Penzeys Spices Reviews

Updated Apr 11, 2021

3.5
Penzeys Spices CEO William Penzey Jr (no image)
William Penzey Jr
Pros
  • "Good pay for a part-time retail job, and manager was amazing at trying to help every employee get the days off they requested(in 9 reviews)

• "401k for part time employees, good living wage, great customers, laid back atmosphere(in 6 reviews)

• Cons
  • "If you're the kind of person who can't cope with frustration, Penzeys will bother you very quickly(in 17 reviews)

• "I'm fortunate to live in a town with more kindness than anger so I am not so impacted(in 14 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Genuinely great place to work

Apr 11, 2021 - Customer Service Associate
      Business Outlook

Pros

Caring company, arranged vaccinations for employees, generous and flexible employer. Great products.

Cons

Honestly, none. It's a great place to work.

2. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Amazing

Mar 22, 2021 - Retail Sales Associate in Albany, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Bonuses Time and a half pay on Sundays Short hours Flexibility Great Customer Service Job Friendly staff and customers Discounts

Cons

No complaints as for cons, sometimes the customers but that is retail for you.

3. 5.0

Favorite Part-Time Job

Mar 19, 2021 - Customer Service Associate in Tucson, AZ
      Business Outlook

Pros

Well run, people-first company. Working at Penzey's was a pleasure from start to finish.

Cons

Finished my degree and had to leave. I hated leaving!

4. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Even 'supervisors' don't know whats going on half the time!

Mar 22, 2021 - Call Center Representative in Milwaukee, WI
      Business Outlook

Pros

Free Spices is really all you get here...

Cons

Only get promoted if your related to the owner in some way, too much nepotism. Never get more then 2 weeks off even if you work there 5 years or more.

5. 4.0

Salary

Jan 21, 2021 - Penzeys Part-time in Saint Louis, MO
      Business Outlook

Pros

Fun, free spices, great co-workers, great part time job

Cons

All management is in Wisconsin, no full time opportunities locally

1 person found this review helpful
    6. 5.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

I loved working at Penzeys!

Jul 15, 2020 - Retail Sales Associate
      Business Outlook

Pros

Penzeys really focuses on kindness and on meeting each customer's individual needs. I felt a great deal of autonomy as a retail sales associate. We were given basic operations and customer service expectations, and then were allowed some freedom as to how we managed our time and learned about Penzeys products, so we could connect with customers in a very congenial and helpful way. I really loved working at Penzeys. The hours were fantastic, too. No early mornings or late evenings. Good pay for a part-time retail job, and manager was amazing at trying to help every employee get the days off they requested. I found Bill Penzey's corporate culture and advertising messages to be inspiring...that's a main reason why I went to work there.

Cons

Sometimes our manager wouldn't give us enough specific directives, so employees would sometimes interpret and execute guidelines from corporate differently, but that was not a very big deal. In general, I felt like we had a lot of support, both from our local manager and from the corporate staff.

1 person found this review helpful
    7. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Good company

Nov 8, 2020 - Production Associate in Wauwatosa, WI
      Business Outlook

Pros

Ability to move around departments. Friendly coworkers. Employee perks.

Cons

Employee relations can use better structure when comes to issues and promotions.

8. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Fun to work at, could be boring/repetitive

Aug 16, 2020 - Sales Associate in Saint Louis, MO
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great manager, depending on who you worked with the coworkers are generally laid back

Cons

Penzeys is based in Wisconsin and has to abide by some strange rules (ie-when you apply for a job have to interview over the phone with main office before an in person interview with local store you applied to) and a few other approaches from the head honchos in Wisconsin that made us feel like small cogs in a big machine

9. 1.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Please start leading by explain

Oct 18, 2019 -
      Business Outlook

Pros

Free food and a few free spices

Cons

This is to Mr Penzeys. Start looking from within if you want to make change! You recently lost a TON of Exceptional employees, due to the fact that you are unwilling to see what is happening internally. I was an employee for almost 7 years and walked off the job… Yes unprofessional… However due to your opinion… Which you do have a right to… You make the entire climate feel unsettling and unsafe. I was an employee for almost 7 years and walked off the job… Yes on professional… However due to your opinion… Which you deliver right to… You make the entire climate feel unsettling and on safe. There is no real structure and no real Consequences for the “rules” that are put in place. It’s a constant complaining to get an employee written up for being late… He was late 37 times before he was actually written up. Physical fights happened with in your picking in boxing department because there is no communication and your store employees let a violent employee back into the building after being let go. The pay is low and you are constantly working endless amounts of overtime due to the lack of planning of promotions. If you are truly a family company you will take this into consideration and really put what is happening under a microscope. Please do better I used to believe in your mission.

8 people found this review helpful
    10. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 8 years

Awful Human Resources

Oct 21, 2020 - Picker/Packer in Wauwatosa, WI
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good hours, friendly coworkers,overtime,free food

Cons

Employee relations, under qualified and unprofessional

Viewing 1 - 10 of 84 Reviews