People For the American Way Reviews | Glassdoor

1. "Intern"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at People For the American Way as an intern

Pros

The people are great and it's a place where people really care about the mission. Makes working there fun.

Cons

Sometimes not enough work

2. "Great experience"

Pros

Great place to work! Energetic, smart people, important mission, office does a lot to create fun events and traditions.

Cons

I honestly have nothing to say here.

3. "Great work, sometimes stifling management style"

Former Employee - Program Associate in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Program Associate in Washington, DC

I worked at People For the American Way full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The work that PFAW does is really important, and I got a great sense of pride and accomplishment from my work. A lot of the staff there are also fantastic, smart, and fun to work with.

Cons

The management style is very top-down, and the senior leadership do not appreciate staff that challenge them in any way. Pay is not terribly great, and raises and opportunities for advancement are few and far between. There's also a very arrogant attitude about employment here, like you're lucky to have a job at PFAW -- and you don't get the sense that they feel lucky to have you on the team. At times it can be really demoralizing!

Advice to Management

I think that senior leadership should take the time to better know the program staff and the actual work that people do that they're making decisions about. They seem very distanced from the rest of the staff, unfortunately.

5. "Great people to work with, no room to move up"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at People For the American Way full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It is a great work atmosphere. The people are smart, talented, and fun. Great office parties and a non-stuffy atmosphere. They also have a great benefits package. When I was there, the employee health care premiums were paid for by PFAW. That was unheard of for a while.

Cons

There was no such thing as middle management while I was there. They rarely ever promoted talent from within. It's a place where you go to get experience for a few years and then take your talents to other progressive organizations in and around Washington, DC. For a small organization, it was pretty bureaucratic.

Advice to Management

- Create positions for middle managers.
    - Embrace innovation/doing things different from what is customary.
    - Promote from within.