Penzeys Spices Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.1
William Penzey Jr

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "The wages went up recently, which was nice, but I was only working the job part-time while looking for work in my field" (in 5 reviews)

• "Great products, great customers, great coworkers" (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • "LOW pay, below a living wage for full-time employees (I believe raises are" (in 6 reviews)

• "Impossible to hold 2nd part time job because of scheduling practices" (in 3 reviews)

1. "Ethical and socially responsible"

Current Employee - Part Timer
    Current Employee - Part Timer

I have been working at Penzeys Spices part-time (More than a year)

Pros

In our job descriptions, we are told kindness is of utmost importance. Having conversations with customers about food and cooking and not pushing a product are what we are about. We are introduced to "the power of I don't know", meaning we don't act like know-it-all-spice snobs and instead try to learn along with the customers. We really engage with them and it's a very pleasant place to spend time. The retail room is there for us at all times. We are encouraged to give them a ring whenever we have any questions, problems, suggestions or even just to check in and say Hi. We get to give away so much stuff as there are always coupons and freebies to pass along. When I first started, the pay was pretty low, especially for where I live. Within a year, we all received a good increase and the following year, another one. I feel like Bill Penzey truly cares about us and is trying to show that with the pay raises. Just as important as money and environment - at least to me - is the fact that he is extremely vocal about the injustices he sees in the world. It takes true character to risk profits in order to do the right thing. He really puts his money where his mouth is and I couldn't feel more proud of the company I get to work for!

Cons

There are some customers who have a problem with Bill's in-your- face politics. I suppose if you support racism, misogyny, homophobia and poverty, he seems pretty radical. Those customers can be difficult and can take their anger out on us, the hourly employees. I'm fortunate to live in a town with more kindness than anger so I am not so impacted. But some of our stores get the brunt of the vitriol and that is tough to deal with. Especially because, no matter what is said to us, we are told to always show the customer great respect and kindness.

There is only one full timer - the Keyholder. The Keyholder is responsible for making the schedules, being the bridge between the head office and some other managerial duties. It is NOT a traditional management position and sometimes that is not made clear enough to a new hire. I see no problem at all with the position, but I wish new Keyholders better understood their role. Meaning - it ain't such a big deal! Go with the flow and don't take on a superior attitude.

Advice to Management

Check in with the part timers. Maybe have them contribute to the Key Holder's reviews.

2. "The spice is right"

I worked at Penzeys Spices part-time

Pros

Great discounts on products, I really loved my coworkers so it made the job more interesting and bearable. If you love cooking and spices then its a super nice job.

Cons

The corporate management is absolutely the worst, they don't have things together at all an ended up creating a lot more work for the people in the stores. For example, one time they had us add a promotional card to all of the seasonal cards, only to tell us a few days later that they we needed to remove all of them.

Advice to Management

Get more organized, or let the individual stores make more small decisions by themselves.

"Food lovers' unite...or do they?"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Penzeys Spices full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

lots of food days, great coworkers, discussing cooking and recipes, discounts and free spices

Cons

Owner's writings are often insulting and anger inducing for those who don't share his viewpoints. Politics are polarizing by nature, so alienating half your customers makes working in customer service a hostile place to be. Not to mention, half the employees didn't agree with those views either but were scared to voice it for fear of losing their jobs

Advice to Management

Politics in food causes indigestion.

4. "Production"

Former Employee - Boxing in Wauwatosa, WI
    Former Employee - Boxing in Wauwatosa, WI

I worked at Penzeys Spices (More than a year)

Pros

Decent pay, open hours, friendly people

Cons

Monotonous work, physically challenging at times, playing christmas music during the holidays

Advice to Management

It might be helpful to rotate people through different jobs on the hour when putting together gift sets and making boxes. It's difficult to do one task for 5-8 hours straight. Also provide stools for people to sit if that works better for them.

"Retail Supervisor"

I worked at Penzeys Spices full-time

Pros

Company sells high quality spices with a message of kindness

Cons

In reality, management is very subjective, with very vague communication... ultimately hard to do quality job when trying to figure out strange, undefined "quality" of company. Apparently kindness does not extend to paying salary you can live on (for professional/supervisory position)

Advice to Management

get over yourself. absolutely believe in kindness, but some of your mgmt are egomaniacs, others actually certifiable

6. "Sales"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Overland Park, KS
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Overland Park, KS

I have been working at Penzeys Spices part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to work, love the product and my co-workers!

Cons

I can't think of a con.

Advice to Management

Limit the customer emails.

7. "Not a bad part-time retail gig"

Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate

I worked at Penzeys Spices part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I had a great manager who was pretty consistent with scheduling me and very understanding when I needed time off. The wages went up recently, which was nice, but I was only working the job part-time while looking for work in my field.

Cons

It's retail. Some customers have a greater sense of entitlement than others, and telling someone they can't use their expired coupon is never a fun time. There's also little room for advancement if you're only a part-time worker - unless my manager left, there would be no chance of me becoming a full-time employee of Penzeys.

Advice to Management

Give us more clear communication with what's expected of us during promotions, sometimes the email instructions leave things unclear and lead to confusion among the employees.

"Key holder"

I worked at Penzeys Spices full-time

Pros

Friendly and laid back work environment. Encouraged to talk with customers about cooking, life and just have a good time socializing

Cons

Ownership is extremely liberal and spews his political views onto his employees and customers

9. "Keyholder"

I worked at Penzeys Spices full-time

Pros

Great place to work, great hours, friendly environment

Cons

Not a good long term career

"part time sales"

Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate

I worked at Penzeys Spices (More than a year)

Pros

relaxed work environment, nice employee discount on products

Cons

key holders are not given true management authority ,with exception of scheduling all employees rotate responsibilities in store and not compensated well, regional management out of touch with local markets, low pay,

Advice to Management

trust your keyholders to hire their own people and schedule them for what works in their market. allow part time employees to work partial day shifts you will retain more people, pay your people better too much responsibility for what you currently compensate