Penzeys Spices Reviews | Glassdoor

Found 67 reviews

Penzeys Spices CEO William Penzey Jr
William Penzey Jr
Pros
Cons
  • "Having been a part-time associate and then a key holder it amazes me that some think this job is the most fantastic place on earth(in 4 reviews)

• "Impossible to hold 2nd part time job because of scheduling practices(in 4 reviews)

1. Wonderful!

I worked at Penzeys Spices full-time

Pros

The CEO is compassionate and kind. Genuinely good person. The company cares about its people.

Cons

Pay for retail employees could be a little higher.

2. If you can stomach the political insults it's fine

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Kenosha, WI

I worked at Penzeys Spices for more than 2 years

Pros

the spices are good quality

Cons

The CEO hates conservatives and makes it known by calling them racists and constantly blaming them for everything wrong with the country. He also hates the president and uses every chance to bash him and bash him and conservatives in his "spice" newsletter, that isn't really about cooking at all, unless it is cooking up controversy

Advice to Management

Stick to cooking food

Not the best

Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Penzeys Spices part-time

Pros

Free spices, starting hourly wage is higher than average retail to

Cons

Little to none career advancement opportunities. There is really no room for creativity or creative thinking, as everything has to be done the way management has seen to be the “best” way. While Penzeys boasts itself as a strong left-leaning company, I feel that they do not hold true to liberal ideals when it comes to taking care of their employees. Unless you are a key holder, there are only part time work opportunities....

Advice to Management

Care about your employees! Make job opportunities that reflect your political ideals! Pay your employees $15/hr!

4. Company values depicted on the outside, is not what's happening on the inside.

I worked at Penzeys Spices full-time

Pros

Your coworkers are great. They feed you twice a week for free. Benefits are great.

Cons

Employee relations favor's temporary workers over permanent workers. There are no set rules or standards, what is okay one day, isn't the next. The regular, full-time employees, are intimidated by employee relations, one wrong word or phrase will get you the 3:25 walk out. There are no second chances. Keep your head down and don't talk to anyone from ER.

Advice to Management

Practice what you preach. Kindness, the company motto is more the just a word.

5. The spice is right

I worked at Penzeys Spices part-time

Pros

Great discounts on products, I really loved my coworkers so it made the job more interesting and bearable. If you love cooking and spices then its a super nice job.

Cons

The corporate management is absolutely the worst, they don't have things together at all an ended up creating a lot more work for the people in the stores. For example, one time they had us add a promotional card to all of the seasonal cards, only to tell us a few days later that they we needed to remove all of them.

Advice to Management

Get more organized, or let the individual stores make more small decisions by themselves.

Food lovers' unite...or do they?

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Penzeys Spices full-time for more than 9 years

Pros

lots of food days, great coworkers, discussing cooking and recipes, discounts and free spices

Cons

Owner's writings are often insulting and anger inducing for those who don't share his viewpoints. Politics are polarizing by nature, so alienating half your customers makes working in customer service a hostile place to be. Not to mention, half the employees didn't agree with those views either but were scared to voice it for fear of losing their jobs

Advice to Management

Politics in food causes indigestion.

7. Ethical and socially responsible

Current Employee - Part Timer

I have been working at Penzeys Spices part-time for more than 2 years

Pros

In our job descriptions, we are told kindness is of utmost importance. Having conversations with customers about food and cooking and not pushing a product are what we are about. We are introduced to "the power of I don't know", meaning we don't act like know-it-all-spice snobs and instead try to learn along with the customers. We really engage with them and it's a very pleasant place to spend time. The retail room is...

Cons

There are some customers who have a problem with Bill's in-your- face politics. I suppose if you support racism, misogyny, homophobia and poverty, he seems pretty radical. Those customers can be difficult and can take their anger out on us, the hourly employees. I'm fortunate to live in a town with more kindness than anger so I am not so impacted. But some of our stores get the brunt of the vitriol and that is tough to...

Advice to Management

Check in with the part timers. Maybe have them contribute to the Key Holder's reviews.

8. Production

Former Employee - Boxing in Wauwatosa, WI

I worked at Penzeys Spices for more than 2 years

Pros

Decent pay, open hours, friendly people

Cons

Monotonous work, physically challenging at times, playing christmas music during the holidays

Advice to Management

It might be helpful to rotate people through different jobs on the hour when putting together gift sets and making boxes. It's difficult to do one task for 5-8 hours straight. Also provide stools for people to sit if that works better for them.

Retail Supervisor

I worked at Penzeys Spices full-time

Pros

Company sells high quality spices with a message of kindness

Cons

In reality, management is very subjective, with very vague communication... ultimately hard to do quality job when trying to figure out strange, undefined "quality" of company. Apparently kindness does not extend to paying salary you can live on (for professional/supervisory position)

Advice to Management

get over yourself. absolutely believe in kindness, but some of your mgmt are egomaniacs, others actually certifiable

10. Sales

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Overland Park, KS

I have been working at Penzeys Spices part-time for more than 4 years

Pros

Great place to work, love the product and my co-workers!

Cons

I can't think of a con.

Advice to Management

Limit the customer emails.

Found 67 reviews