Pepperdine University Reviews | Glassdoor

Pepperdine University President Andrew K. Benton
Andrew K. Benton

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • The pay is not equal to cost of living, but they say the amount they pay in benefits offsets it (in 7 reviews)

• Not a lot of room for advancement / promotion or pay raises (in 4 reviews)

1. "What a great place to work!"

Former Employee - IT Analyst - Imaging Manager in Malibu, CA
    Former Employee - IT Analyst - Imaging Manager in Malibu, CA

Pros

the university encourages personal growth and offers many lunch time and other time learning options. the work is challenging and there is a great sense of purpose. Great co-workers. The systems and facilities are up-to-date and there is an opportunity to work with best in class systems. The office administrator plans department events to promote collaboration and team work. The network group and server team are some of the most qualified people with whom I have ever worked.

Cons

Unfortunately the salary level is below industry; however, the conditions are great.

Advice to Management

Consider options for increasing the salaries of administrative workers to be more competitive.

2. "Excellent place to work"

Former Employee - Student Services Coordinator in Malibu, CA
    Former Employee - Student Services Coordinator in Malibu, CA

Pros

The management cares for employees, students, staff, and faculty. You feel like you are part of a family, and people genuinely care to make relationships with you to make a more positive environment. After working here I truly feel that students are extremely lucky to be able to go to this school. It's a fantastic place to study and to work. Plus the view of the ocean is stunning! Pepperdine taught me a lot about how a private university works, and what public universities should aim to be like.

Cons

Not a whole lot of food options close by the campus. Dining hall closes up early, so if you take a late lunch, you're forced to find something off campus. There are some great restaurants nearby, but they can get old and expensive after some time. Fortunately, Santa Monica is a mere 10 minute drive away, so there's tons of options there.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you guys are doing. You guys are the best!

3. "You couldn't ask for a place with better spirit"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malibu, CA

Pros

The core vision of the University "Freely you have been given, freely give" truly applies from the top to the bottom at the University. The staff, the faculty, the students all CARE. Seriously. These are people who have great heart and want to make a lasting positive impact on people who can then take what they've learned to make a lasting positive impact in the world.

Cons

I was only hired as a temporary fill in for a semester...but it set me on a course to better myself and my credentials and opened doors to new possibilities (I guess that's only half a con)

Advice to Management

You make great impacts in the business and legal worlds, expand your focus to include areas (like media and computer science), I think you will find they dovetail nicely into your core vision and will help spread the word. Keep the family feeling though...don't get too big...

4. "Great Place"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malibu, CA

Pros

Great benefits, great location, great people. It really is a great environment and community. Enjoy all the ammenities of the campus and college life.

Cons

Avoid the buracracy. Like most educational institutions the buracracy and size of the school slow down decision making and can sometimes encourage complacency because of this culture.

Advice to Management

Allow for more autonomy of junior management and demand a quicker pace for decision making. Return focus of the school to academics. Maintain religious foundation, but don't allow the school to become dogmatic.

5. "Awesome University"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malibu, CA

Pros

I loved their openness to new ideas. They try to live out their christian mission statement. The people are very nice and helpful.

Cons

Like with any organization there are some people there that don't belong. They believe in giving second chances and sometimes that's one chance too many.

Advice to Management

Be more direct and honest when giving feedback. Don't be afraid to make some changes when you see a problem.

6. "It is an amazing opportunity to grow in my field."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malibu, CA

Pros

I get paid to do a job I love to do and I get to hone my organizational and management skills

Cons

There are not always as many tasks for you to do as you might like

Advice to Management

Good job

7. "Pepperdine University is a community of people working together to shape the hearts, souls, and minds of its students."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malibu, CA

I have been working at Pepperdine University full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Authentic People, Place of Faith, Passionately Inspired, Purposeful Leadership, Values-Centered Work...the work of employees at Pepperdine is about influencing the world for good by equipping young people with the knowledge, skills, and experiences they need, with a foundation of values and purpose. That is the kind of "product" I can get behind.

Cons

Many perceive Pepperdine to be a very affluent school and expect budgets and salaries to be sky high. However, Pepperdine, like many private colleges, is a non-profit organization, 75 years young, and committed to fiscal stewardship and responsibility. We have been blessed in many ways, but job seekers should have a realistic understanding of the financial parameters and limitations the institution faces.

Advice to Management

Stay the course and hold fast to your faith and values. Our faith is what has made us unique and I hope that it will continue to do so for decades to come!

8. "Love working here so far"

Current Employee - Technician in Malibu, CA
    Current Employee - Technician in Malibu, CA

I have been working at Pepperdine University full-time

Pros

Great people and a great community to work in. I work a mile from the beach and have great views.

Cons

Unless you can afford to live in malibu, it can be a bit of a communte.

Advice to Management

I dont have any yet

9. "Community-centered environment"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Malibu, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Malibu, CA

I have been working at Pepperdine University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible work environment, everyone is super friendly and wants to get to know you, lots of community activities

Cons

The pay is not that great, and not a lot of room for advancement since it's a small organization.

10. "Great Work and Personal Balance"

Current Employee - Web and Multimedia Developer in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Web and Multimedia Developer in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Pepperdine University full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Management cares for the personality development of their employees, encourages workers to respect each other minimizing conflicts. Beneftis comparable to most Universities. Nice support in terms of hardware they encourage you to change your computers or devices every four years.

Cons

Not a lot of promotion,

I do not see a lot of cons working for the university that is why I still work for them.

Advice to Management

They should look at employees who has been there at least 5 years and never got a title change or promotion. Base decision not only from what they hear from the immediate supervisor but overall service to the company. Ones deliverable and execution.