Penske Media Reviews | Glassdoor

Found 70 reviews

4.0
Penske Media CEO Jay Penske
Jay Penske
Pros
  • "Great work environment, President truly cares about his employees, flexibility when personal crisis arises(in 9 reviews)

• "PMC is filled with great people who really care about your experience working with them(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "One thing: no 401k matching; that was a surprise(in 10 reviews)

• "Benefits are not as robust as other media companies (no 401k match the biggest disappointment)(in 8 reviews)

1. "Excellent Company"

Current Employee - Accounting Manager in Danbury, CT

I have been working at Penske Media full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Cons

Older building a bit run down

Penske Media2019-08-24

"Disappointing"

I worked at Penske Media full-time

Pros

I worked on an editorial team within Penske, and I actually really loved my team. My coworkers were friendly and welcoming, my managers were generally down-to-earth and understanding, and there was a lot of room to do genuinely interesting, creative work. However, the values disseminated from the top down were nothing short of disappointing, and that definitely trickled down to affect everyone else.

Cons

Management doesn't seem to have any idea what they're doing. They're buying up once-high-profile media companies, but they don't appear to have the editorial expertise to guide and grow them. They seem to be more concerned with appearing successful than actually being successful—probably PMC's main flaw. Editors are expected to be seated at their desks from 9:30 to 6:30 each day. PTO is somewhat limited. Office... holidays are kept to a minimum (Christmas Eve didn't even make the cut). Working remotely is discouraged. And Summer Fridays aren't offered. Together, these restrictions paint a striking picture: Upper management has little regard for work/life balance, and they also have an archaic understanding of what it means to be an editor. Much of an editor's job happens away from their desk—at events, on shoots, building relationships, etc. The idea that a full-time editor is not responsible enough to decide how best to spend their time is patronizing and insulting. And it seems like a decision made for the sake of optics, rather than for the sake of actual productivity. PMC spent a lot of time designing beautiful offices to house all its brands. And the offices really do look nice. However, upper management seemed to care more about keeping the offices looking pristine than making sure we could actually do our jobs in them. They didn't account for interns in one of the brand floor plans, for example, and instead of giving that brand additional seating, they shut down their internship program. (God forbid they ruin the feng-shui!) They also told staffers they weren't allowed to put anything on top of their desks (photos, gifts from PR brands, anything). Most staffers openly defied this rule, but the fact that it was stated in the first place spoke to a lack of appropriate priorities. (A pristine office is more important than an office that staffers actually want to show up to every day?)

Advice to Management

There are some really wonderful brands housed within the PMC portfolio, and many of them are full of potential. However, it's hard to build an empire (or anything, really) if the priorities trickling down from the top aren't particularly thoughtful. Trust that your employees know what they're doing. You hired them for a reason—they're responsible enough to decide whether sitting at a desk for 9 hours is the best... use of their time. Put more of an emphasis on work/life balance. Anyone who works in digital can essentially do their job from anywhere, and they might be more productive if you let them. The same is true with office holidays: The company isn't going to lose a ton of money if you give people Christmas Eve off. In fact, it make end up making more money (and it almost definitely will in the longer-term) if you focus on retaining the staff you have by treating them with respect and understanding.

Penske Media2019-10-03
  3. "A lot of smoke and mirrors"

Former Employee - Sales Manager

I worked at Penske Media full-time for less than a year

Pros

great office location, well-stocked kitchen

Cons

zero resources office layout is open concept (terrible for conference calls)

Penske Media2019-08-23
  4. "Incredible company, great tech team"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Penske Media full-time for more than a year

Pros

This company is the real deal. After watching the rounds & rounds (and rounds) of layoffs in the publishing space, it's wonderful to find a company that is strategic & growing. I work in the technology group, where the team is smart, fun & hard working. Also it's nice to see a woman leading a tech org! Jay Penske is a great leader, I trust him and admire his strategic leadership.

Cons

Acquisitions are exciting & mean the company is growing, which isn't really a con but you need to be ready for lots of change and a fast pace.

Penske Media2019-04-24

"The Best Decision I Ever Made"

I worked at Penske Media full-time

Pros

PMC has an impressive portfolio of brands and when I was looking to start my career in media, I knew PMC was the place to be. I connected with the talent acquisition team at Penske and throughout the interview process they took the time to learn about my experiences, understand exactly what I was looking for in my career, and they ended up presenting a different position to me than the one that I had initially... applied to. They helped me take my career in a different direction by matching me with a role that was much better suited for me and for that I am forever grateful. I had the privilege of working at WWD for 2 years. The team there is incredibly close-knit, management is thoughtful and encouraging, and there is ample opportunity for growth. Working at PMC was the best decision I ever made.

Cons

The team is small but mighty! You have to be open to embracing change, working hard and taking on new challenges. This may be a con for some, but personally I love this about PMC. Incredible opportunity to learn new things!

Penske Media2019-04-10

"Great people, interesting work"

I have been working at Penske Media full-time for more than a year

Pros

My supervisor provides me with autonomy, but is also very supportive when needed. Working with employees in various PMC departments and brands keeps the work challenging and interesting.

Cons

Medical plan benefits and cost.

Penske Media2019-04-09

"Empowered to get things done!"

I have been working at Penske Media full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I come to work each day knowing I have the autonomy to get things done & to make a difference. Employees are encouraged to share their ideas and suggestions and are given the ability to put them in motion.

Cons

Employee benefits are more expensive than other places I have worked.

Advice to Management

Continue listening to the ideas of the employees who strive to make PMC a great place to work.

Penske Media2019-04-09
  8. "Integrated Marketing Associate at Robb Report"

Current Employee - Integrated MArketing Associate

I have been working at Penske Media full-time

Pros

Good people, nice building, good work environment

Cons

Benefits need work and organization could be better. Plus, very understaffed.

Penske Media2019-03-27

"Best Professional Decision Ever"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Penske Media full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

PMC has an amazing culture that rewards success. The leadership team makes every attempt to connect with each and every employee.

Cons

The pace can be intimidating at times.

Advice to Management

The pace can be a bit intimidating at times.

Penske Media2019-03-14

"Wouldn't recommend"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Penske Media full-time for less than a year

Pros

They offer free healthy snack options. You will get to work with big name clients but if you are looking to work at a place where you will contribute to innovative campaigns then this is not the place for you. Their strategies are extremely dated and management leaves zero room for suggestions .

Cons

Zero work life balance.This company combines sick days and vacation days. This forces employees to come in to work sick and infect other coworkers. They also don't offer Summer Fridays and force you to work on extremely dated computers.

Advice to Management

If you want to retain top talent, offer competitive compensation and benefits packages to compete with other companies who are currently offering way more work life balance and flexibility.

Penske Media2019-03-03

Penske Media Response

April 9, 2019Vice President of HR and Corporate Communications

It's disappointing to hear you didn't have a wonderful experience at PMC but we appreciate your feedback. We do combine vacation and sick days because many employees were not using sick days at all and gave the collective feedback that it would be better to give employees more total PTO days to use as they choose - sick, vacation, or personal. These are in addition to the 4 PTO days employees can use for volunteering where and when they choose during the year. Summer Fridays are a relic of print-only media/pace and doesn't make sense for the PMC business where we are competing in digital media. That said, we do very much believe in work life balance as well as flexibility in other ways so it's unfortunate that wasn't reflected in your experience. Thank you again for sharing your feedback.

Found 70 reviews