People's United Bank Reviews | Glassdoor

2.9
People's United Bank President & CEO John P. (Jack) Barnes
John P. (Jack) Barnes

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The bank has a solid work/life balance philosophy for all associates (in 14 reviews)

• Great people to work with everywhere you go (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management doesn't care about branch employee's hardship (in 25 reviews)

• Working with difficult customers and making individual sales goals (in 15 reviews)

"You let these people run the show?!"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Nashua, NH
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Nashua, NH

Pros

Great co-workers (non-management)
    Nice benefits package
    Health insurance is very good
    Paid time off right from start
    Transition from Ocean Bank to People's United created more positive responses

Cons

Competent management severely lacking
    Little to no room for advancement or growth
    Management clearly picks "favorites"
    No recognition on job well done
    Puts a lot of responsibility on the competent/hard workers while everyone else stands back and watches

Advice to Management

Don't promote your "buddies"
    Be competent
    Appreciate when someone is honest and upfront with you
    Replace current management

"Completely Disconnected Management and Insulting Pay."

Current Employee - Collector in Burlington, VT
    Current Employee - Collector in Burlington, VT

I have been working at People's United Bank full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits and comaraderie among fellow coworkers

Cons

Complete and utter disconnect between managers and employees/needs of their respective departments.
    Compensation does not align with job requirements.
    No set raise/review schedule.

Advice to Management

Corporate executives in CT offices need to clean house and terminate all managers that are completely incapable and unwilling to address the needs of their departments and the employees who work so hard to resolve departmental mistakes and inefficiencies. The Vice President of loan operations is incompetent and should be ashamed of the "compensation" his employees are receiving and the plethora of inefficiencies that exist in his department. Immediate replacement of management is needed to improve operations of loan services department. Employees are disgruntled, monetary compensation is pathetic and insulting, and management has no concern whatsoever about the welfare of employees or their burdensome workload.

"Very unethical Bank to work for"

Former Employee - Financial Service Associate in Fairfield, CT
    Former Employee - Financial Service Associate in Fairfield, CT

I worked at People's United Bank full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Co-workers (non-Exempts) & PTO

Cons

People's United Bank is probably one of the worst banks to work for. all they care about is revenue. we have to bring in business at all costs even if its not in the best interest for the customer. I mean c'mon in the mystery shop it says that you have to mention additional products to deepen the relationship. hmmmm More like deepen the banks pockets! The bank doesnt understand that customers are not stupid. They know that we are sales people and that we get paid to sell products. All the bank is getting out this is $25 accounts. why?? because customers dont trust the bank. The bank is also very very very far behind in technology. Online banking sucks. and supposedly Peoples has an app. nope, not quite. More like a mobile website that also sucks. Customers are constantly complaining about the website. and honestly customers are leaving to far more technologically advanced banks not because its cool. but because they offer more convenience. I honestly dont know who is hiring management. because these new managers that are coming in are just clueless about the banking industry. dont get me wrong there are some great managers in the company but most of them are just not qualified for the job. some of these managers couldnt manage a Burger King. I use to work for this bank recently and I was offered a better position at another bank. I did leave because they offered me better pay but the main reason i left was because I was tired of the sales pressure and the Unethical sales practices they teach. This company and its practices is one of the reasons why consumers do not trust the banking Industry.

Advice to Management

People's United needs to focus on their brand not the industry's. If they want to become a big successful bank they need to start rebuilding 'TRUST" one customer at a time. Do the right thing for the customer. don't do it just to benefit the bank. and by the way if you want to grow, its not about how many accounts you have. its all about deposit growth. 80% of your customers have money elsewhere (trust me those customers bank with me now, so I know) and if you want those customers to bring that money over to your institution. you need to start doing the right thing for them and show them that they can trust you. we are working in an industry where "TRUST" is the most important commodity.

4. "Financial Service Manager"

Former Employee - Financial Services Manager in Stamford, CT
    Former Employee - Financial Services Manager in Stamford, CT

I worked at People's United Bank full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

401k Match
    Employee Shared Ownership Plan. Company provides you with shares of the company based on your tenure

Cons

Low Paying.
    Unrealistic Goals.
    Incompetent Middle Management
    Lack of competitive products.
    Favoritism is huge factor for promotions

Advice to Management

Get your head out of the clouds and see what goes on in the branches.

