PeopleNet Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.0
Brian McLaughlin

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Very supportive of work life balance (in 9 reviews)

• Growing company; a huge increase in hiring over the past 12 months alone (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Third, the work-life balance is pretty terrible (in 4 reviews)

• Very fast paced and a fair amount of politics (in 3 reviews)

1. "The best job I've ever had; period."

Current Employee - Tech Support in Minnetonka, MN
    Current Employee - Tech Support in Minnetonka, MN

I have been working at PeopleNet full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The list of pros is so long, that I could type for hours, and what's even more weird, is that I've only been here for 6 weeks. I've never worked with or for a company with such a diverse culture, or at a place where all of your peers have the same common goal: to take care of the customers we have to the absolute best of our ability, regardless of how long you may be on the phone. The training program was awesome, and there are more than enough resources that if you fall behind, they will get you extra help, and if you are ahead of the curve, you will get challenged sooner than later. I've never seen managers/leads/peers take so much pride in what they do, and you can "feel" they are real when they speak about it, and it's not just a facade. I've been in the customer service/operations support field for over 20 years, and have never experienced a collaborative environment like this, where your ambition and your drive are rewarded, and micro-managing is almost non-exisistent.
    And again....I've only been here 6 weeks, and I have yet to find an unfriendly person in the building, or find someone who is not willing to help you succeed. I ran into some car issues when I started, and asked if I could start 2 hours earlier and get off a bit earlier to be able to be able to catch rides, and when I asked if this could happen, they were so thankful that I was willing to move MY schedule around, and they thanked ME! I was at a total loss for words.

Cons

Because this is a 20 word minimum field, I have to type something.....So IF there was one thing, I'd say that it's really warm in the building. And if that's the biggest complaint, I'd say I'm doing very well.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. Keep promoting from within. Keep up the "atta boys". Keep the personal touch your floor supervisors have with their teams. I'd maybe like to see a top 3 "Team members of the Month" in a gold, silver and bronze format that peers can vote on to get those that do a lot of work that may normally go unnoticed, get the "atta boys" they deserve. And with the explosion of growth Peoplenet has seen in the last couple months, there is a large number of people that have stepped to the plate without ever being asked to do so.....and that action in itself doesn't happen very often anymore.

2. "Sales Manager"

Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Minnetonka, MN
    Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Minnetonka, MN

I have been working at PeopleNet full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great pay, awesome management team

Cons

Lots of travel at times

Advice to Management

Great place to work! Couldn't have dreamed of a better job

3. "Product Management"

Current Employee - Product Management in Minnetonka, MN
    Current Employee - Product Management in Minnetonka, MN

I have been working at PeopleNet full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Amazing working environment and great technology

Cons

A little chaotic at times!

Advice to Management

Stay on the path that is the vision for the company and do not deviate.

"Good Environment. Have some internal chores to do."

I have been working at PeopleNet full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Passionate coworkers
    - Lots of opportunity for growth (note: your career is influenced by YOU. Don't expect handholding)
    - Management hires have largely been great, lately. Struggled in the past with the "Old Guard" that was resistant to change, but the replacements have been very good and well vetted.
    - Very accepting environment.
    - Signs of improvement for what I have listed in cons.
    - Fairly competitive pay (NOTE: Only if you're coming in. see cons for more details)

Cons

Let me just preface by saying some of these things are heavy on my heart. For a company I enjoy working at so much, there are still some glaring vices. Unfortunately one of them is that I feel the need to write them here in order to be heard. Also, I don't yet trust that they will be acted upon.

- I will list my number 1 frustration right here. The compensation structure is an absolute mess and I don't know that anything is being done about it. New hires in their respective roles are being paid competitively but very little is being done to retain experienced, tenured, high functioning employees. It has hit critical mass in some areas where there are systems that cannot be repaired because nobody is here anymore that had the knowledge to do anything about it.

I've been promoted internally a number of times through my tenure (a good number of years), but there used to be an "unspoken" 9-12% increase in pay regardless of your job. I believe the new VP of HR is killing it and making progressive changes, but i'm living proof that there's still a huge problem. I now make ~$30k less than my peers that have less tenure and less industry experience. I am backfilling roles of people that have left while maintaining my current responsibilities and am making less than they did and will continue to make less than their replacements.

PeopleNet discourages any discourse among peers regarding salary. Guys - this is toxic. You might think it is to protect morale but it is KILLING it. I'm not alone in this. This needs to be addressed or you will lose (and have already lost) valuable talent. I shouldn't have to threaten to leave to be paid fairly. Understand that this is a very dangerous behavior. GOOD people are ready to walk. Many have. The term "flight risk" is something I hear on a daily basis.

There are departments where supervisors are getting paid less than the people they supervise due to this bubble effect we've created for ourselves.

I was sick to my stomach when I found how much more my new-hire peers made than me. I was appalled when I was asked to stay hush-hush about it. I was devestated when I realized that nothing is being done and learned that there is a sub-culture forming of hard-working, back-bone-of-the-company employees that feel dejected by this company for the lack of compensation for their hard work.

Advice to Management

I understand that you have to answer to Trimble and that you have a business to run, but I think the following changes will help:

1) Create and publish a pay bracket system. Many large companies assign values to pay brackets (Exempt 1-10 or Non-Exempt 1-10) Exempt 1 might start at 50,000 and exempt 10 would be...say 250,000. Now assign these values to titles and your job postings. Customer Manager: Exempt 1-3. Developer I: Exempt 3-5. Support: Non Exempt 2-6.

This will allow transparency while maintaining anonymity. It also keeps you accountable. Sure. It takes your bargaining chip away, but that will earn you trust points from the employees.

