Pep Boys Reviews | Glassdoor

Pep Boys Reviews

Updated June 24, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • You can learn a lot about cars parts and much more (in 18 reviews)

• Good sales opportunity and good work/life balance (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Need better communication between employees and upper management (in 29 reviews)

• even worse for regular techs, they get paid 17 an hour flat rate (in 16 reviews)

1. "Service manager"

Former Employee - Service Manager in Fishers, IN
    Former Employee - Service Manager in Fishers, IN

I worked at Pep Boys full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pays well they seem to want to pay people as long as you a good employee. I ever really had a salary issue

Cons

Corporate way does not always work, and to slow to notice it. To much little things to do that mean nothing at the end of the day. Take care of customers is priority they preach, but don't apply

Advice to Management

Run the store from the store not in the office

"Mechanic"

Current Employee - Mechanic in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Mechanic in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Pep Boys full-time

Pros

Good learning environment
    Great trainging program
    Pays you to take ASE test

Cons

Minnimum wage
    Unrealistic incentive pay
    Equipment doesn't work and is impossible for store management to request repair.

Advice to Management

Maintain shop equipment better and make repairs as need not when you feel like.
    Pay the techs a fair wage, doesn't seem fair techs are working hard for the same amount as the guy at McDonald's making their lunch.

"Asst Service Manager"

Current Employee - Assistant Service Manager in Parsippany, NJ
    Current Employee - Assistant Service Manager in Parsippany, NJ

I have been working at Pep Boys full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If with Great Managers will go far and grow fast

Cons

Its real easy for you to get Over looked and Over worked

"Work More, Paid Less"

Former Employee - Master Technician in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Master Technician in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Pep Boys full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They will keep you working... at half the pay or less you should make for the through-put you do. Video training is cool.

Cons

Pay rate went down continually, non-union shop, Continual beratement for more output across the board... all employees. High pressure, crap pay.

Advice to Management

Up the dollars to the workers, pay more of the health benefits, better training to managers, Unionize shops.

"Not great for career"

Former Employee - Service Writer, Mechanic in Fayetteville, NC
    Former Employee - Service Writer, Mechanic in Fayetteville, NC

I worked at Pep Boys full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I started as a tire and oil tech. Through watching and working with the other mechanics, I became a service writer, and then a mechanic. I learned a great deal about auto mechanics while there, but I wouldnt want to make a career of it. However, when mistakes were made the shop always had your back.

Cons

Upper level management cares little for the everyday workers. Pay was not the greatest. Management turned a blind eye to shady mechanic work

Advice to Management

Try to understand what your mechanics are going through and dont assume that they can pull off an automotive miracle every time you need something done "right away".

"Too much Micro Managing"

Former Employee - Assistant Service Manager in Arlington Heights, IL
    Former Employee - Assistant Service Manager in Arlington Heights, IL

I worked at Pep Boys full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

* Decent Pay, Hourly Plus Bonus for ASM. *
    * Got along with most employees & customers *
    * Good place to learn Hands on Experience *
    * 20% Discount *

Cons

* Micro Managing by Corp *
    * No more commission for ASM *
    * Long Hours/Most Weekends *
    * Management doesn't value Employees & your just a # *
    * Not too much room for advancement *

Advice to Management

Stop the Dam Micro Managing & Let us do our Jobs. Show more kindness towards employees.

"Retail sales associate"

Current Employee - Floor Staff in Aurora, CO
    Current Employee - Floor Staff in Aurora, CO

Pros

Current manager (late 2016) easy to talk to, sensible about store's short comings, cooperative in work scheduling, clear about expectations, does not task an employee beyond what is sensible for the pittance they are paying. If this store can be revived, he has the capability to do it. Have been conscientious about dealing with employees injured on the job.

Cons

Start is below $9/hr, no raise after 1 1/2 years, cannot grieve a bad job review and store manager at that time would not defend the employee to change it. Turnover is over 100% and there is generally no effort to retain even outstanding employees. Some great seniors and hot-off-the-mark youngsters have hired on here. But this is generally a bottom feeder employer for seniors and last gaspers. Underheated in winter, largely uncooled in summer. Some of the corporate level who come through seem fair-minded men. Recently bought out by Canadian investor who is making marginal changes. Paid significantly above market for shares, may have been parachutes for previous management. Provides no initiatives for floor staff. Certainly does not pay them in keeping with long list of expectations. Maybe this location, as with many buy outs, is among the bottom 20% that will be routinely closed in a year or so to recover profit margins. Possible that the managers assigned here realized that they have been dead-ended.

Advice to Management

You cannot in good conscience feel that employees of merit look back and think that hiring on with you was anything more than a waste of themselves.

"District Manager"

Former Employee - Area Director in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Area Director in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Very competitor , Good employee

Cons

Micro manage, No direction, New hire management not experience .

Advice to Management

Long days, be prepare to get your hand dirty . No staff to work with.

9. "Decent place to work, only pays decent if your in uppet management otherwise not worth the time."

Former Employee - Retail Sales Manager in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Manager in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Pep Boys full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay and not so much pressure to meet certain sales goals

Cons

Hireing process, lousy set up for customers, need to pay advisors better to get better qualified people to work.

"Very good entry level (EDITED)"

Current Employee - General Service Technician in Montgomery, AL
    Current Employee - General Service Technician in Montgomery, AL

I have been working at Pep Boys part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Commissions, room for advancement. You have a base rate plus labor bonuses for virtually everything you do in the shop.
    EDIT: they lied about my pay, and they lied about my hours. I don't earn a book rate OR commission, because I just got paid today and all my work is suspiciously absent. I'm also being made to work 32 instead of 27 hours. We recently got a new manager who refuses to let me rest, despite that I had agreed with the previous manager, the one who had hired me, that I needed to sit and rest on occasion due to my weight. He has also been rather cruel to me, telling me to find something to do when not working on a car, only to turn around and berate me for my choice of activity. Another coworker regularly harasses and humiliates me, while the managers do nothing. As a fresh hire, it is doubtful any complaints I register with HR will be taken seriously, and will probably just get me fired. I'd like to kill my self at this point but it will probably just give my manager something to laugh about.

Cons

Corporate policy can be overly stifling at times. Most of their "benefits" often don't work at all or may even cost you more money.

Everything is decidedly poor. It is now hard to find any joy in my work. I used to really like it, I truly did.

Advice to Management

Your enployees have emotions too, you know. Consider not being openly hostile.