"Awful"

Current Employee - Senior Customer Service Associate in Fairfield, CT
    Current Employee - Senior Customer Service Associate in Fairfield, CT

I have been working at People's United Bank full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You gain banking experience. For someone who comes from a banking background I would recommend going elsewhere for growth or opportunities.

Cons

Employees are clique, dramatic, and act like they are in highschool. Expectations are too high and employees are not given the tools to succeed.

Advice to Management

Take an organizational behavior class at a local community college to understand your increase in employee turnover.

6. "Horrible Bank... Just Horrible!"

Current Employee - Financial Service Associate in Fairfield, CT
    Current Employee - Financial Service Associate in Fairfield, CT

I have been working at People's United Bank full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

PTO, great coworkers excluding management

Cons

Poor Management, all they do is sit in the office and surf the web while the non-exempts sit at the teller line and do all the work. then they occasionally come out of their cave to tell us how many accounts we need for the week and to get them at all costs. they hardly work 40 hours and they are constantly doing things that are against policy. Most of them get hired because of someone they know within the company. Usually family members. favoritism definetely exists. so if you want to move up in this company then brown nosing is something you should take into consideration. The products are not competetive at all. It almost seems like a bank from a third world country. The pay is horrible. I think I could work at a Walmart store and make just about the same or maybe even more. Very high turnover Rate. I Think they lose a couple employees every day. Overall this is not the place to work. Unless you like working for incompetent Managers that dont know anything about banking.

Advice to Management

start looking for management within the company. Theres alot of great talent within the institution.
    Micro manage management. They are doing alot things against policy and they are getting away with it. Raise the pay! Pay is the reason for such a high turnover rate.

"Horrible Financial Insitution to Work for and Bank At"

Former Employee - Former Collections Representative in Burlington, VT
    Former Employee - Former Collections Representative in Burlington, VT

I worked at People's United Bank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The employees and 401K match. That is ALL.

Cons

Incompetent VP and management, horrible compensation (raised capped at 2.5% per year for EXCELLENT reviews), unqualified workforce

Advice to Management

The management at People's United Bank needs considerable improvement. The management team in the administrative services division (loan servicing/collections/fin control is under qualified. They lack the ability to connect with employees and do what is best for them. The Vice President should be ashamed. He is completely and utterly unaware of the needs of the department and the employees have a very poor quality of work life. Employees are very underpaid and the ONLY way to eventually earn a fair wage is through transferring to another department or better yet, leaving the bank. The technology is pathetic. Branches and loan operations use completely different systems. The customers suffer because of this because they cannot get accurate information regarding their loans. I would recommend that any "qualified" candidate look elsewhere for employment and the VP and senior management be reviewed for performance and employee satisfaction, and be ultimately replaced. If you spent money on a college education, you'll make the same, and many times less than someone who never earned a degree. Pay rates are determined by the need to fill the position rather than qualifications.

8. "Poor management"

Former Employee - CSA in Westport, CT
    Former Employee - CSA in Westport, CT

I worked at People's United Bank full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

some profit sharing quarterly, nice csas

Cons

strict management, low wage, high work load

Advice to Management

lighten up

People's United Bank Response

Feb 16, 2016 – Digital Marketing

We received your review. Please confirm - Was this review for PeoplesBank in Holyoke, Massachusetts?

"What A Joke"

Current Employee - Financial Service Associate in Wappingers Falls, NY
    Current Employee - Financial Service Associate in Wappingers Falls, NY

I have been working at People's United Bank full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's a job. It's a paycheck.

Cons

The monthly goals set by this company are ridiculous in the Hudson Valley region...1,000,000 in new revenue EVERY month...ha ha ha. That's nearly impossible in any situation. Maybe we can all try to ice-skate uphill as well. PUB doesn't even hold more than 5% of the market area where the branches are located. I'm shocked we've all haven't had panic attacks based on the stress this company puts on their own employees. Most of your peers cannot be trusted because they sell you out to get promotions...shameful because management encourages this behavior. There are much superior banks to work for. I'm heading to one in the next few weeks. Working here is like The X-Files, Trust No One. The customers and the employees aren't happy. Take a hint.

"HIGH turnover- just look at how often the same position is posted- tells you something..."

Pros

Training, benefits, great customers, good hours, opportunity to further your education ( tuition assistance)

Cons

High turnover, Headquarters in CT- so they don't truly understand each market area, low morale, incompetent regional manager(s) and lots of micro-managing!!!