Pentair Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.1
John Stauch

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Management cares about its workers and takes care to hire good people" (in 41 reviews)

• "Good Company to work, Healthy work life balance" (in 16 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"A culture that lets you grow"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Golden Valley, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Golden Valley, MN

I have been working at Pentair full-time

Pros

GREAT work life balance
    Leaders are focused on coaching/teaching instead of delegating
    Good visibility with the c-suite
    The new Pentair is based on our win right values and focuses on balancing accountability with empathy for others.

Really great place to start off your career. I've never experienced the coaching and opportunity Pentair offers at other companies.

Cons

We are a lean organization, sometimes we run VERY lean.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in coaching/teaching programs for your employee. Developing employees at a young age for long careers at Pentair.

2. "Great place to work with an exciting future ahead."

Current Employee - Marketing in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Marketing in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Pentair full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Focused vision, strong leadership, on trend categories, great people, willing to invest in growth, huge potential.

Cons

Much change and need to be able to work on a culture and company that is evolving.

Advice to Management

Continue to communicate and focus on the most significant growth priorities.

3. "Great Potential"

Current Employee - Scientist in White Bear Lake, MN
    Current Employee - Scientist in White Bear Lake, MN

I have been working at Pentair full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company has some really great people and amazing potential to make a difference in water resources. Since the restructure, there have been concerted efforts to build a positive functional corporate culture and to put resources toward innovation. Pay is good and benefits average.

Cons

Communication between the Tech leadership and Marketing could be better, and provide a clearer direction for efforts.

Advice to Management

Also, don't be stingy with your R&D - it will pay off in the end.

4. "Good products horribly managed"

I worked at Pentair full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Profitable company and some decent products.

Cons

Pay was well below average and salary freezes were implemented last year. No opportunity for advancement whatsoever including directly telling employees they are needed where they are so don’t expect anything better. Several months back the wrong people were promoted or hired into management positions and the company culture badly suffered from incompetent managers doing anything possible including being dishonest and throwing other managers and even their own direct reports under the bus to try to cover up their own incompetence. Also they can’t seem to ever release any new products and the quality engineering department is a revolving door of disgruntled employees who are treated very disrespectfully. Also some of the assembly personnel are illiterate which can make it difficult to control processes. Furthermore the production managers are constantly in conflict with quality and engineering so they can meet their production goals and look good to higher ups no matter the consequences. Layoffs and salary freezes in-spite if record sales and profits. Forced retirements of older employees so they can be replaced by younger less expensive employees.

5. "Full time office employee"

I have been working at Pentair full-time

Pros

Very flexible environment. Great management.

Cons

Large workload per employee - but they trust you!

6. "Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Solon, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Solon, OH

I worked at Pentair full-time

Pros

It was a good place to work for the most part. A lot of smart people to work with and learn from, good wellness program, reasonable benefit costs.

Cons

Company has been going through a lot of change which can be frustrating at times. Changes are rolled out in a somewhat chaotic manner and are reactive to say the least without much follow through or thinking ahead.

7. "Restructure is taking it down"

I worked at Pentair full-time

Pros

Good Benefits, Good Pay, Good Location

Cons

Restructure of Organization has taken a bad turn on current employees, many are leaving or do not like working there anymore. They are also trying to cut cost everywhere - and employees can no longer get the benefits that they used to.

8. "Fine place to work"

Former Employee - Winder in Chardon, OH
    Former Employee - Winder in Chardon, OH

I worked at Pentair full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I know a kid who was able to start at 18. He busted his butt, wound great tanks, mostly hit at or above their rate for amount he had to produce, and low amounts of them were scrapped out due to him doing something wrong (letting tanks pass with poor quality control, or other error due to negligence.)

He had, for the most part I believe, the same benefits as I did but possibly a bit worse but can't see by very much really.

He made decent money know he made somewhere around $14-$15 an hour before he was there three months. Personally I made more than $15 but less than $17 an hour for the same job but had 8 more years experience. I am an older guy though and understand what there doing for younger kids too and I appreciate that because they help out the economy quite a bit around that age and if they have better jobs they can spend more, on average.

I ended up leaving due to a move and didn't live near a pentair or I may have went back. Good benefits, good pay, pay depending on job so harder machines to operate that require more knowledge have higher paid operators. At this place I think the winders were the highest paid and he got in closer to fall/winter months before it was super busy so he was able to train during a slower time which is what most successful older guys had happen. I know men that have worked there doing the same thing for 30-40+ years and there was obviously a huge experience gap between them and a young kid, but if they make him happy and he stays for 20 years that's as good as an investment as someone who's been there 30 years but started older since the older guys like me made tanks slower usually.

Don't know if he's still there but he looked happy most of the time I seen him and don't think he had any problems there. It was his first job that wasn't McDonald's probably and the pay and benefits alone would probably stun him for a while before he can find a better place. Even then they want to work with them, maybe pay for schooling even if it's only to make them get education in electrician or machine work because hell make about double what he does now and have a ton of overtime opportunities.

Cons

Well the breaks were slightly too short in my opinion. I'd have loved an extra 5 minutes because that enables you to smoke a cigarette, get a drink and maybe come out prepared better. Sometimes we need ppe but if you can only get one cigarette in during the 2 15 minute breaks you also have to leave a few minutes earlier for time to get all ppe from vending machine if needed, use the bathroom or do whatever. We get 30 minute lunch break but you might want to smoke then eat or vice versa and sometimes an extra 5 minutes would keep stress a bit lower so they don't hurry in and forget something. This all depends on how fast you can be with everything but 1-2 minutes to pee and wash hands (they're dirty from the shop too or you might have something on you like at my place the resin can get on you and if it dries it may cause a rash, usually not but if it happens it's annoying.

There's not too many at this specific place that I can point out. Just try to listen, work hard and do your part and even go a tiny bit extra to make everyone else have a slightly easier job and you'll notice them doing the same. Most of the people there were nice, great diversity young and old, black and white, slender and larger. Sometimes it might not work out, it might be pentairs fault, the coworkers fault or even the operators fault but no one likes to admit it was them so the blame is usually on nobody with everyone pointing fingers.

Advice to Management

I wouldn't let operators know you're watching them sometimes, see how they do and watch them sometimes and let them know. Gauge how they are with and without authority watching. All shifts usually did that from what I seen, but not everyone got watched as hard, probably for specified reasons though. They aren't too hard on you unless it's a very important issue or you've worked there 5 years and messed it up every week. There were guys they gave an insane amount of chances too, didn't write him up for a lot of things, but he messed things up for people for a while thinking since he was there for 4 years he wouldn't get fired that easily. He was wrong because after probably longer than 3 months of him doing this he was let go.

9. "Employee Communications"

Former Employee - Valve Automation Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Valve Automation Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Pentair full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent Product, Global Network and Brand equity

Cons

Poor information sharing with employees

Advice to Management

Please be more transparent with employees

10. "Value Stream Manager"

I have been working at Pentair full-time

Pros

Good lean experience and lean tools

Cons

pay and overall career growth