Cover image for Pepper Construction

Pepper Construction

Engaged Employer

Pepper Construction

Add a Review

Pepper Construction Employee Reviews about "pepper"

Updated Oct 27, 2020

4.3
Pepper Construction CEO Stan Pepper
Stan Pepper

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Great people to work with throughout the organization.(in 12 reviews)
  • "Pepper treats employees great!(in 6 reviews)
  • "Pays well and has great benefits(in 6 reviews)
  • "Great atmosphere, People are great, Culture is good.(in 3 reviews)
  • "Good pay and good coworkers(in 3 reviews)
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "pepper"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 5.0

Innovative Culture

Feb 22, 2019 - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
    Business Outlook

Pros

Pepper is a great place to work. I've been at Pepper Indiana for 11 years and have always been impressed with the high caliber of people in our company. I am well supported by senior management. Pepper continues to look for ways to improve our operation and is open to new ideas. Pepper has built a culture of doing things right, even when it's not convenient. I have never felt pressured to cut a corner or do anything less than what is right for the client and our company. I hope to work here until I retire.

Cons

Nothing to report - great place to work!

2 people found this review helpful
  2. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

If you are not in with the management prior to employment, your career will be stalled

May 25, 2012 - Project Engineer in Tinley Park, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

1. ) Great work experiences in healthcare 2.) Knowledgeable superintendents 3.) Work here to get some experience and go somewhere else for a career.

Cons

As with most construction companies, the management are very closed off to new ideas. You'll do well only if someone in the management team recommended you to work there or you are related to the Pepper family in some way. As noted in someone else's review, most employees are treated poorly at Pepper. One project manager in particular unnecessarily puts engineers through the meat grinder to the point where HR has to get involved. It's not an ideal situation for most.

3. Join the Pepper Construction team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Good Company

May 3, 2017 - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
    Business Outlook

Pros

Pepper offers great benefits and is very family-oriented. Overall, work-life balance is so-so; I'm lucky to have a manager who does value work-life balance, so it's a bit different for me than others in the office. Office location is decent at best. Would be much nicer to work closer to downtown. They have office events that can be fun.

Cons

Very strict on money. Will choose cheaper stuff with less quality over better quality and just a bit more expensive. For the size of the company, it surprises me they don't offer free snacks or drinks (comes back to the money issue). Unless you are an executive in the office, your opinion doesn't matter. People get overly emotional and dramatic if they aren't chosen for awards or recognition, so the office doesn't do much of that.

2 people found this review helpful
  5. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Good People

Apr 8, 2022 - Project Engineer II in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Pepper has great employees with strong integrity.

Cons

At Pepper, they have the resources and tools to be successful. From my perspective, what holds them back is the ability to make change quickly and effectively.

Pepper Construction Response

Thank you for acknowledging our commitment to integrity and for offering constructive feedback to our leadership teams.

6. 4.0
    Current Employee

Great Family Owned Company

Apr 13, 2022 - Construction Estimator
    Business Outlook

Pros

Pepper treats employees great! Family First

Cons

Pepper has to many computer programs

Pepper Construction Response

Thank you for the great feedback! We appreciate hearing where we excel as well as where we can improve. Technology is a facet we’re committed to. We have been working towards upgrading our technology systems/protocols and would love to hear about ways to streamline our programs. Please feel free to reach out to your Illinois HR Director to discuss these ideas and recommendations.

7. 5.0
    Current Intern, less than 1 year

Great Experience

Jul 20, 2015 - Anonymous Intern in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Pepper will give you as much work and you can handle and they allow you learn.

Cons

What you learn is not always what you want to learn

8. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Great Exposure

Oct 27, 2020 - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Perfect place to learn & grow. Not much formal training involved but if you're willing to put the effort in, you will be fine. Forming a relationship with your team is the best way to learn. Pepper has amazing employees that are willing to mentor newcomers that show ambition and promise. Pepper pays for parking - VERY rare perk. Thank you, Tom. Friendly, small business vibes. If you're getting coffee, you're not invisible - expect to be greeted. Very cozy and welcoming atmosphere.

Cons

Salaries are not at all competitive.

1 person found this review helpful

Marketing Generalist

Thank you for the feedback! We’re glad your experience at Pepper was reflective of the high value we place on creating and maintaining positive relationships. We are continuously evaluating our compensation strategies and as we go forward, we will take a closer look at how our team can communicate through other forms of appreciation. If you have specific suggestions on this topic or how we can best train our managers, please feel free to contact our Illinois HR Director. We would appreciate your input!

9. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 10 years

It has been a great journey.

Feb 11, 2015 - Accounting Analyst in Barrington, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Pepper offers a great benefit program and there are many perks given to employees. My manager has always been honest and loyal which is exactly what I have given back.

Cons

The implemented ERP system has been a rocky conversion but the team is working on getting items corrected.

4 people found this review helpful
  10. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 10 years

Great place for a career

Feb 22, 2019 - Safety Director in Indianapolis, IN
    Business Outlook

Pros

Pepper is a great place to make a career. The development and growth opportunities provided at Pepper make it particularly attractive for folks wishing to put roots down. The company embraces technology and innovation, positioning itself well for continued future success. Great people to work with throughout the organization.

Cons

At some point, I have to retire!

11. 5.0

Great culture

Feb 8, 2019 - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great family oriented company culture. Employees at all levels are helpful, friendly, and truly care about one another. Benefits package is good and includes many company paid components. Lots of perks available to employees. Pepper operates in a wide variety of markets allowing for a diverse portfolio for employees and job security as economic shifts occur. There are a lot of employees with significant longevity here that are great resources for others. They ask for employee feedback and work to address issues in a timely manner.

Cons

None that I can think of.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 12 Reviews