Pep Boys Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Brent Windom

Pros
Cons
  • Need better communication between employees and upper management (in 29 reviews)

• even worse for regular techs, they get paid 17 an hour flat rate (in 16 reviews)

1. "Stores needs improvements and better abilities to perform evaluations for all employees."

Former Freelancer - Commercial/Retail Sales in West Warwick, RI
    Former Freelancer - Commercial/Retail Sales in West Warwick, RI

I worked at Pep Boys (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good customers, some good co-workers, and job functions needing to get done on a daily bases.

Cons

bad management, rude employees. no room for growth.

Advice to Management

Find better qualified management, Treat customers better, get more responsable employees.

2. "Mechanic"

Current Employee - Maintenance Technician in Palmdale, CA
    Current Employee - Maintenance Technician in Palmdale, CA

I have been working at Pep Boys full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun environmental easy hrs great manager

Cons

Not enough money bad shifts

Advice to Management

Unfair treatment, rebut mechanics dont get descent tickets to earn a descent paycheck. These mechanis have bills and family's to support and these tiny checks they earn barely cover has money and lunch just to get there and work not to mention buy expensive tools from took trucks.

3. "Under staffed per business model."

Former Employee - Service Writer in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Service Writer in Houston, TX

I worked at Pep Boys full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get to meet new people daily and when the repair is done right you are a hero to them.

Cons

Under staffed and 12-13 hr days with an occasional lunch break if your lucky and you are constantly drilled about up selling services which upsets them more since they are already facing an expense they were not ready for.

Advice to Management

Staff stores and STC's so the customer's can be taken care off properly and employees can be more productive.

5. "Inappropriate pay structure"

Former Employee - SERVICE ADVISOR in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - SERVICE ADVISOR in San Diego, CA

I worked at Pep Boys full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They provide uniforms.... usually...that's about it. You can get good training, if they bother to train.

Cons

Pay is already low and you have to qualify for flag hours. Pay is dependent on what they can get coming through the door. Management gets little to no support from corporate on hiring.

Advice to Management

Speak up. Tell DM's and RVPs to give you the support you need or stop complaining. If they can't take the criticism then they don't deserve your services. Stop making PBY a place to train techs to go to other places that pay better.

"Store Manager"

Current Employee - Store Manager STC in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Store Manager STC in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

I loved my co workers

Cons

Horrible pay, 24/7 job, no work life balance.

Advice to Management

To many chiefs, not enough indians... you make decisions based on profit....not people.

"Work More, Paid Less"

Former Employee - Master Technician in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Master Technician in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Pep Boys full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They will keep you working... at half the pay or less you should make for the through-put you do. Video training is cool.

Cons

Pay rate went down continually, non-union shop, Continual beratement for more output across the board... all employees. High pressure, crap pay.

Advice to Management

Up the dollars to the workers, pay more of the health benefits, better training to managers, Unionize shops.

"Retail sales associate"

Current Employee - Floor Staff in Aurora, CO
    Current Employee - Floor Staff in Aurora, CO

Pros

Current manager (late 2016) easy to talk to, sensible about store's short comings, cooperative in work scheduling, clear about expectations, does not task an employee beyond what is sensible for the pittance they are paying. If this store can be revived, he has the capability to do it. Have been conscientious about dealing with employees injured on the job.

Cons

Start is below $9/hr, no raise after 1 1/2 years, cannot grieve a bad job review and store manager at that time would not defend the employee to change it. Turnover is over 100% and there is generally no effort to retain even outstanding employees. Some great seniors and hot-off-the-mark youngsters have hired on here. But this is generally a bottom feeder employer for seniors and last gaspers. Underheated in winter, largely uncooled in summer. Some of the corporate level who come through seem fair-minded men. Recently bought out by Canadian investor who is making marginal changes. Paid significantly above market for shares, may have been parachutes for previous management. Provides no initiatives for floor staff. Certainly does not pay them in keeping with long list of expectations. Maybe this location, as with many buy outs, is among the bottom 20% that will be routinely closed in a year or so to recover profit margins. Possible that the managers assigned here realized that they have been dead-ended.

Advice to Management

You cannot in good conscience feel that employees of merit look back and think that hiring on with you was anything more than a waste of themselves.

"Very good entry level (EDITED)"

Current Employee - General Service Technician in Montgomery, AL
    Current Employee - General Service Technician in Montgomery, AL

I have been working at Pep Boys part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Commissions, room for advancement. You have a base rate plus labor bonuses for virtually everything you do in the shop.
    EDIT: they lied about my pay, and they lied about my hours. I don't earn a book rate OR commission, because I just got paid today and all my work is suspiciously absent. I'm also being made to work 32 instead of 27 hours. We recently got a new manager who refuses to let me rest, despite that I had agreed with the previous manager, the one who had hired me, that I needed to sit and rest on occasion due to my weight. He has also been rather cruel to me, telling me to find something to do when not working on a car, only to turn around and berate me for my choice of activity. Another coworker regularly harasses and humiliates me, while the managers do nothing. As a fresh hire, it is doubtful any complaints I register with HR will be taken seriously, and will probably just get me fired. I'd like to kill my self at this point but it will probably just give my manager something to laugh about.

Cons

Corporate policy can be overly stifling at times. Most of their "benefits" often don't work at all or may even cost you more money.

Everything is decidedly poor. It is now hard to find any joy in my work. I used to really like it, I truly did.

Advice to Management

Your enployees have emotions too, you know. Consider not being openly hostile.

10. "Going down hill as company got sold"

Current Employee - Accounting Supervisor in Telford, PA
    Current Employee - Accounting Supervisor in Telford, PA

I have been working at Pep Boys full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Old employees who have worked here more than 30 years

Cons

After acquisition, everything is down hill. Smaller company is trying to operate like corner store without understanding the complexity of the business. PA SSC office will not survive and probably close down.

Advice to Management

Please hire executive managers with broad business knowledge. Don't trying to fit wale in the small bottle if you want to grow.

"Horrible place to work"

Current Employee - General Service Technician in Mobile, AL
    Current Employee - General Service Technician in Mobile, AL

I have been working at Pep Boys full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Plenty of hours
    Plenty of work
    And there is really nothing else good i can say about these horrible people

Cons

They refuse to pay you accordingly
    Upper management cares nothing about employees
    Checks always wrong
    They lie CONSTANTLY
    Worst place i have ever worked

Advice to Management

You people have no idea how to run a company
    Upper management needs to be totally overhauled
    Learn to count