Penske Motor Group Reviews | Glassdoor

4.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Penske Motor Group Chairman & CEO Greg Penske
Greg Penske

Pros
  • great pay , great benefits after certified (in 14 reviews)

• The company itself is a great company to work for (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Carwashers work very hard and we need more help (in 4 reviews)

• There are No Cons being part of Penske Motor Group (in 6 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great place to grow and learn"

Current Employee - Service Drive Supervisor in El Monte, CA
    Current Employee - Service Drive Supervisor in El Monte, CA

I have been working at Penske Motor Group (More than 10 years)

Pros

There is always something new to learn and aspire for. There are always changes in the industry or the way we approach new challenges. This company invest in technology, people, and training, creating a good environment to work in. They hire the correct people and don't just make you a number. They are big but not out of touch with the team members needs. The environment is that of a family. We spend a good amount of time at work and working next to people you actually like is a plus. That is where the whole not a number comes into play. The company isn't for more bodies to fill positions but the right bodies who share in the company's overall goals and business practices. I hear horror stories from other dealers. I have never experienced that at PMG and that is the biggest pro of all.

Cons

It's the retail and auto industry so it has its ups and downs in the market. That really is what keeps it interesting in the end. It's not a hum drum job. Guests can be challenging but that is the same in any customer facing business. If you are not ready to handle guest concerns daily this may not be the job for you. It takes a person with good people skills to succeed in this business.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on team growth and process. Senior management have made great moves these past few years and I'm confident that if we stay the course we will see great years ahead.

Penske Motor Group Response

Jul 6, 2016 – Vice President

Thanks so much for the feedback! I'm glad that you are seeing, hearing and experiencing the things that are being done daily – by all of our Team Members – to make our locations a best place to ... More

2. "Longo Toyota"

Current Employee - Valet in El Monte, CA
    Current Employee - Valet in El Monte, CA

I have been working at Penske Motor Group part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work environment, excellent work benefits, and work opportunities

Cons

Walk a lot outside, weather can be difficult.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

3. "Career"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Monte, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Monte, CA

I have been working at Penske Motor Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone here treats each other like family. Room for growth.

Cons

Vending machine sometimes take your money

5. "Life as a car salesman"

Former Employee - Car Sales in El Monte, CA
    Former Employee - Car Sales in El Monte, CA

Pros

Great company overall. Some great leaders and several average managers run the company but have great built in processes to handle just about everything. Very good owner of the company. A culturally diverse company as well. Lots of opportunities to make money.

Cons

Work-life balance is terrible. Rotating schedules. Work nights, weekends and holidays without extra pay. Some coworkers are completely sleazy people because of the competitive nature of the job and will get by with more than they should because of poor judgment of certain decision makers. The company promotes the value of doing the right thing but clearly will not follow through if it could possibly make them liable for something instead of actually doing the right thing.

Advice to Management

Almost every manager at this company is great with very few exceptions. Maybe one thing that would be beneficial would be if they were themselves more consistent and consistent among each other. Some days it was ok to do one thing and the next day it would not be. Some days one manager would authorize a transaction only to have another manager later that same day give you the run around when you're already agreed on terms with a customer and the prior manager that already went home. Very frustrating to not know where you stand with your own decision making when it varies day to day and sometimes even within the day.

6. "The Right People"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Rafael, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Rafael, CA

I have been working at Penske Motor Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I work with great people. Everyone gets along, everyone works hard, everyone laughs alot. The pay is good (could always be better) and there a good benefit package.

Cons

Open positions take a long time to fill so people have to work even harder then they already do. But when someone is hired they're the right person, so I guess it is worth the wait. You do have to have a good work ethic and be willing to put in the time to get the job done.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing.

7. "Best Automotive Dealer"

Current Employee - Administrative in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Administrative in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Penske Motor Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits! Awesome work culture. As long as you're willing to put in your fair share of hard work, some downtime for fun will come naturally. Your team members become your family.

Cons

Bad location for lunch options.

Advice to Management

Please figure out a way to keep your employees engaged and motivated- many team members here become complacent over time.

8. "Manager"

Current Employee - GENERAL SALES MANAGER in Ithaca, NY
    Current Employee - GENERAL SALES MANAGER in Ithaca, NY

I have been working at Penske Motor Group full-time

Pros

I actually work at a non Penske dealership it's called Maguire auto in ny so I'm not sure how it all works at pmg but I know Greg Penske and I can only amagine how it would be to work for him he's got to be the classiest down to earth person I've ever met so hopefully one day I will join the team at pmg and can't wait when it happens

Cons

When your as big as they are things unfortunately will fall threw the cracks

Advice to Management

Never think you can't help someone succeed

"Unprofessional and disrespectful"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I worked at Penske Motor Group full-time

Pros

You get paid and decent benefits.

Cons

If you are looking to advance must be willing to suck up to management. Point proven many times.

Advice to Management

Try abiding by "The Penske way," all the time and not just when corporate leaders are around. Treat all employees with respect and gratitude.

10. "Automotive Technician"

Current Employee - Technician in El Monte, CA
    Current Employee - Technician in El Monte, CA

I have been working at Penske Motor Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

One thing that makes working for Longo so great is that, I feel the company looks out for the well being of the employees. As a automotive technician, the company ensures that all the equipment that I use is properly maintained and all safety precautions are taken to ensure that we are in a safe environment to perform our duties.

Cons

There are very few things that I could honestly complain about the company. A downside of working for a such a big dealer such as Longo is that, as a service technician, movement upwards to become a full line technician may take longer than other smaller dealers due to the amount of technicians working at this dealer.

Advice to Management

A word advice that I could suggest to management is to maintain open communication with all employees.

"GREAT COMPANY TO WORK FOR!"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in El Monte, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in El Monte, CA

I have been working at Penske Motor Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I have been working for this company since 2006! If I did the math right in my head that is 10 years, which seems like I just got hired yesterday; Time dose fly when you are having fun!! All I can really say is that we are really spoiled here at Longo by Greg Penske. We have amazing benefits like 401K, medical, dental and vision plans. If you think that isn't enough how about our personal gym that we have down stairs, along with a personal trainer!! All at no cost, completely FREE! These are some of the perks that comes along when working at the #1 Toyota dealership in the world!

Let's not forget the great people that work here; we have a huge diverse group of people. Longo is like a big family; we all help and care for one another.

There is a lot of great opportunities that this company has to offer and if you apply yourself you will become very successful!

Cons

I guess the only thing I can say is that Longo is like my first home instead of my second, but I work in sales! lol

Advice to Management

Keep pushing us to think bigger and then even bigger and bigger than that!!!!