Pepperdine University Reviews | Glassdoor

Pepperdine University Reviews

Updated June 15, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
Cons
  • The pay is not equal to cost of living, but they say the amount they pay in benefits offsets it (in 6 reviews)

• Generally, they don't pay that well and there is not a lot of room for advancement (in 4 reviews)

1. "Great Place to Work!"

Former Employee - Office Assistant in Malibu, CA
    Former Employee - Office Assistant in Malibu, CA

Pros

Friendly Staff, flexible hours, good connections

Cons

No cons for this job.

Advice to Management

N/A

2. "Great People"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malibu, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malibu, CA

I worked at Pepperdine University (Less than a year)

Pros

The people are amazing at Pepperdine

Cons

The pay is lower than it could have been.

"Graduate School of Education and Psychology"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Pepperdine University (More than 3 years)

Pros

No worries about parking. 405 is practically next door. Fantastic benefits.

Cons

Changes are made without consulting professors, even when the changes directly impact them. Problems are rarely resolved and folks are left to just live with them or ignore them. Lack of communication. Ineffective at maintaining or following deadlines. Bullying.

Advice to Management

Better communication before decisions are made. More events and opportunities for staff to bond and get to know each other. A more open-door policy among those in leadership positions would mean people don't feel isolated and expected to deal with problems on their own.

"Graziadio School"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Pepperdine University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Many of the people that work within the business school are delightful and driven by passion and ethics. I've met some wonderful people there that were my colleagues, employees and more.

Cons

If you're thinking of working within the business school... RUN. The school has gone through a lot of ups and downs over the past 5 years and is worse than ever as far as turnover (both voluntary and involuntary), lack of opportunities, poor senior management and low morale. Unfortunately, it seems the "good people" were always the target of so many misguided and failed attempts to try to cut costs or fuel the ego of a senior executive.

Since the jobs are not well-paid, the school used to emphasize the benefits of work-life balance as a selling point. However, the majority of people I know there have less work-life balance than other industries that pay 2x as much. Most people find themselves working 10+ hour days and on weekends for jobs that are largely 40-80k max without any type of bonuses or ways to make extra income based on success and efforts. You're lucky if you get a pat on the back.

Advice to Management

My advice is to restructure your restructure. Get your head out of the sand and pay attention to the enormously high and consistent turnover rates and feedback that people give on the climate survey. And, give good people in the organization the opportunities to grow within the company. It should be a company policy (like many other similar organizations) that if an internal candidate applies for a role they should get the opportunity to interview.

The business of business education at Pepperdine does not match what they are selling. Be careful.

5. "Resident Assistant"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Paron, AR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Paron, AR

I worked at Pepperdine University part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pepperdine is a tight-knit community where each individual is treated as a human being. Very positive working environment.

Cons

There is significant lack of organization, at least in the Housing and Residence Life department. The administration doesn't always communicate effectively either.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees' input.

6. "Great people, enjoy the day to day challenges"

Current Employee - Senior Associate Director in Culver City, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Associate Director in Culver City, CA

I have been working at Pepperdine University full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good work environment for the most part. Supporting students has its rewards, and makes day to day interesting and challenging.

Cons

Recent layoffs and budget cuts has created a fearful work environment.

Advice to Management

Treat your staff as if they were your most valuable commodity. Because they are.

"Student Development"

Current Employee - Management in Malibu, CA
    Current Employee - Management in Malibu, CA

Pros

Good People, small environment and close relationships can be formed with staff, faculty and students

Flexible work hours

Cons

Poor pay (even with graduate degree and experience) No real structure around employee development. No real HR structure around internal movement within the organization. Poor collaborative efforts. Lack data driven work force strategies

Advice to Management

Create data driven structures and processes and pay your talented staff what they are worth to avoid high turn over.

8. "Friendly, professional and respectful work environment"

Current Employee - Career Counselor in Malibu, CA
    Current Employee - Career Counselor in Malibu, CA

I have been working at Pepperdine University part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Of all the places I've worked, the group I work with at this campus feels the most like a 'team.' Great views, respectful co-workers and a collaborative environment. I feel like my experience is valued, regardless of my age- and that I am able to make significant contributions in my group - which is important for me. The manager of my department is excellent, and encourages new ideas/ asking questions!

Cons

If you live in/near central LA, it's a really serious commute, especially on the way home. It's not unusual for it to take 1.5-2 hours for me to get home at night

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! And keep exploring ways for faculty, staff and consultants to be more relevant to the surrounding communities, in terms of fostering relationships for employment opportunities, and thinking outside the box (as far as training and partnerships!).

9. "Laid back and enjoyable"

Former Employee - Communication Division Receptionist in Malibu, CA
    Former Employee - Communication Division Receptionist in Malibu, CA

Pros

Good managers, laid back atmosphere (business casual), decent compensation, they treat students and alumni well, fun staff

Cons

Not many cons. I was a student employee so I don't have a lot to say for those of you who are applying for full time positions.

Advice to Management

Keep it up :)

10. "Like working for your family"

Former Employee - Vice President of Administration for Student Affairs in Malibu, CA

I worked at Pepperdine University part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Intelligent people, good pay, environment that fosters personal growth. One of my favorite parts of this University is its ability to bring out the best in people

Cons

Issues with the ability to climb the corporate ladder within the University. Once you choose a department, expect to be stuck working there for a long time before you are able to move up