PeopleMatter Reviews

Updated Nov 21, 2019

3.6
PeopleMatter President & CEO Nate DaPore (no image)
Nate DaPore
Pros
  • "Unlimited vacation - pro and con(in 11 reviews)

• "I can honestly say that at PeopleMatter I sincerely like more of my team members than at any company for which I've previously worked(in 10 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Always some growing pains within a start-up atmosphere, but the product is solid and the management listens to opportunities for improvement(in 5 reviews)

• "Your fellow salespeople are great, the senior management making the decisions are not(in 4 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

I love working here and so do my dogs!

Nov 10, 2014 - BDR in Charleston, SC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great environment- the benefits of having a fun and challenging environment make going to work pretty sweet. I love bringing in my dogs and everyone from the top down

Cons

If you don't want to work hard and be challenged that would be a con for someone.

2. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

They gone

Nov 21, 2019 - Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

Downtown location and free parking

Cons

Everything else. Like everything.

3. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Challenging work, exciting environment, and great people!

Jul 20, 2014 - Software Engineer in Charleston, SC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Management really cares about you. They want to help you do well in your career and in your personal life. They pay attention to your progress and want to make sure that you stay interested in your work and challenged. Unlimited vacation is a pretty awesome perk. It's great to be able to take time off whenever you feel you need it without the worry of using up your precious "2 weeks". Working hours are also extremely flexible if you ever have errands to run, need to take a kid to the doctor, etc. Mentoring is also a big deal here. They want to invest in their future leaders. I have never heard of a company where the "C"-level execs mingle with the team members. But that is a regular part of life at PeopleMatter. They all try really hard to stay personal with team members and their doors are always open to anyone who needs to talk. The engineering stack is good, and it's constantly improving. There's still room for new ideas - so you won't get bored, but it's also consistent enough that we have a strong set of patterns and a pretty clean codebase. There's also plenty of interesting problems to solve.

Cons

It doesn't seem to matter how awesome a situation can be, someone will always find something to complain about. There are some folks around that like to whine without offering any solutions for improvement - you'll have to learn to stay positive and discourage the naysaying. Housing is pretty expensive in Charleston, although not as bad as a lot of other major cities I suppose. There is also still a lot of silent racism here. Overall it's still a great city to live in though.

2 people found this review helpful
    4. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

You'll work hard, but it's all worth it!

Aug 26, 2014 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Let me start off by saying, you'll work harder than you ever have before in your life! If you want a 9-5 job, then go down to a bank because you'll crash and burn at PeopleMatter very quickly . . . however, the work is very rewarding. Our company mission, to change the way the employee and employer interact and make it better, is truly at the heart of all the decisions that are made as a company. We listen to our customers and respond appropriately with product and feature changes. I am confident that we are on the right path to continue to build a very large company that has and will continue to make a positively disruptive impact to the marketplace. Come join us! Just a few other perks . . . generally flexible work environment (just get your work done, no one is checking the clock on you), unlimited vacation (yes, you read that correctly!), exceptional health benefits for the employee (if you have a family, it is high to add them, but that's pretty standard these days), tuition reimbursement, 24/7 access to the Visitors' Center Parking Garage (even on the weekends, never have to worry about where to park downtown:), and you get to bring in your dog to the office with you!

Cons

There is a tad lack of transparency at times from upper managements on the true motives behind some company direction and resource changes; however, we are in a very competitive industry . . . they can't be expected to share everything with us.

5. 4.0

Must Earn It

Jan 18, 2016 - Business Development Representative in Charleston, SC
      Business Outlook

Pros

While the pom-pom waving culture at PeopleMatter is overblown - there is a great culture for those who know how to work in teams and can communicate effectively. As in any small company - change is constant and its harder on those who expect everything to be easy or handed to them the way they want it. There's a ton of opportunity to make variable comp money, have an impact and develop your skills, and work on a platform that delivers what its expected to. Most employees are great to work with and the location in Charleston is world-class.

Cons

Its not an easy sale - there are big obstacles to overcome, but it makes your really develop skills that will accelerate your career. Management is not very transparent - and at times was very bloated. Not in the trenches enough with their front-line. Starting pay is not aggressive for the industry - they rely on the depressed wages in the Charleston market since there is so much competition for these types of companies/jobs.

