PepsiCo Reviews | Glassdoor

2,064 Ratings

5,371 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • shifts if back to back becomes a bit hard on Work/Life balance (in 634 reviews)

• Long hours that are added last minute (in 526 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Sales Intern-Pepsi Beverages Company"

Current Employee - Intern in Kankakee, IL
    Current Employee - Intern in Kankakee, IL

I have been working at PepsiCo (Less than a year)

Pros

At the beginning of the internship Pepsi does a nice job of making sure your onboarding process is smooth and you are introduced to the company before going out into the market to work with customers. Throughout my internship I was given the opportunity to work with customers and get real-world experience that is not offered in any classroom setting. My managers and every other employee at the plant were very welcoming and always around to answer any questions that I had. I would highly recommend this internship for anyone looking to work for a competitive and innovative company!

Cons

There was not any cons to this internship, the overall experience was excellent.

Advice to Management

My managers were great and very welcoming. They should keep doing exactly what they are already doing.

PepsiCo Response

Aug 5, 2016 – Talent Manager

Thank you for sharing your experience as an intern at PepsiCo!

"If you value time with your family, and hate stress, never, ever work for Pepsi Bottling Group"

Former Employee - Kam in Albuquerque, NM
    Former Employee - Kam in Albuquerque, NM

Pros

The healthcare benefits are wonderful.

Cons

It is completely about politics. Many lazy people who go to the topless bars with their bosses, and go out for drinking get promoted. Meanwhile, those that do an honest day's work get left behind. The pay is a joke for the work you do. Pepsi has many unbelieveable hurdles to meet. And when they are not met, they play the blame game for reasons why the numbers had not been me. They rarely look at the fact that they underpay the employess, expect them to work on assigned holidays, weekends. Yet if you are in the "club" you can get away with murder.

Advice to Management

Open your eyes as to how unhappy your people are.

"A great stepping stone, great second master's degree, or path to baldness"

Current Employee - Finance Manager in Purchase, NY
    Current Employee - Finance Manager in Purchase, NY

Pros

Good platform to jump from; in 3yrs I have seen co-workers all leave the company (at less than 1.5yrs served) to other roles for +30% salary. Good best practices; when I speak to colleagues about how we execute our planning, at the level of detail, with our level of control, I am listened to for guidance. A good second masters degree; generally a very well run program-I joined PepsiCo because I wanted a tighter run org in my life and was exhausted from having to inherit others' past lapses-PepsiCo finance is that very tight and well run machine, its good exposure into how to approach solid financial modeling and planning.

Cons

Overlapping & conflicting deliverables. Lack of respect towards employees. Large turnover. High stress in an investment banking attitude type life. Make corn syrup for America. Extreme, reads extreme, social engineering in promotion: in interviewing candidates for my department the focus has always been in the end to extend offers only to diversity qualifying candidates before those best qualified should they not fit that diversity background. Diversity inside PepsiCo is a verb; in three years I have seen bad results from this and there are race problems brewing within the ranks here. It is very unfortunate because by instituting a bonus structure to those Mgrs which hire a diversity candidate an artificial rainbow is created & doesn't work well together.

Advice to Management

Follow up with the Org Health Surveys conducted every 2 yrs, they are amazingly precise, well designed, and completely ignored.

"The culture of Frito Lay is very different, driven primarily by politics and by tenure at Frito Lay."

Current Employee - Senior Project Engineer in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Project Engineer in Plano, TX

Pros

- Work life balance: Frito give half-day Fridays during the summer and business travel for most jobs is relatively low.
    - Job stability: Frito is in a very stable industry and works hard to avoid lay-offs.
    - Dallas location: Dallas is a great place to work and live.

Cons

- Very political work environment: Politics often outweigh qualifications and job performance.
    - Lack of integrity: Information is often manipulated or "spun" to provide the most positive perception.
    - Arrogance and ignorance of those who have been at Frito their entire careers; Many at Frito think Frito is a world class organization but only because they have never worked at a world class organization like GE or P&G.
    - Little value put on experience from other companies

Advice to Management

- Reduce the influence of politics in Frito culture
    - Learn to value and respect outside experience
    - Walk the talk; Do what you say and say what you mean

"Proof that a company can be run like a prison."

Current Employee - Manager in Mid Florida, FL
    Current Employee - Manager in Mid Florida, FL

Pros

Pay and benefits package, name recognition of employer. Not too many positives about working here

Cons

This was the worst work environment you can imagine. Unethical management at the plant level was condoned by higher management, no support from HR on employee issues where employees were not being treated fairly. Absolutely horrible work environment, working every day, every weekend, every holiday, no vacation given, no standards of professional conduct for managers.

