Pepco Holdings Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Pepco Holdings President and CEO Joe Rigby
Joe Rigby

Pros
  • Great for work life balance, in most groups (in 10 reviews)

• Good benefits and tuition aid program even though that is going away now that it is an exelon company (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Management doesn't listen to lower level employees, too many hours are required to be worked, bad work life balance (in 4 reviews)

1. "Engineer II NERC"

Former Employee - Electrical Engineer in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Electrical Engineer in Washington, DC

I worked at Pepco Holdings full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great working atmosphere and good people.

Cons

Impossible to get outages for project installation.

Advice to Management

To provide more hands-on training for professional growth.

2. "Shop mechanic"

Current Employee - Shop Mechanic in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Shop Mechanic in Washington, DC

Pros

Great pay benefits and most of all guaranteed forty hours a week with pto and overtime holidays and the hours are convenient as well

Cons

None the best thing ever you could have a good day if your a guy would be a nice man and he will make your own a good luck and be your a man you will make your day

3. "Senior Organizational Effectiveness Consultant"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at Pepco Holdings full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Strong sense of mission throughout the organization.

Cons

Challenging environment in Washington, DC.

Advice to Management

Continue to support front line employees.

5. "Excellent"

Current Employee - Oracle Database Administrator in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Oracle Database Administrator in Washington, DC

I have been working at Pepco Holdings (More than 3 years)

Pros

Acquired tremendous skills working at PEPCO holdings

Cons

It is a company that i will recommend to anyone

"Engineer"

Former Employee - Engineer III in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Engineer III in Washington, DC

I worked at Pepco Holdings full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay, easy workload, headquarters in a good location and metro accessible. I learned a lot in the first few years.

Rotation program for young engineers helped people get a broader view of the company.

Some individuals (especially those in more senior positions) are incredibly hard workers and very smart people. My managers always tried to improve the office culture and reward their high achieving employees as best they could to attract and retain the best workers and avoid the cons listed in this review.

I had great supervisors and managers who genuinely cared about me and my career whether that was at Pepco or somewhere else. I am very grateful to have started my career with those people.

This Pro is a huge one but also comes with a huge caveat:
    If you want to work hard and can put up with other people getting by without doing work, then Pepco can be a great place to get ahead. Even a little bit of initiative gets recognized because there is so little of it. Definitely a place where working hard and having initiative is a great blue ocean strategy and will quickly have your name known to upper management across the company. Upper management wants to see more of these people. Just be sure you can take the crushing weight of that apathetically lazy blue ocean while you're at it and you'll rise through the ranks in no time.

(This is a pre-Exelon merger review)

Cons

Boring at times, projects move slowly, learning curve flattens out after a few years.

Many people do next to no work but there are no repercussions so therefore no incentive for them to try at all. General air of complacency from a lot of people.

Company doesn't actively hire from top schools.

For lower level positions you get promoted regardless of whether you do a good job or not which is demoralizing for those trying to work hard and differentiate themselves.

It's hard to stay "above the line" at times and this slacking off from people is talked about a lot behind the scenes between harder workers - many hard working people can't deal with it after a few years and look for opportunities elsewhere at consulting firms, renewable energy companies, or other faster-paced areas of employment.

If you're not at the main headquarters then you're in one of the handful of other offices in the DC area - these offices are pretty old and all of them require you to drive in DC traffic.

(This is a pre-Exelon merger review)

Advice to Management

The #1 way to solve almost every problem at this company is: Get rid of the people who don't do any work.

If you don't know who they are just ask because everyone else does. Some of them are playing games on their phones all day and never even log into the computer so it shouldn't be hard to identify them. These aren't people who are trying hard and still not doing well, these are people who do the absolute minimum amount of work needed to collect a paycheck (which is a really small amount of work) and have no incentive to do better, no guilt that they're getting paid to just sit around, and no fear that they will ever be asked to leave because no one ever is.

These people who don't pull their own weight make it harder to do projects and put a bad taste in the mouth of your high performing employees.

I am absolutely positive that if you root these few individuals in every department out, it will be transformative for your business and will make your high achieving and hard working employees happier and better at their jobs.

7. "A good company with good pay."

Current Employee - Manager in Falls Church, VA
    Current Employee - Manager in Falls Church, VA

Pros

Want to learn? Good training ground for professionals and craft workers. Good experience and income growth in first 8 to 10 years.

Cons

Many roles to fill in one position since Exelon merger. While beneficial to re-forming best practices, one can easier become burned out.

Advice to Management

See cons.

8. "Management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Pros

Location, benefits, culture, stable industry

Cons

Historically had traditional organizational structured, however has changed to contemporary structure, but some departments culture may be more traditional.

9. "Project manager"

Former Employee - District of Columbia in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - District of Columbia in Washington, DC

Pros

It is a very safe Company to work for. You will have a very stable career. It's a really good company there

Cons

Some of the beer out of politics tend to get in the way getting things done. You sometimes have to depend on who you know to get ahead in the company

10. "Good company"

Former Employee - Engineer I in Newark, DE
    Former Employee - Engineer I in Newark, DE

Pros

Really tried to hire, integrate and develop young engineers from various backgrounds.

Cons

Boring work at times. They need to do a better job connecting our jobs to the impact we have on the community.

11. "My IT Internship at Pepco"

Former Employee - Information Technology Intern IV in Bear, DE
    Former Employee - Information Technology Intern IV in Bear, DE

I worked at Pepco Holdings (More than a year)

Pros

Peaceful, friendly work environment. I wish they had a place for me my internship ended.

Cons

Nothing to report as far as Cons.

Advice to Management

Push for more opportunities to hire ITs out of college.