Penzeys Spices Reviews

Updated Apr 8, 2022

Found 90 of over 91 reviews

3.6
Penzeys Spices CEO William Penzey Jr (no image)
William Penzey Jr

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Your coworkers are great.(in 10 reviews)
  • "Flexible Scheduling and friendly environment(in 3 reviews)
  • "The store staff and home office staff are friendly and supportive.(in 3 reviews)
  • "So proud to have worked for a company that cares about people as much as Penzeys!(in 3 reviews)
  • "Low stress generally.(in 2 reviews)
Cons
  • "Managers are handicapped daily to make the decisions they have been hired to make (or have they been hired to stoke the owner’s ego?) which has a domino effect down the lines and the stores end up having no faith in what corporate is doing.(in 6 reviews)
  • "Pay is low.(in 6 reviews)
  • "Dealing with customers who more times than not are unkind and if they give a bad review, upper management will take their side no matter how ridiculous the complaint is...for example, if a customer brings in a 5 year old coupon and is turned down, upper management will take their side despite telling lower employees the coupon policy is to not accept expired coupons over 6 months old.(in 6 reviews)
  • "Management is completely inept, very incestious.(in 5 reviews)
  • "The work was clear but the communication with bosses or the future of company wasn't.(in 3 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. 5.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

A Good Place to Work

Jan 4, 2022 - Retail Sales Associate in Pittsburgh, PA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible schedule, competitive pay, kind management.

Cons

Some corporate directives are a little haphazard and sometimes more difficult than they need to be.

2. 2.0
    Former Employee

Owner got real political real fast

Apr 8, 2022 - Customer Service Associate
    Business Outlook

Pros

I worked with great people at my store. The hours and pay were pretty good, and the job was mostly easy. Plus the free spices, and discount were great!

Cons

Unfortunately the owner was very political, and I think he also expected us to engage in discussions with the customers about politics. It started out as a peace and love kind of place and evolved into a pretty hateful judgmental environment. We had a lot of threats against us as his messages got more hateful towards certain people. It was also frustrating because the owner basically did what ever he wanted when ever he wanted, so there was a lot of times we were unprepared for sales.There was a lot of stuff they did that just didn’t make sense, and usually ended up in lots of waste! The managers were very nice but not very helpful with concerns, because they didn’t have a lot of say in what happens. It was like a dictatorship where no one else’s thoughts or opinions mattered.

3. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Advertising Schtick Doesn't Match the Culture

Jan 16, 2022 - Customer Service Associate in Dallas, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

Free spices from the employee bin plus a 30% off discount off of everything, including sale items. Flexibility from manager about days off and working with your schedule. Store manager and staff were fantastic to work with and made the frustrating aspects more bearable. Pay starts above average for the retail and private sector but does not change over time and raises are meager at best.

Cons

Disclaimer: Everything said here is about the corporate office and those above store manager level. If you get frustrated easily, this is not the place for you. Promotions are decided and changes are made with sometimes as little as two hours to prepare with no forethought to the actual implementation process and consideration for managers at the store level needing to adequately staff. Corporate office is out of touch with how individual stores operate and the needs and realities of employees and store managers. The owner is insulated and shielded from the goings-on in his company and is instead too focused on taking a stand politically instead of running his business. He spent 700k on political ads but can't keep his stores open and shuts down stores whose leases are up.

4. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Peaceful Penzeys

Feb 14, 2022 - Retail Sales Associate
    Business Outlook

Pros

Low-stress, kind manager, great discount, smells delicious Pays well for retail

Cons

Hard to get enough hours, even as a part-time worker

5. 4.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

Jul 13, 2021 - Sales Associate in San Diego, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Wonderful coworkers and management, low stress, mostly nice customers, employee discount of 30% off everything, fair pay, flexible schedule, and free seasonings in the employee bin

Cons

The average person only gets to work 2 days/16 hours a week. The maximum is 3 days/24 hrs a week. A great job if you’re retired or have another side job.

6. 5.0
    Former Employee

Favorite Job Ever

Jun 10, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

I absolutely LOVED my time at Penzeys. Customers really are the number one priority, and I have never worked anywhere that prioritized life-work balance more. They do things differently than any other retail store I've experienced, and it works. So proud to have worked for a company that cares about people as much as Penzeys!

Cons

Not much say in how the local store is set up or run.

7. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Fine for what it was

May 16, 2021 - Call Center Representative in Wauwatosa, WI
    Business Outlook

Pros

Some fun coworkers, free spices and food, good Christmas party.

Cons

I share similar views to Bill Penzey but he writes highly political things (which seems great to some) but the call center is who deals with the angry phone calls. It can be a lot. I imagine it is especially difficult if you don’t also agree with his views. Also, he doesn’t pay his employees an actual livable wage and the insurance is not good/affordable, so his political statements don’t actually hold much water - they seem to feed his ego rather be based in how he lives his own life / runs his own business.

3 people found this review helpful
  8. 5.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

I loved working at Penzeys!

Jul 15, 2020 - Retail Sales Associate
    Business Outlook

Pros

Penzeys really focuses on kindness and on meeting each customer's individual needs. I felt a great deal of autonomy as a retail sales associate. We were given basic operations and customer service expectations, and then were allowed some freedom as to how we managed our time and learned about Penzeys products, so we could connect with customers in a very congenial and helpful way. I really loved working at Penzeys. The hours were fantastic, too. No early mornings or late evenings. Good pay for a part-time retail job, and manager was amazing at trying to help every employee get the days off they requested. I found Bill Penzey's corporate culture and advertising messages to be inspiring...that's a main reason why I went to work there.

Cons

Sometimes our manager wouldn't give us enough specific directives, so employees would sometimes interpret and execute guidelines from corporate differently, but that was not a very big deal. In general, I felt like we had a lot of support, both from our local manager and from the corporate staff.

1 person found this review helpful
  9. 5.0
    Current Employee

Genuinely great place to work

Apr 11, 2021 - Customer Service Associate
    Business Outlook

Pros

Caring company, arranged vaccinations for employees, generous and flexible employer. Great products.

Cons

Honestly, none. It's a great place to work.

10. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Amazing

Mar 22, 2021 - Retail Sales Associate in Albany, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Bonuses Time and a half pay on Sundays Short hours Flexibility Great Customer Service Job Friendly staff and customers Discounts

Cons

No complaints as for cons, sometimes the customers but that is retail for you.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 90 Reviews

Penzeys Spices Reviews FAQs

Penzeys Spices has an overall rating of 3.6 out of 5, based on over 91 reviews left anonymously by employees. 64% of employees would recommend working at Penzeys Spices to a friend and 60% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has been stable over the past 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Penzeys Spices employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.6 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Penzeys Spices. This rating has improved by 5% over the last 12 months.

64% of Penzeys Spices employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Penzeys Spices 4.2 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.6 for culture and values and 2.5 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Penzeys Spices to be work life balance, benefits, coworkers and the cons to be career development, senior leadership, management.

Popular Careers with Penzeys Spices Job Seekers