2) This is VITAL. Apply these brackets to existing positions and comp people appropriately. If this means some people get 10k bumps in pay it means 2 things. 1: You've been treating your employees poorly and this just highlights it and 2: You've gone a long way in fixing a major staffing problem.

I will sign off with this: This company is a 4/5 star company. But it's a 4/5 star company that seems to have forgotten about it's tenured employees or has no interest in keeping them. I'm sorry to sound like a stick in the mud, but someone had to share this with you. I'm sorry that meant informing you on Glassdoor, but I don't feel safe talking about this internally without repercussions.

Sep 15, 2017 – DVP, Human Resources

Thank you for your thoughtful post and your kind words about me, I’ve been here for a year now and I love seeing all of the progress we’ve made together! I agree we have some of the best, and most... More

"Workload is completely unmanageable"

I have been working at PeopleNet full-time

Pros

Really great coworkers and dedicated employees.

Cons

Severe growing pains. Far too many accounts for each customer manager to do effective work

Oct 2, 2017 – Director, Customer Experience

Thank you for the feedback. I appreciate it and it's a good opportunity for reflection and improvement.

The Customer Manager role at PeopleNet is a challenging one as you navigate relationships... More

6. "Great Place to Learn and Grow Professionally"

I worked at PeopleNet full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Opportunities to learn and develop professional interests
    Casual, relaxed culture
    Great management team
    Dedicated to their customers' success

Cons

At times it was a struggle to convince leadership to spend money on anything other than product development.

7. "Work in Progress"

I have been working at PeopleNet full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Great co-workers: the teams love to collaborate and learn new technology, it's fairly easy to find a group of people to be friendly with
    - Flexible work environment: WFH, flexible hours, etc
    - Easy to access leadership: easy to find them and talk to them to give feedback (but don't expect to necessarily see action based on this.
    - They have been working to fix some of the problems identified in the engagement survey (lack of trust and accountability)
    - They are taking steps to make sure employees know they are appreciated, but need to make sure it's not a one-time thing, and continue to be consistent and transparent in plans and progress on their improvement plans. Lack of consistency causes a lack of trust.

Cons

- The disconnect between what senior leadership says and what the teams do is pretty big.
    - At one point they tried to tell us that 'there are no politics in our office' when in reality most of senior leadership are (white, male) friends from the transportation industry, so breaking through that glass ceiling is nearly impossible for people outside that social circle, and creating good change is difficult. There are politics in every office that impact people differently; blatantly ignoring that fact shows a lack of self-awareness that is concerning.
    - other reviews have said this, but it feels like a fraternity, rather than a family. There's a distinction that I'm not sure senior leadership is getting.
    - This is a white, male dominated business & industry which makes it hard for women or people of color to move up in management or leadership. Diversity & equality is something that needs to be prioritized deliberately in everything from hiring, pay, raises, promotions, team leadership, SME, and management, there's a lot of room for improvement.
    - With the engagement survey, there is a lack of trust in leadership... Every team did an exercise where we were asked how WE could fix that. Unfortunately, individual teams cannot create trust in leadership. Leadership needs to prove over and over that they can be trusted and show respect for the employees in order to build that trust.

Advice to Management

Consistently show your employees that they are valued and respected, in the way that motivates them because it's different for everyone. Have ONE #1 priority project, and make sure that it gets the resources needed. Everything can't be #1, so you have to decide what resources to put on which projects so that we meet our goals. We are spread too thin right now, and projects are suffering because of it.

Aug 2, 2017 – President

Thank you for the candid feedback. I wanted to personally address a few of the topics mentioned. First and foremost, our employees are our most valuable asset. We try to show this through... More

"Agressive, Rude, Disrespectful clients + dishonest Supervisors"

Former Employee - Tech Support Representative in Minnetonka, MN
    Former Employee - Tech Support Representative in Minnetonka, MN

I worked at PeopleNet (Less than a year)

Pros

Tech Support team are great (most of them)

Cons

You will deal with aggressive drivers, disrespectful management(clients), rude techs every single day. 100% Stress every single day. Management - One of the awful management I`v ever seen. I`v seen supervisors chilling, surfing online while reps accepting the calls without stop for 4-5 hours. You`ll deal with the supervisors that will be late to training, because she is so boreeeeed to work and will explain whole Right Now(Main System) system within 10 minutes instead of 45 min. Most important, if you looking for career, be sure you know someone from the management or different department, else you`ll stuck at the same position. This is 100% true. WORTH EXPERIENCE.

Advice to Management

You need to talk to your supervisors, maybe they want to quit. Just let you know, most of the supervisors are USELESS.

Aug 28, 2017 – Director of Customer Support

We have a lot of respect for our customers and the challenging work that they do every day. We pride... More

"Chaos"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eden Prairie, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eden Prairie, MN

I worked at PeopleNet full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Five word minimum. None. Sorry.

Cons

Lots of finger pointing

Hardware development management was non existent. Virtually all development was outsourced and poorly monitored by senior management. Line staff was left to clean up large volumes of returns.

Immature managers who had no business in leadership roles

Frat boy senior management

Ineffective HR

Jun 26, 2017 – President

I am sorry to hear that you didn’t have a better experience while you were with PeopleNet. Growing at the pace in which we are, it isn’t surprising that we have some work to do and some areas to... More

10. "Great Company with Positive Future Path"

Current Employee - Technical Support Representative in Minnetonka, MN
    Current Employee - Technical Support Representative in Minnetonka, MN

I have been working at PeopleNet full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Great company culture
    - Very supportive of work life balance
    - Benefits are on point

Cons

- Nothing bad to say

Advice to Management

Keep it up!