Penton Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Penton CEO David Kieselstein
David Kieselstein

Pros
Cons
  • no benefits, no 401k match, no bonuses (in 14 reviews)

• Upper management is far removed from the real challenges (in 21 reviews)

1. "Friendly co-workers but outdated and uninspiring work"

I worked at Penton part-time

Pros

+ Friendly co-workers
    + Good location in Manhattan
    + Nice-sized office with tons of free coffee, tea and the occasional free food

Cons

- Work is boring and uninspiring
    - Co-workers are friendly but are mostly on the older side, so if you are younger, you may feel out of place
    - High turn-around
    - Most people looked tired and overworked, doesn't seem to enjoy their jobs
    - Low pay

2. "Review"

Pros

Great place for growth and opportunity.

Cons

Demanding, but can be very rewarding.

3. "Great Place To Work"

I worked at Penton full-time

Pros

Very smart people at Penton

Cons

Focused on near-term bottom line over long-term growth

Advice to Management

Invest

"Overall good experience, appreciated my opportunities during my tenure, wish new management had seen more value in me"

Pros

Traveled a lot for my job so I had some fun/interesting experiences, met some great people and really enjoyed working with most of my fellow employees. My role at Penton helped launch my career, and I am thankful for the opportunities I had while I was there. I worked hard and was rewarded with regular raises and good feedback. Allowed me to work remotely, though I did feel like an outsider at times because I was not working in an office with others on my team.

Cons

Though I liked my managers personally, communication from upper management was often lacking, though I did appreciate not having someone hovering over my shoulder all the time. I'm sure they had a lot on their plate. I just felt like a lot of times I was not included in strategy discussions and would have liked to have been involved more. Was always a struggle to procure new equipment or software for my job because we never seemed to have the budget for it, though they were generous when it came to travel expenses. I was laid off due to a position elimination when the brand I was working on was discontinued by a new supervisor who took over our group. He never reached out to me at all to talk to me about how my skill set could be of further benefit to the new direction he was taking the group in, so after 8 years of service there, that was frustrating. Overall I am appreciate my time there though and feel proud of the work I did.

6. "Good company with great growth potential."

Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in New York, NY

I have been working at Penton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Laid back corporate culture, good health insurance. Now that Penton has been acquired by Informa the health insurance will be better and employees will have the opportunity to get matching 401k and pensions.

Cons

Can't think of any cons.

Advice to Management

Stay the course!

"small fish in big pond"

Current Employee - Event Marketing Coordinator in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Event Marketing Coordinator in New York, NY

I have been working at Penton (Less than a year)

Pros

Large company, lots of different pockets and niches to find yourself in. Expanding which means there is room to grow possibly. People are always willing to help out

Cons

Company is very large so depending on location that you're in, completely impacts whether or not you will like the job. I would suggest learning how your job and boss relates to New York office. How much they are in communication. A lot of what happens on the west coast goes unknown. HR is in kansas, inconvenient.

Advice to Management

Review your managing directors more closely. Not enough balance of power. Employee's can really feel like they are at the bottom of a totem pole with no recourse.

8. "Great place"

Pros

Flexible work schedule, good work life balance

Cons

Communication from upper management could be better

9. "Forward-looking"

I have been working at Penton full-time

Pros

Smart about conversion to digital

Cons

Non stop forecasting process can distract from core work

Advice to Management

bring back 401k match

"Micromanaged and Lack of Appreciation"

Pros

*Benefits - they are basic but vision is amazing really.
    *Co-workers - amazing and talented people work here and are ready and willing to help you when you get stuck or are overloaded.

Cons

*No 401(k) match
    *No college tuition assistance
    *Work from home is not a perk - it doesn't exist. Don't let a manager tell you (a new hire) that such a thing exists. You will get guilt tripped about working from home and that it should only be for extenuating circumstances that only benefit the director.
    *No bonuses
    *Pay is far below industry average.
    *No room to move up into management or growth - unless you have less than 1 year experience in the department and get promoted into management because the director isn't afraid of you or how you operate as an employee. Afraid that you'll call them out on idiotic policies or sorority politics.
    *Micromanaging directors who are given too much power by the company via the handbook (many rules are stated but followed by "with supervisor approval or discretion" leaving an open hole for supervisors to take advantage of their power.
    *No acknowledgment of your work and how well you are doing from upper management, unless you have done some over the top great thing it is swept under the rug. You have to be in the elite groups or part of a huge project to get any kind of acknowledgement or even an "atta boy."
    *Training is minimal for new employees. They are often sat with employees who have barely been around for a year or two and are then not taught proper procedures or complete training. They are missing key aspects needed for the job at hand and even a year into their employment are still missing key factors.
    *Employees are told to be honest and open and bring to attention as soon as aware to managment any issues that have arisen, such as being late to work due to public transportation issues, but then being scolded and told that one must know this and let the management know before hand. (how to anticipate buses or ride shares of being late is beyond me)
    *Management patrols the aisles to ensure employees arrive on time and have on multiple occasions asked if the hours are still working out for them, but this is only in reference to employees who work slightly earlier hours instead of starting at 8 am. Anyone starting at 8 am or after don't seem to get watched as closely.
    *Arbitary rules and conditions are created for the departments in regards to the directors management style regardless of what employees need. Not every employee works well with certain styles and a good manager will understand that and try to accommodate within reason.
    *No communication, many important pieces of information are not shared with those in the trenches and are left for us to learn on our own without any kind of direction. If information is shared it is usually last minute and without training.
    *Fun is not allowed, laughing is frowned upon, and anything other than working your fingers to the bone is not appropriate. Don't use the first floor bathroom, there is a water fountain on the floor and no need to go downstairs to the lunchroom to get ice and water (only place to get ice is the lunchroom), you shouldn't leave your desk for more than a few minutes. It feels like we are in school and have to raise our hands or get a hall pass just to use the restroom or go get some fresh air. Anything beyond a fast restroom break or if you leave the floor is to be considered part of your 15 minute break. However, I do not see this being forced upon smokers.

Advice to Management

Listen to the little people. Listen to what we have to say. Check your policies, make rock solid - across the company policies and stop giving so much power to management over trivial items like when you can take vacation, instead of a first come first serve basis. Or micromanaging time cards and bathroom breaks or seeing if an employee is 1 minute late to their desk in the mornings. Focus on the bigger issues, focus on creating a positive work environment. Punish/Talk to employees that need it and praise/reward those who are doing their job and doing it well. Stop promoting incompetency and idiocy. Promote honest hard working employees who actually deserve it and have experience and tenure.

11. "N/A"

Pros

Work-Life balance is great here.

Cons

No room for growth for those looking for it

Advice to Management

Invest in your employees