PepsiCo District Sales Leader Reviews | Glassdoor

PepsiCo Chairman and CEO Indra K. Nooyi
Indra K. Nooyi

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work Life Balance is hard to find sometimes (in 658 reviews)

• Depending on your project you may be working at night some days or just long hours (in 551 reviews)

"Sales District Leader"

Current Employee - District Sales Leader

I have been working at PepsiCo full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay, good benefits.
    Good product and huge potential for growth.
    Great resources for sales information.
    A lot of good people who care about what they do.

Cons

Growth is limited due to meeting region targets instead of localized targets.
    Direction from the top at times is unrealistic. Don't coorelate market trend to volume plans...markets are trending down, Pepsico's goal trends up.
    Difficult to maintain customer relations when forcing product into stores it doesn't belong.
    Key Accounts seems to have weak relationships with buyers.
    Micromanaged spending. Pepsico does no want money being spent.
    MEM department is very weak.
    Too many people leaving the company...little scary.

Advice to Management

Fix the MEM problem.
    Create cash incentives for reps to hit volume targets.
    Units need more flexibility when it comes to spending.
    Visit the locations. There needs to be a Regional Sales Manager presence at least once a year to come down and grade the market performance.

"District Sales Leader"

Current Employee - District Sales Leader

I have been working at PepsiCo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Exciting, fast paced, and competitive

Cons

Ridiculous hours, terrible communication channels, nothing gets done when you need it, pay is decent if the hours were fairly normal, very little appreciation for winning contests or good performance.

Advice to Management

Find a way to keep up with other companies on employee appreciation, comfort, and inclusion. A culture of "work until your hands bleed" does not work anymore, this needs to start to change. We are entering a time of getting things done in a more efficient way, ridiculous/unnecessary hours should not be expected anymore.

"Former SDL for Frito"

Former Employee - District Sales Leader
    Former Employee - District Sales Leader

I worked at PepsiCo full-time

Pros

The flexibility you are given to lead your own teams is excellent

Cons

the resources you are given to with your own teams are not. The training process for both internal and external hires is the same and is an arduous 1 year adventure where you are promised that you will receive a District somewhere within the Region and a full 18 months to learn your craft. In my particular case I was run from a mini district in one state, to a full district 3 hours away from home and then to a job classification that I had no experience in with 2 days of training that was broken up over a two week period. I finally was given the opportunity to run a district in my Zone but was told that I would have to move my family again. We had moved across the state when I first started working for Frito. We found our dream house ion the price range that we were willing to pay and was told it was not close enough to the district I would be working in - it was 30 miles away from my District office. We found another home that was acceptable to my boss - that was 45 miles away from my District office. Selling out of our original house so early caused us to rack up massive credit card bills in order to stay cash rich for a new house purchase. Once I was settled I was told I would be leading a re-engineering project, losing half my district and gaining another 2 cities. The District I had inherited had been underperforming for over 7 years its largest route hadn't had a salesman in over 2 years and been through numerous merchandisers. Unsaleables were out of control. I was told I would be given 18 months to turn the ship around. Going into the summer we had massive road construction in a primary market that all but shut the city down, natural disasters (tornados, withering hale storms, and a devastating drought. My market is dependent on the Agriculture Business if the farmers don't make it I don't make it. 12 months later I was presented with a PIP - Performance Improvement Plan - with 7 areas on metrics and that I had to show improvement in all areas if I was to retain my job. The top 2 were Sales Plan and Unsaleables Plan and the.... My average sales plan was 116% to prior year and I had as high as 250% in some accounts. My boss came into my Market every 4-5 weeks and I had to endure a mental/emotional beating for 10 hours or more. Nothing was never good enough I was told that nothing was right and when I stepped in to help my salespeople I was told that I was doing to much work for them I was told I was putting in too many hours, too few hours, and even once chewed out about having a 5 o:clock shadow and that my shoes were not shiny enough.

