Pepperdine University Reviews | Glassdoor

Pepperdine University Reviews

Updated May 23, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
Cons
  • The pay is not equal to cost of living, but they say the amount they pay in benefits offsets it (in 6 reviews)

• Generally, they don't pay that well and there is not a lot of room for advancement (in 4 reviews)

1. "Office Staff"

Former Employee - Office Assistant in Malibu, CA
    Former Employee - Office Assistant in Malibu, CA

I worked at Pepperdine University (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible Schedule, Understanding Management, employee facing

Cons

lack oflong tern career opportunities

2. "Best Job Ever"

Current Employee - Campus Tour Guide in Malibu, CA
    Current Employee - Campus Tour Guide in Malibu, CA

I have been working at Pepperdine University (More than a year)

Pros

I love being a campus tour guide. It is honestly never a dull moment. I love touring around prospective students and sharing my love for Pepperdine with them. You can also schedule your own hours. Working on campus is so convenient!

Cons

The only con to my job is that we have to memorize and follow a 18 page script. However it is only difficult in the beginning and you can add experiences or jokes to personalize your tours!

3. "University with limitless opportunity"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Pepperdine University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pepperdine has one of the best study abroad programs in the nation, and I was lucky enough to have been given the chance to study abroad in Shanghai, China for my Spring 2015 semester of college.

Cons

Pepperdine is a smaller school in comparison to other top schools, but it can also serve as a strength because you form stronger bonds with those around you.

"PTSD after three years at GSBM"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malibu, CA

I worked at Pepperdine University (More than 3 years)

Pros

Discount on tuition, small handful of likable coworkers, West LA campus was a short commute for me. Work hours were fairly stable. I was rarely asked or needed to stay late. Occasionally, after a catered a lunch for faculty, staff members were permitted to pick over the leftovers if we brought our own paper plates -- that was always a treat.

Cons

It's been a while, so I can't say if the same holds true, but

The school abides by a mantra of "values-centered leadership," but during my three-year stint as a mid-level marketing team member, I witnessed nothing that resembled values or leadership. The executive management led with an archaic leadership style, and it was a powerless feeling to watch a rapid fire of poor decisions lead to a series of lay-offs and unexpected resignations. The longer I stayed, the worse it got.

There is a huge disconnect between the West LA campus and the Malibu hub. I once tried to call a human resources colleague to complain and eventually gave up after three days of being unable to reach someone.

The vibe of the office teetered between Christian cult and Caucasian clubhouse. It was uptight and boring, so if you are a creative type or have a personality, you might have a hard time being yourself at work. Also, get ready for long and plentiful pointless meetings where people take credit for the work of others and nothing really gets accomplished.

I couldn't make ends meet on the crappy salary they paid me, and I suffered a terrible financial hardship during my time there. I think they saw an opportunity in light of the poor economic climate and took that opportunity to pay me less than the average college graduates a decade my junior despite my 12 years of professional experience.

I reported to several supervisors, each operating under their own brand of oblivion, the worst being my direct supervisor whose mental instability went largely unaddressed and eventually led to my unceremonious departure and still leaves me with a terrible taste in my mouth.

It was an upsetting experience--one that often bordered on abusive--but if anything good has come of it, it's that I am that so grateful for the normalcy of the opportunities that have followed, and I don't put up with this kind of crap anymore.

Advice to Management

Embrace more diversity, adopt more modern management practices, stop celebrating the failures of your directors, and lighten up a little, or a lot.

"Was great at one time..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malibu, CA

I worked at Pepperdine University full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Students and Faculty are Great. Tasks at hand are good

Cons

Beware of certain management, they seem to have you work for them, not the Community. Stealing your ideas for only their gain... :(

Advice to Management

Apparently we all are replacable.. sad

7. "Great - Student Working"

Current Employee - Student Worker in Malibu, CA
    Current Employee - Student Worker in Malibu, CA

I have been working at Pepperdine University part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Gets you right into the bulk of real-world experience and helps make connections along the way. Very good for those who are starting, and want to know how things should be done.

Cons

There are not many cons, but the only thing I would say is a con is pay is a little low, considering the work done is of high volume.

Advice to Management

Not too much advice; I would just say keep doing what you’re doing. Everything is great and it is a great experience to be able to work for Pepperdine

8. "prep cook"

Former Employee - Line Cook in Malibu, CA
    Former Employee - Line Cook in Malibu, CA

I worked at Pepperdine University (Less than a year)

Pros

the view is trully beautiful

Cons

your days will be consumed by work, traffic is a big problem

9. "Great experience!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malibu, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malibu, CA

I have been working at Pepperdine University part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I am a student worker and the employer communicates directly with me, and I am always paid on time.

Cons

The pay is barely above minimum wage, sometimes it is hard work but never too much to handle. Not good if you don't like working with people

Advice to Management

The systems used for scheduling and clocking in and out are out of date and sometimes hard to use, so consider updating the programs or software.

10. "Adjunct"

Former Employee - Italian Language Adjunct Professor in Turlock, CA
    Former Employee - Italian Language Adjunct Professor in Turlock, CA

I worked at Pepperdine University (More than a year)

Pros

-Amazing and caring colleagues
    -Kind students

Cons

- low salary
    - commute
    - benefits for an adjunct

11. "Student and Employee Review"

Current Employee - Faculty Support in Malibu, CA
    Current Employee - Faculty Support in Malibu, CA

I have been working at Pepperdine University part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pepperdine pays relatively well for on campus jobs. There are a fair amount of employment opportunities available. Easy to find jobs regardless of your personal experience.

Cons

Most jobs do not require much effort and can become a bit boring. With that being said, not much is asked of student employees. Wish there were more opportunities available to those without work study.

Advice to Management

Open up more opportunities to students without work study. Replace Sodexo with Pepperdine itself and employ students to care for the health and wellness or their peers.