impressive portfolio of brands and when I was looking to start my career in media, I knew PMC was the place to be. I connected with the talent acquisition team at Penske and throughout the interview process they took the time to learn about my experiences, understand exactly what I was looking for in my career, and they ended up presenting a different position to me than the one that I had initially applied to. They helped me take my career in a different direction by matching me with a role that was much better suited for me and for that I am forever grateful.

I had the privilege of working at WWD for 2 years. The team there is incredibly close-knit, management is thoughtful and encouraging, and there is ample opportunity for growth. Working at PMC was the best decision I ever made.

Cons

The team is small but mighty! You have to be open to embracing change, working hard and taking on new challenges. This may be a con for some, but personally I love this about PMC. Incredible opportunity to learn new things!

3. "Great people, interesting work"

I have been working at Penske Media Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My supervisor provides me with autonomy, but is also very supportive when needed. Working with employees in various PMC departments and brands keeps the work challenging and interesting.

Cons

Medical plan benefits and cost.

4. "Empowered to get things done!"

I have been working at Penske Media Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I come to work each day knowing I have the autonomy to get things done & to make a difference. Employees are encouraged to share their ideas and suggestions and are given the ability to put them in motion.

Cons

Employee benefits are more expensive than other places I have worked.

Advice to Management

Continue listening to the ideas of the employees who strive to make PMC a great place to work.

5. "Integrated Marketing Associate at Robb Report"

Current Employee - Integrated MArketing Associate
    Current Employee - Integrated MArketing Associate

I have been working at Penske Media Corporation full-time

Pros

Good people, nice building, good work environment

Cons

Benefits need work and organization could be better. Plus, very understaffed.

6. "Best Professional Decision Ever"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Penske Media Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

PMC has an amazing culture that rewards success. The leadership team makes every attempt to connect with each and every employee.

Cons

The pace can be intimidating at times.

Advice to Management

The pace can be a bit intimidating at times.

"Wouldn't recommend"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Penske Media Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They offer free healthy snack options. You will get to work with big name clients but if you are looking to work at a place where you will contribute to innovative campaigns then this is not the place for you. Their strategies are extremely dated and management leaves zero room for suggestions .

Cons

Zero work life balance.This company combines sick days and vacation days. This forces employees to come in to work sick and infect other coworkers. They also don't offer Summer Fridays and force you to work on extremely dated computers.

Advice to Management

If you want to retain top talent, offer competitive compensation and benefits packages to compete with other companies who are currently offering way more work life balance and flexibility.

Apr 9, 2019 – Vice President of HR and Corporate Communications

It's disappointing to hear you didn't have a wonderful experience at PMC but we appreciate your feedback. We do combine vacation and sick days because many employees were not using sick days at all... More

8. "Keep looking..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Penske Media Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The employees are great: smart and hardworking.
    Maybe a good place to stay for a year and then move on (see below).

Cons

NO paid sick days.
    NO matching 401K.
    NO annual reviews.
    NO annual cost-of-living increases.

Apr 9, 2019 – Vice President of HR and Corporate Communications

Thank you for your feedback though we are sorry to hear you didn't have a great experience at PMC. We did choose to combine vacation and sick days as many employees were not using sick days at all so... More

"A disappointing company which lacks interest in its employees and a strategic vision for the future"

Former Employee - Managing Editor in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Managing Editor in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Penske Media Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Good location in LA with a nice physical work environment (open floor plan, shared kitchen and dining area, comfortable fish bowl conference rooms).

Cons

- PMC appears to be a company that doesn't value or invest in its employees in any meaningful way

- Salary is low across the board and as a hiring manager, I saw the company consistently low-ball candidates or hire more junior positions than needed to save money

- No matching 401K offered to employees

- Minimal paid time off. In fact, the company combines sick days and vacation into a single PTO pool of hours, so if you get the flu and have to take off, you get fewer vacation days that year. The PTO total is pretty low to begin with, so it's difficult to accrue enough vacation even after 2 years to take a simple vacation that lasts more than a couple of days.

- There is no performance evaluation program - no annual review, no career progression, no mentoring or coaching.

- There is no program in place to give annual raises, bonuses, or rewards of any kind. On my team, no one had received a single raise of any kind in over 2 years.

- Managers get no training or guidelines on how to manage their direct reports. There isn't even a requirement for managers to ever meet with their direct reports, ever. Most other companies require or encourage weekly 1:1s.

- The corporate leadership and leadership of individual business units were completely out of sync with one another, resulting in a fractious, schizophrenic strategic plan. PMC leaders insisted that digital growth was the #1 priority, for example, while the publication I was at had senior managers who didn't understand or care about digital and instead doubled down on a declining print business.

- PMC seems to want to treat all of its business units the same. For example, they had moderate success with Variety by increasing digital production volume, so they naively and uncritically pushed that same strategy on Robb Report, a luxury brands that cannot scale in the same way.

- This reveals a bigger problem: PMC hasn't demonstrated it understands the publishing business at all. It has grown entirely through mergers and acquisition -- ie, by buying distressed publications at a discount. It's unclear if they can actually be successful over the long term by growing businesses organically.

Advice to Management

Get your act together. Value your employees and treat them with respect and establish mature HR systems to grow and reward them. Simultaneously, figure out what your overall business strategy is and get your business units on board to execute against that.

Feb 19, 2019 – Vice President of HR and Corporate Communications

Thank you for your feedback. We really appreciate all input so that we can continually improve work and life at PMC. Some of those improvements we are currently working on is our plan to implement a... More

10. "Great place to work"

I have been working at Penske Media Corporation full-time

Pros

Always growing, lots of different brands.

Cons

Always growing. Sometimes it's hard to keep track!

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.