Penske Media Managing Editor Reviews | Glassdoor

Create your profile to get personalized information

Penske Media Managing Editor Reviews

Updated Feb 8, 2019

2.6
Penske Media Chairman and CEO Jay Penske
Jay Penske

"A Great Company With Room to Grow"

Current Employee - Managing Editor in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Penske Media full-time for more than a year

Pros

I've worked for a number of companies in my career but few encourage you to take risks and try new things like PMC. They are invested in your success because they know that will make the company successful in return. I have felt empowered to make decisions and implement new ideas. Another positive: the great corporate culture here in the LA office, where you're encouraged to get to know one another, socialize (both in and out of the office) and build team spirit.

Cons

The company is growing at a rapid pace, with a number of new acquisitions. It would be great to get a better heads up of what's coming into our portfolio so we can better prepare ourselves to work with and integrate with the new brands.

Penske Media2018-05-17

"A disappointing company which lacks interest in its employees and a strategic vision for the future"

Former Employee - Managing Editor in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Penske Media full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Good location in LA with a nice physical work environment (open floor plan, shared kitchen and dining area, comfortable fish bowl conference rooms).

Cons

- PMC appears to be a company that doesn't value or invest in its employees in any meaningful way - Salary is low across the board and as a hiring manager, I saw the company consistently low-ball candidates or hire more junior positions than needed to save money - No matching 401K offered to employees - Minimal paid time off. In fact, the company combines sick days and vacation into a single PTO pool of hours, so if you get the flu and have to take off, you get fewer vacation days that year. The PTO total is pretty low to begin with, so it's difficult to accrue enough vacation even after 2 years to take a simple vacation that lasts more than a couple of days. - There is no performance evaluation program - no annual review, no career progression, no mentoring or coaching. - There is no program in place to give annual raises, bonuses, or rewards of any kind. On my team, no one had received a single raise of any kind in over 2 years. - Managers get no training or guidelines on how to manage their direct reports. There isn't even a requirement for managers to ever meet with their direct reports, ever. Most other companies require or encourage weekly 1:1s. - The corporate leadership and leadership of individual business units were completely out of sync with one another, resulting in a fractious, schizophrenic strategic plan. PMC leaders insisted that digital growth was the #1 priority, for example, while the publication I was at had senior managers who didn't understand or care about digital and instead doubled down on a declining print business. - PMC seems to want to treat all of its business units the same. For example, they had moderate success with Variety by increasing digital production volume, so they naively and uncritically pushed that same strategy on Robb Report, a luxury brands that cannot scale in the same way. - This reveals a bigger problem: PMC hasn't demonstrated it understands the publishing business at all. It has grown entirely through mergers and acquisition -- ie, by buying distressed publications at a discount. It's unclear if they can actually be successful over the long term by growing businesses organically.

Advice to Management

Get your act together. Value your employees and treat them with respect and establish mature HR systems to grow and reward them. Simultaneously, figure out what your overall business strategy is and get your business units on board to execute against that.

Penske Media2019-02-08