Pentegra Retirement Services Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated August 8, 2017

Full-timePart-time

John E. Pinto

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Great Company-- Great People"

I have been working at Pentegra Retirement Services full-time

Pros

Pentegra is a great company that has been around for almost 75 years . Recently, Pentegra has received some bad press on Glassdoor – it’s time we recognize what is right at Pentegra on Glassdoor!

Pentegra affords all employees the ability to make a good living, increase their overall industry knowledge, receive their professional designations, and attain a higher level of education. Pentegra offers competitive benefits including health & welfare plans, education benefits, a 401(k) plan with an above average matching contribution, a cash balance plan offered to all full time regular employees, comfortable work environment in all locations along with flexible work arrangements with at home work opportunities for many positions. Pentegra has consistently given raises to employees even during market downturns such as the major downturns of 2008 and 2009. All employees have bonus opportunity which is based on both individual and corporate results.

The senior management team is accessible to all employees, they are honest and forthcoming—second to none in terms of integrity—the team does not live by the motto—“us first and the employees last”—we are in this together. The senior team realizes the biggest asset to Pentegra are the folks who come to work every day. The entire company wants to do the right thing—for our employees, clients and advisors—we care!!! We have a CEO who is honest as the day is long and approachable. He cares about the organization and the people in it. Employees genuinely like each other here.

Rather than focus on the negative comments from former employees who may or may not have voluntarily resigned, we are continuing to move forward. Many of the employees that have voluntarily left over the last few years to explore other opportunities have approached us to return. We have re-hired many former employees and are happy to have them back where they belong. When people want to return it speaks volumes about an organization.

Cons

My only negative though with regard to Pentegra is that I didn’t get here sooner in my career!

"Sales Director"

I worked at Pentegra Retirement Services full-time

Pros

Total benefits package very competitive.

Cons

Old company culture identified as needing to be changed was good, however very slow to implement. Not as entrepreneur mind set as is needed in competitive environment

Advice to Management

Need real sales management and training to empower employees.

"My Co-workers Are Awesome"

I have been working at Pentegra Retirement Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people at Pentegra are great. It's like a family and it feels like they really care.
     I've seen people come together to support each other both inside and outside of work. That doesn't happen everywhere. There is flexibility in scheduling that is valuable to me. The benefits the company offers are just as good or better than the other places I've seen.

Cons

There is room for advancement but I'm hoping as the company grows there will be even more opportunities in the future.

4. "Turn Over is Unbelievable"

Former Employee - Office Support Role in White Plains, NY
    Former Employee - Office Support Role in White Plains, NY

I worked at Pentegra Retirement Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free coffee and tea and parking.

Cons

Senior management is not aware of inner workings of lower level employees and the time each task actually takes to perform and does not consider how the uncertainty of parts of that work regarding quantities which could not be predicted and how it affects your intended schedule. Work tasks/responsibilities were so many and tightly scheduled that any added volume would keep you from completing the daily workload. There were not enough hours in the day to get all the work done.

Benefits were not that good and expensive for what you got for the money. Hospitalization coverage was nearly nonexistent.

Salary was ok but low for what was expected of you. Management shys away from approved overtime for some and not others. You cannot get your job done without it.

Some employees are treated differently in an unfair way and have much too much leeway in how they choose to work with others. Bad behavior seems to be rewarded here.

Advice to Management

Needs a serious revamping at the top though 2 levels down. It is so obvious to all there are favorites and those who are not surely know it.

"Clueless Senior Management"

I worked at Pentegra Retirement Services full-time

Pros

Some friendly co-workers, free coffee and ample parking spaces. That's about it and I'm reaching on those.

Cons

Of all the problems this company has, they stem from the top. All of the Senior VPs have been around way too long (20+ years in most cases) and exhibit absolutely real world direction or vision. Completely pathetic. Add to that a Board of Directors that has no clue about the retirement plan industry. There is no career path, a bunch of old school managers and zero excitement. Only work here as a last resort.

Advice to Management

Resign.

6. "Don't fall for the lies"

Current Employee - Director in White Plains, NY
    Current Employee - Director in White Plains, NY

I have been working at Pentegra Retirement Services full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

None ok parking is convenient....and that's about it, it's a matter of time before the coffee is gone.....one great leader in the entire place....you know who you are

Cons

Everything- the 7 dirty words of business are still there although they claim they've changed..."but that's the way we do it here"

Advice to Management

Divest and sell the company to a competitor....maybe a real firm can save you from yourselves

Pentegra Retirement Services Response

May 15, 2017 – Senior Vice President, Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. We do appreciate all feedback. We are a changing company and change is not always easy. We have a staff of people at all levels that care... More

7. "Flexible Work Environment, Great Colleagues"

I have been working at Pentegra Retirement Services full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The people who work at Pentegra are wonderful. With very few exceptions, everyone is helpful, smart, and willing to go above and beyond, and really are what make Pentegra a good place to work. Senior management is not just there to collect a paycheck; they seem to genuinely care about employees and the company overall, and hold regular "status update" meetings with employees to keep people informed and get feedback.

Flex-time schedules are an option, as is the ability to work from home. There is a decent vacation time/personal day package as well.

There is an education program that provides for bonuses and raises upon earning certifications, so there is a great incentive to learn and grow with the company.

Cons

A lot of the great things about Pentegra stem from the fact that it is not a large company. It gives it a "community" feel. But this is also the source of some negatives as well. Resources (staff & budget) can be limited, and as a result overtime is expected during some busy times of year. Benefits are still on par with the industry average, but have been cut back several times over the last few years.

Advice to Management

Remember that most employees want to succeed and do a good job. Providing them with the ability to service clients well (through training and clear, written, streamlined procedures, along with pathways for advancement) is a win for all.

8. "Administrative Assistant"

I have been working at Pentegra Retirement Services (More than 5 years)

Pros

This company is a great company to work for. Management is super flexible and always willing to help. The employees are very knowledgeable and are quick to respond to questions.

Cons

As of now I do not have any cons that I can think. My 6 years of employment have been great and I am looking forward to many more.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

9. "Forward Thinking Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in White Plains, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in White Plains, NY

I have been working at Pentegra Retirement Services (More than 10 years)

Pros

Treat employees well and fosters innovation and creative thinking; lots of opportunity for advancement and company values hard work and works hard to keep employees happy

Cons

Company and processes have changed. Some people may view this negatively because change can be hard for some people

Advice to Management

Keep things moving in the right direction--we're on on great path and are growing rapidly!

"Politics in Management"

Pros

Flexible work schedule and good benefits.

Cons

There's a tangled web of politics within the management level.