Pentaho Reviews | Glassdoor

Pentaho Reviews

Updated March 6, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Pentaho has a very flexible work environment (in 6 reviews)

• Might allow different weightage of Big Data capabilty as a part of Hitachi's overall portfolio (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • No doubt the company will be fully amalgamated into Hitachi with the innovation and dynamism of a disruptive open-source vendor totally lost (in 3 reviews)

• ve lost almost all of their west sales team that I was on (in 3 reviews)

1. "Working for Pentaho has shown me that there are companies out there that make work enjoyable every day."

Current Employee - Employee in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Employee in Orlando, FL

Pros

From the culture of the company to the people I work with, Pentaho is an excellent company to work for. Full of very intellectual and business orientated personnel with a single goal in mind. To make Pentaho successful.
    Good benefits and salary.

Cons

Sometimes need to put in extra hours to get things done. Not necessarily a con depending on your work habits.

Advice to Management

The only advice I would give to management is to be more communicative between department heads, foster growth and learning and provide resources earlier so that we can be fire retardant rather than fire fight when issues arise.

2. "Best company I've ever worked for"

Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Pentaho full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I'm happy to be at Pentaho. The company culture is open and fun while still maintaining a professional atmosphere. People here are good at what they do and also take what they do seriously. If you want to push yourself and be with a corporation that's doing big things, this is the place.

Cons

I have no complaints about Pentaho. This is a great place. The work is great, as are the benefits.

"Great company, quirky individuals"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

I worked at Pentaho full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay, wonderful benefits. Laid-back atmosphere; these people like to party! Every day is casual day; some folks live in T-shirts & shorts. Watch out for the break room, though; it's stuffed with every junk food you can think of (maybe the occasional fruit, lol), as well as beer and wine. People are friendly. Open seating (assigned). Dedicated to embracing Agile methodology, and good at teaching newcomers...

Cons

Some individuals can make or break your experience at this company. Insiders tend to be a bit clique-ish.

Advice to Management

-- Consider encouraging people to apply for other internal positions if/when there are personnel/personality conflicts.
    -- If a manager has gone through several direct reports in a relatively short time, the problem might be with that manager's expectations.

5. "Great Company!"

Current Employee - Technical Staff in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Technical Staff in New York, NY

I have been working at Pentaho full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to work! A very talented and ambitious group of people .

Cons

- No cons, everything is good.

Advice to Management

You are on the right track!

"Excellent senior management, great market position"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Orlando, FL

I worked at Pentaho full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very hot business area
    Very professional sales and marketing operation
    Good constructive attitude at all levels
    Good ongoing training for field teams
    Good compensation packages

Cons

Very competitive market
    High pressure
    Lots of growth mean knowledge can be spread thinly

Advice to Management

Focus on the product

"Unstructured Company"

Current Employee - Tech Support in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Tech Support in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Pentaho full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Atmosphere was laid back, and has a good floor plan.. has a bar and free soda

Cons

Terrible interview questions
    Managers do not know how to Decipher Good potential employees and bad
    people looked like they hated their job

Advice to Management

Do not base your understanding of a prospected employee off of a role play scenario made up on the spot... Prospects do not know your structures or systems you use , so asking them how they would handle a scenario/ trouble shoot a Pentaho issue is not a valid question. the information is not there nor the training... Again bad interview questions = Bad Management.. Find other opportunities

8. "Amazing place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Pentaho full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people are great and it's always fun to come to work. You feel like you're going to hang out with friends and get stuff done. I look forward to going to work every day.

Cons

Some of the people are political and there are lots of growing pains as the company is rapidly getting bigger. That is a really small fraction, though, and I think it mostly affects management. There is really no formal on board training, which makes ramping up challenging. You have be comfortable with change and moving fast to fit in.

"High Energy, pre-IPO company, great benefits, and interesting technology platform"

Former Employee - Senior Java Developer in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Senior Java Developer in Orlando, FL

I worked at Pentaho full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Take good care of employee's, work hard, play hard - 3 week sprint cycles (Agile/Scrum) and lot's of different technology integration.

Cons

Culture may not be a match for some people not into team drinking (full stocked bar). Still a young crowd in an open space floor plan (very noisy and distracting).

"Nice try but not going anywhere"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Orlando, FL

I worked at Pentaho full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I loved the size and unique atmosphere. There are some wonderful people at this company. The benefits and work environment are second to none. The founders are excellent people and the engineers are a joy to work with and extremely intelligent. I enjoyed going to work here every day until politics and drama got in the way. Sales execs are more concerned with a CYA approach to metrics than they are in actually cornering the market by developing a dominating approach to winning business.

Cons

The product may be a winner but the reason the company is not growing at the rate it should is because the marketing department runs a good portion of the sales team. They are learning on the fly. The result? An eroding business plan with unrealistic expectations, they have succeeded in corrupting an environment that was once a great place to work. The entire team lacks communication, focus and discipline. The marketing team exhausts the sales team by asking for their opinions and then paralyzing them in group thought exercises. This brainstorming hell goes on for hours each week...with very little change taking place. I found myself singing Kumbiyah to appease the top brass rather than focusing on my job of selling a brand. There is a constant turnover on the sales side of the organization and they are burning through good people fast.

Advice to Management

Get your sales reps out in the field. Force reps to do outbound prospecting, they are spoiled and rely entirely on what falls into their lap. Set metrics for a minimum amount of demos each month rather than accepted opportunities. Do you see how this caters to them accepted opportunities caters to their metrics? It has no defining qualities...Hire more sales engineers and start training people from the inside rather than looking elsewhere constantly. Pull the fire alarm and acquire visualizations out of the box to compete with tableau, jasper and good data. The market is becoming more competitive each day.

"Could Have Potential"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Pentaho full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Helpful coworkers to help you learn. People at your level in different areas are good people.

Cons

People are unhappy in every position. People don't tend to stay long. Many good people leave.

Advice to Management

Focus on current employee base so people don't keep leaving due to discontent

Pentaho Response

Feb 24, 2014 – Human Resources

Thanks for your honest feedback here. I’m happy to hear that you find coworkers to be helpful and welcome you to reach out to me to discuss your thoughts in detail. We’re always striving to make ... More