Peoplefirst Rehab Reviews | Glassdoor

Peoplefirst Rehab Reviews

2.0
Patricia Henry

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Watch your back. You can always get another job, but not another license."

Former Employee - Occupational Therapist in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Occupational Therapist in Louisville, KY

Pros

Decent pay if you advocate for it. Great flexibility for your schedule. Open door policy to call corporate for any problems, but don't expect much will occur as a result of calling.

Cons

Money is the mission. This company is part of Kindred. Which seeks singularly to increase shareholder value, i.e., profit. New grads will be asked to screen or eval patients that may not be appropriate for therapy services, and ENCOURAGED to pick up the patient if they are doubtful. Seasoned therapists have horrible job security if they are making anything above the local average hourly rate. This company will happily lose great therapists, replace with no-experience, new grads to keep budgets down. So what then happens to patient care and qaulity functional outcomes with no team experience? If you work for this company, protect your license (it's yours not theirs), enjoy excellent flexibility for time off requests, and know that no matter how well you do here with your patients, you kinda feel used for your license in exchange for pay. Working for this company was unfortunately nothing more for them than a financial transaction. "We pay you (well), you do what we say". That's fine, but once your license feels compromised, QUIT!

Advice to Management

After three years you gave me a plastic key chain. One year, a pen. Once I got a small stuffed animal (seriously). After 4 or 5 years a pin for my ID tag. And a photocopy of a certificate of "excellence". Please note your therapists are professionals with advance degrees. If you value your therapists, consider getting back to matching the 401(k)? Therapists are aware the services they give translate into deep profits for your company. The method for recognition with gifts seems insincere.

"Burning Out"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

Pros

Above average salary.
    Good continuing education opportunities.
    Good opportunities for working LOTS of overtime.

Cons

I'm seeing an unfortunate pattern of Peoplefirst burning out their employees by overworking them. The program managers in this town work really long hours and expect their employees to do the same. The company is very reluctant to use contract staff to fill open positions, choosing instead to burn out their skeleton crew of employees. They micromanage the caseload and try to dictate who a therapist will see for therapy and when you may or may not discharge them. Their overall approach with staff is impersonal and cold. I'm a new employee with the company and I'm trying to give them a chance but it's not looking favorable at this point. As with many rehab companies, the productivity expectation is 90% which is always an indicator that money is more important than the quality of services provided. Let's just say the the rehab dept isn't much of a true "team" because they don't value our input or really even truly listen when we try to communicate.

Advice to Management

Your cold approach to staffing a building won't inspire loyalty. With the plethora of jobs available, we have little motivation to remain in your employment.

"All about numbers, no positive feedback."

Former Employee - Rehab Manager
    Former Employee - Rehab Manager

Pros

Good clinical education. Resources are always available. Open door policy is actually open.

Cons

All about numbers, and definitely not about putting people first. Staffing is terrible and nothing was done about it for months and months. Burnout happens quickly. Rehab managers are forced to treat patients when it is practically impossible while managing a busy building. Almost no positive feedback from upper management when a job is well done. Good is never good enough when it comes to anything. Upper management needs to empower rehab directors instead of just being negative & pushing more numbers. They need to be more visible and have a realistic view of what is going on on the floor.

Advice to Management

Get travelers if open positions are not being filled. Be realistic about what is going on in the buildings. Give positive feedback when things are going well. Stop pushing managers to treat patients 50% of the time, or at least give them an assistant manager if this needs to be the case.