Advice to Management

none I wont work for you again

"Good Experience but not set for Long term Development"

Former Employee - District Sales Leader in Port St Lucie, FL
    Former Employee - District Sales Leader in Port St Lucie, FL

I worked at PepsiCo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Experience you get and Brands you work with

Cons

Not set up for Long term development. Top priority is running routes. You feel as if you are a RSR and not DSL. Turnover is not slowing down. People come and in and people come out, for both RSR and DSLs. If your looking for a company with a great culture the frontline is not it. Can't speak for other departments.

Advice to Management

Work on Turnover issue, development and training, and setting DSLs up for Longterm growth.

PepsiCo Response

Jul 24, 2017 – Talent Manager

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback.

"Don't drink the pretty colored kool aid they serve!!! What they are selling is not the reality!"

Current Employee - District Sales Leader in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - District Sales Leader in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at PepsiCo full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits and pay are great compared to direct competitors. Your team of managers are always willing to help one another.

Cons

Unrealistic hours at work at Frito Lay. Zero work life balance and anything under a 12 hour day is frowned upon. They expect managers to run routes, be on call24/7 and get reprimanded for not completing your own assignments even though you're running routes due to lack of staffing. New upper management team act as if they are better than everyone else there. District managers connect with their sales reps and that's what keeps most of them from not quitting! Upper management keeps pushing to "write them up"... they are already upset about the new pay structure which is based on working a minimum of 50 hours to make less money. Granted some people shouldn't be there but even the morale of some great sales reps are down. New ZBM has zero empathy and sympathy and doesn't care about anyone but himself. If he spent as much time on hiring staff as he did on smoking outside, maybe the place wouldn't be falling apart. Maybe managers wouldn't be quitting either!

Advice to Management

Stop acting like you're above everyone, including your district Sales leaders. Get a reality check on your expectations which are unrealistic. Instead of sitting in your office all day and barking orders, go out into the market and connect with people.

"District Manager"

Current Employee - District Sales Leader in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - District Sales Leader in Boston, MA

I have been working at PepsiCo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great management training program, fast paced and competitive,

Cons

High pressure, demanding, unstructured schedule,

"Was great, but has become unbearable. Overwhelming and never feel accomplished."

Current Employee - Sales District Leader in North Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - Sales District Leader in North Charleston, SC

I have been working at PepsiCo full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Money is good, coworkers keep you going. Building new equipment in a store or selling a big display are the fun part of this job. Meeting new people and working on common goals to grow your business while also growing there business selling your products.

Cons

Company is making bad long term and short term decisions. Spending time/focus on unnecessary projects. Worried about HR and stock market then the people making everything happen any more.

Advice to Management

Goals on your yearly performance reviews need to all be achievable. Need to focus on the people that make it happen on the streets. Need to stop cutting everything and add to the positions that will make money to the company. Change the entire base level positions so that we have a work life balance and stop saying your doing it when your really not doing anything!

8. "Awesome"

Current Employee - Sales Associate/District Sales Leader in Manteca, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/District Sales Leader in Manteca, CA

I have been working at PepsiCo full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great opportunity to grow both personally and professionally.

Cons

May take a lot of personal time.

"Sales District Leader"

Current Employee - Sales District Leader in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Sales District Leader in Omaha, NE

I have been working at PepsiCo (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible days to help coach and lead sales teams. There are online trainings you can utilize to continue to develop yourself.

Cons

The company puts a lot on the sdl. You receive calls from customers 7 days a week and it work life balance truly isn't there. Typical day consists of 6am-5pm. Lots of pressure.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and staff up. Continually worry more about the bottom line rather than the employee. Has become a tough company to work for.

"PepsiCo doesn't care"

Former Employee - District Sales Leader in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - District Sales Leader in Orlando, FL

I worked at PepsiCo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Full benefits like Medical and Dental insurance, life insurance, and a 401k

Cons

PepsiCo does not care about it's employees. Sure it does little things like let you earn points to redeem in a catalog of goods, but its employees are just numbers in a machine.

Advice to Management

Your people are your key to success. You have to take better care of them.