Penske Reviews | Glassdoor

Penske Reviews

Updated July 19, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good pay offsite work new trucks (in 11 reviews)

• Decent benefits, it was a pleasant work environment and I got to work with great people in an interesting industry (in 9 reviews)

"Truck Driver"

Former Employee - Class A Truck Driver in Flat Rock, MI
    Former Employee - Class A Truck Driver in Flat Rock, MI

I worked at Penske full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fairly good overall if you are on of "their boys".

Cons

Short on experienced management. If you battle right and wrong, their ego will win.

Advice to Management

None

"Very Hard work, worth it if you are able to do it."

Former Employee - Picker in Shelby, IN
    Former Employee - Picker in Shelby, IN

I worked at Penske full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great pay rate if capable to do the hard work, also a very friendly environment with a guaranteed 1$ raise per year.

Cons

Twenty plus miles of walking per day with and upwards of thirty five to forty thousand pounds of lifting a day.

Advice to Management

Fix the way Pickers are trained, it is kind of here's the info now do it kind of training.

"Administrative clerk"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Allentown, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Allentown, PA

Pros

Good benefits Aetna health care

Cons

No advancement opportunities. Heavy internal drama

4. "Lost"

Former Employee - Operations Supervisor in Macedonia, OH
    Former Employee - Operations Supervisor in Macedonia, OH

Pros

Good Salary. Will spend money on anything and i mean anything.

Cons

To many to list mostly ops manager is lost. No accountability for anyone above supervisor level.

Advice to Management

Get people with actual experience in warehousing and distribution at your Macedonia location.

"Watch Out"

Former Employee - Technician in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Technician in Atlanta, GA

Pros

They do offer training,and the pay is average to above average for most people. It is a good way to start out.

Cons

If you leave, management will harass your next employer, over and over again. My employer finds it funny that an Atlanta shop would not have anything better to do than complain that they couldn't keep happy employee in the shop. How sad is that? Really, they will send e-mails, threaten business contacts that they DON'T control. In fact isn't that Coercion ???

Advice to Management

If you don't stop with certain tactics , you might receive a very unwelcome charge in a court of law

6. "Diesel tech"

Former Employee - Diesel Mechanic in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Diesel Mechanic in Memphis, TN

I worked at Penske (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay offsite work new trucks

Cons

Work every weekend unfair management buddy buddy system works good with Penske

Advice to Management

Start all the way over with management

7. "Hiker"

Former Employee - Hiker in Neville Island, PA
    Former Employee - Hiker in Neville Island, PA

Pros

There are NONE with the management team that they have assembled.

Cons

This Company is so cheap when it comes to rental clerks that work the rental desk and the hikers that transport their trucks to all the different locations. The name of the game to move off of the rental desk is "WHO YOU KNOW", not "WHAT YOU KNOW". The management team that they have in place in the Western Pittsburgh Area are some are the stupidest people that I have ever encountered. ( I was working as a HIKER at part-time hours for next to nothing without ANY desires of moving up any ones ladder and I was the SHOP STEWARD so I got to see and deal with all the IDIOTS that were in management including the head man) . It is really pathetic to see what their ideal idiots are made into management, they would and have had problems managing to stay out of their own way. It does not get any better when you deal with the idiots in the home base of READING, PA. I hope Roger is happy with his choice of which way he is going down the road with this division. Give it time with these buck passers in charge, it is only a matter of time before you meet the brick wall at the end.

Advice to Management

Find PEOPLE that KNOW how to MANAGE other PEOPLE. Find PEOPLE that know how to work with PEOPLE without ALIENATING them every chance they get. Fine PEOPLE that know when lower employees make recommendations, there is one hell of a chance they know what they are talking about.. Roger, get off your duff and look at all the duff kissing people that will turn and run when the chips don't go their way and find people that CARE about their fellow employees.

8. "Over Promise and Under Deliver"

Current Employee - Manager - Enterprise Solutions in Erlanger, KY
    Current Employee - Manager - Enterprise Solutions in Erlanger, KY

Pros

A few influential individuals that I gravitated to during my transition that were very helpful.

Cons

Penske bought our company out and we were promised all these great things once we switched over to Penske. When we switched, there were Payroll issues, 401K issues, HR issues, No training to new systems, and after you trained Penkse employees with your contacts and processes you were asked to separate from the company, Very unprofessional company who is out to buy several more companies so be aware.

Advice to Management

Hold a promise and eliminate the political nonsense that takes place. Best day of my life was when I separated.

"Not a career"

Current Employee - Corporate Sales Manager in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Corporate Sales Manager in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Penske full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You may get to meet some great influential people. No other positive things to share at all.

Cons

They will make many false promises in the courting process. They fail to pay out incentives and bonuses. There is a complete lack of training, leadership and oversight.

Advice to Management

I would only recommend this company to people that need a paycheck while looking for a job with real long term opportunity.

10. "Management Trainee"

Former Employee - Penske in West Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Penske in West Sacramento, CA

I worked at Penske full-time

Pros

Great training programs to help you succeed. Lower starting salary, but generous benefits and profit sharing.

Cons

Renting trucks can get monotonous. Had trouble hiring competent people, which isn't a negative on Penske, but more the people applying.

Advice to Management

Make hiring quicker. We tried to hire someone for a few months before finding someone. It created a burn-out situation for those working extra hours.