6. 5.0

Great People, Great Company

Mar 18, 2013 - Product Owner
      Business Outlook

Pros

I truly enjoyed working at PeopleMatter. Not for one day did I ever feel uncomfortable or out-of -place. During my tenure, I not only had the chance to take a deeper dive into the world of product management but I learned that I do have a voice in not only day-to-day tasks but also longterm planning and strategy. I can say that at PeopleMatter I probably experienced the most professional growth than at any other firm. Co-Team Members and Senior Management were always game for in-depth conversations about product enhancements and where the company was going. People and their diverse talent are definitely the Company's strength. Also, the work/life balance was one of the best I have experienced.

Cons

As in any start up, expanding the footprint and building out the product created some growing pains. Often, decisions about the roadmap had to be made quickly which resulted in some people being left out and feeling merely directed to execute the work.

7. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

PeopleMatter only as a means to make money

May 22, 2012 -  in North Charleston, SC
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Non-management is filled with awesome people - Opportunity to work with smart people - Challenging work - Should help most people advance their career - Able to work with modern tech

Cons

- Widely known they underpay until you threaten to quit with an offer from elsewhere - More outsourced teams from Argentina than internal - Outsourced teams will make your life miserable - Will and have promised the world to many people - You will not get much stock in the company, so you're working toward making others very rich - Takes 5 years to get all of your rather small stake in the company - Controlled by VCs and a large client - Try to act like a startup when convenient - Tons of management & senior executives that aren't needed - Sold themselves down the river to their largest client - Management who really do not care about the people - Management who openly has favorites, while having disdain for others - Management doesn't listen to those they rely upon to become successful - Extremely high turnover that they refuse to address - Waste money on worthless marketing stunts - A CEO no one working on the product likes - Wasteful company meeting every week - Yearly reviews that are throwaway and amount to a standard raise - No real company culture, since they push the one they want rather than letting it be organic - Management who don't understand your work, so don't hold much value in it - Care more about the process than the people and the quality of their work

4 people found this review helpful
    8. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great potential that doesn't live up to the hype

Aug 5, 2014 - Software Engineer in Charleston, SC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Generally a fun atmosphere. Benefits are pretty epic across the board. Charleston engineering is a tight crew that works well together and gets stuff done. And you cannot beat the location of the main office.

Cons

Features are decided based on customer pressure, and hard deadlines set based off of engineering best guesses. Company has taken in so much venture funding that management seems to spend more time placating the board than thinking about the future.

6 people found this review helpful
    9. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

I have learned and have had the autonomy to achieve more than I could have ever imagined at this stage in my career.

Oct 6, 2014 - Anonymous Employee in Charleston, SC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Very fast-moving company that allows you to quickly grow as they do. I've worked here over a year but have felt like I have been here for 5 because of all of the milestones we have achieved in that short time. My colleagues are awesome and it is truly a great place to work. Location isn't too bad either.

Cons

I sometimes feel like some of the work i'm doing is all for not because Senior Management will come down and make processes mandatory that should have been thought through more. As we grow, we are becoming more rigid and it is limiting some of our creativity in a time when it could be one of our biggest assets to differentiate.

10. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Self, Family, PeopleMatter

Aug 25, 2014 - Anonymous Employee in Charleston, SC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Benefits are outstanding for a company this size. Unlimited time off Medical/dental/401k are amazing 1 month off paternity leave (yes that means guys get a month off) 1 month paid sabbatical every 3 years Very fast paced environment where Sr. Mgmt. wants you to succeed. You are given plenty of opportunities and management is hands off in most aspects. Everyone is goal/results driven, you need to be able to think quickly and keep moving forward. We fail fast and learn from our mistakes and keep moving forward.

Cons

Open air office environment. It would be nice to be able to have a private conversation on the phone without having to walk outside or try to find a conference room that is not in use. Only a rare few have stand up desks and working at a keyboard all day sitting down can get uncomfortable. So you will need to get up and move around often even though the chairs provided are ok, it would be nice to have a stand up desk.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 50 Reviews