Advice to Management

You cannot run a company like a prison and expect people to perform. The recent example of Gary Wandscneider, a vicious egocentric little man, shows that the arrogant attitude coming from Somers was nothing short of sheer hypocracy. You guys should be ashamed of yourselves.

"Not as good an employer as everyone thinks!"

Pros

Oppurtunity to work overtime, decent benefits.

Cons

Forced overtime, no individual recognition.

Advice to Management

See employees as individuals and not as a group. Realize that if it were not for the hourly employees there would be no product to sell.

"Big Company with a bad reputation"

Former Employee - District Sales Leader in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - District Sales Leader in Cleveland, OH

Pros

You do make some great friends here.

Cons

Long hours for little pay, holidays are a day to spend with family and friends, not slinging chips at a WalMart all day, upper management plays "favorites."

Advice to Management

There is a reason most your management team can't take this place for more than 3 years...listen to them! You need to realize there is a balance between family life and work life and not every single holiday should be controlled by Frito. If a DC is a revolving door for employees and management is consistently running routes, this generally means there are larger issues in the organization & you should take a good, long look at the Zone running that city.

"Wow, 10 years and I'm still doing what I hate!"

Current Employee - RSR in Visalia, CA
    Current Employee - RSR in Visalia, CA

Pros

The best and maybe the only reason to work at Frito-Lay is money. You WILL work long hours, but it is good pay if you have no degree or are just getting that first good job

Cons

Some of the many downsides of working at Frito are LONG hours, lack of respect, little oppertunity for advancement, unreal sales expectations. This company will work you until your body can't do it any more, and then they'll get rid of you and replace you with some other idiot blinded by a decent paycheck. I was once told if I didn't like the way my manager was treating me, there was a stack of applications waiting for my job. Nice way to put it.

Advice to Management

Please strat treating employees as the valuable minds that they are. We are not just work horses.

"Stay away from Frito Lay if you want to have a life."

Former Employee - DSL in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - DSL in Cambridge, MA

Pros

For a person who likes to stick their noses up the boss's ass you will get ahead. The technology at Frito and Pepsi is years ahead of the competition.

Cons

Bad Management. Poor communication. Back- Stabbing encouraged. Management plays favorites. Operations has a bigger say than sales.

Advice to Management

Too many meetings to solve the same re-occurring problems. Roundtable after roundtable and the problems still exist. Get rid of the arrogance that exists. Customers are shaking their heads as to how Frito turns people. Everything falls to lower management so if something goes wrong it's their fault. Too much delegation. The company needs to treat the sales force with respect. Very few employees are happy delivering chips because of the moral and the way they are trated.

"Let the new hire beware"

Current Employee - Route Sales in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Route Sales in Detroit, MI

Pros

If you can stick it out until you get a route, the money can be pretty decent depending on what type of route it is. Not all routes are created equal. One would thing sales reps delivering to large grocery stores and super-centers would be paid the most because of the exposure and the importance of keeping these large accounts filled, but you would be wrong, the best paid reps have the the small gas stations, convience stores, and liquor stores. The health insurance is decent, but it is expensive. However, the vision program is very good, or so I have been told by the sales people at the eye-glass store.

Cons

The hours can be brutal, getting up at 3:00am and many times putting in 10+ hours a day. There are very few routes that run Mon-Fri so be prepared to work weekends. The split work-week is the worst, off Wed and Sat. You never get a weekend off, and if a holiday falls on a Monday, expect management to pressure you into working that day, and do not expect to get comped for it. They will offer an extra day's base pay. They attempt to treat holidays as if they were just another work day, but do not expect to see any managment there on a holiday, they are out enjoying the time off with their family. There are no personal days, and very few sick days, and if you take a sick day, management will pressure you work still make all your service calls.

Advice to Management

Recognition, recognition, recognition! Not some silly dinner where nothing of value is past out, but real programs that benefit the sales rep and his/her family. There is no bonus program in place, and no real positive incentives to do anything except but get by. It is very frustraing to essentially be working to earn someone else a bonus and recognition and receive little to none for the person who did the job. As it stands right now, there is not one positive motivational tool being used in the Detroit area, every thing punishment and negative. The moral has always been low, but since the change in upper management, it is downright dismal.

Showing 5,371 of 5,857 reviews