Perceptive Software Reviews in Kansas City, MO | Glassdoor

3.4
Perceptive Software President and CEO Scott Coons
Scott Coons

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Overall, the company really strives for work-life balance while keeping a fun and relaxing environment (in 16 reviews)

• The unlimited vacation plan, while unconventional, is quite enjoyable, as well (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • I no longer know everyone by name (in 6 reviews)

1. "Great company before the Lexmarkification"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Lenexa, KS
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Lenexa, KS

I worked at Perceptive Software (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very bright but humble developers
    Honest and very competent management
    Generally good if not excellent quality code base
    Good development processes (Agile done right)

Cons

After a surge of work following the acquisition by Lexmark, steady attrition and lack of opportunities.
    Significant uncertainty about the future of the business.
    Limited or sporadic raises.

2. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Overland Park, KS
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Overland Park, KS

I worked at Perceptive Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people are very hardworking and team oriented. Company is growing quickly and likes to work hard and play hard. They have a slide in the building.

Cons

Since the buy-out things weren't the same. They let go some HR employees that were there for a long time and didn't deserve to be let go like that.

"From .COM to Bust"

Former Employee - Software Architect in Lenexa, KS
    Former Employee - Software Architect in Lenexa, KS

I worked at Perceptive Software full-time

Pros

I started working at Perceptive Software back in 2005. I have to say that this is one of the best companies I have ever worked for, and have ever seen in the Mid-West. The culture was like something out of a silicon valley .COM startup. Catered lunches every day, order off the menu, all of the developers had their own offices, segways... sometimes even seeing Woz on a segway, etc, etc. The work and people were equally as awesome. At the helm was Scott Coons. He had built an amazing company.

Cons

Like most .COM stories, this one ends with a crash. 10 years later the company had sold itself to Lexmark. As Lexmark's software arm, Perceptive made a number of very, very large acquisitions of other software companies. Virtually all of them went south with the offices getting shutdown and products put on life support in India. Lexmark was trying to buy revenue, Eventually they bought a billion dollar software company that supplanted Perceptive Software as Lexmark's software brain trust. Eventually Lexmark's bad decisions caught up with them and they sold to a Chinese outfit. I left right before that happened. I saw a thriving .COM company turn into an aging hipster... like something out of IBM yet still trying to keep its cool label.

Advice to Management

To the old Management, you did a great job. I loved working there. It was truly awesome.

"Higher Hopes"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lenexa, KS

I worked at Perceptive Software full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

When I started, Perceptive was still privately owned and had the environment everyone raved about. The chance to advance was very evident.

Cons

Only after three months of being employed, it was sold to Lexmark and with that being a publicly held company the environment changed over time of course. At the end the opportunities were not there, the threat of lay offs was always present.

"A Regretful Career Choice"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Shawnee, KS
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Shawnee, KS

Pros

Unlimited vacation, casual dress code, nice working environment.

Cons

Lots of politics, and with Lexmark taking over, the company has gone down hill a lot the past few years.

Advice to Management

Try to be more transparent to your peers and subordinates.

6. "Don't get hit by a dodgeball"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Lenexa, KS
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Lenexa, KS

I have been working at Perceptive Software full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

This company has a dodge ball court and free donuts and bagels on Fridays. It has grown quite a bit since it was acquired by Lexmark. Now in a bigger building but this new building also has a dodgeball court. Other pluses include: Unlimited timeoff; 6 weeks of paternity leave; good 401k with 100% company match (up to 5%); etc

Cons

Has become a much bigger company. I no longer know everyone by name. Everyone is very technical and really know their stuff (it's hard to stand out :-) ).

"Growing company... and growing pains"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Kansas City, KS
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Kansas City, KS

I have been working at Perceptive Software full-time

Pros

Clear vision for sales people, good compensation for existing customer business, good atmosphere,

Cons

Too many corporate politics, company growing too fast to be proactive on many things - stuck behind the curve of change, Way too much time spent on mundane tasks such as updating 'activity reports' in salesforce, disengaged sales managers (not all of them, but in my case), company culture fading due to so many, and size of acquisitions.

Advice to Management

Knee jerk reactions are way too obvious to current employees - At least give the impression that thought has been put into decisions impacting drastic change to employees. There will only be more and more change as the company navigates these acquisitions, get better at adapting to it!

"Lexmark Corporate Politics Taking Over"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lenexa, KS

I worked at Perceptive Software full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The pros that made Perceptive such a great place are quickly being diminished. The people and the work culture was always the greatest part of Perceptive. Hard work was rewarded with great bonuses and nights out with your team. Lexmark has since taken a lot of these perks away. The people that led Perceptive to success are moving on as well.

Cons

The once open environment that encouraged their employees to collaborate and share their ideas is no longer. Ever since the rebranding, Lexmark culture has taken over. Excellent resources are being pushed away and replaced with content Kool-Aid drinking employees. Just the way Lexmark wants it. Cut back on pay, micromanage, and just do as your told.

Advice to Management

Stick to a vision and direction. Each acquisition leads to more and more confusion internally. Great resources will not stay around and wait to see future promises come to life. They need to see value and believe in the product you deliver today. Perceptive aka Lexmark Enterprise Software is selling a software and service they repeatedly fail to deliver.

"Bureaucracy Grande Supreme, with a side of Crispy Flextime"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lenexa, KS
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lenexa, KS

I have been working at Perceptive Software full-time

Pros

As acquisitions pile up, there's a sense of progress and possibilities for the future, even if we're not quite sure where to "put" the acquired companies in our mental map of the company's soul. Lexmark continues to support what was originally Perceptive's general flextime policy and spirit, which (at least in my group) values getting your work done (whenever and wherever that takes place) over a compliant show of sitting in a cubicle during certain hours. That's good, because our division uses many remote (home-based) employees. I have a hard time believing many other companies have this progressive of an attitude about self-motivation and face time, particularly among the Fortune 500, and for many of us it's a definite loyalty-builder.

Cons

Owner Lexmark's IBM-bred culture of hierarchy, hyper-specialization, consensus, buck-passing, meetings for everything, politeness and fear of contradicting one's "superiors" produces an almost comical level of bureaucracy, which continues to spread to the once-agile Perceptive team. The ISS (hardware) team based in Lexington are individually smart and hard-working, but collectively they can make screwing in a light bulb a two-month process. I sense that the top brass understands this, but seems powerless to do anything about it other than spouting slogans like "Be disruptive!" Unfortunately, through years of natural selection, the ISS-ites I've met appear temperamentally incapable of doing anything but obeying orders, waiting for approval and generally playing it safe.

Advice to Management

Teach your lieutenants, corporals, chiefs of staff and field marshals that it's okay to ask questions, talk back, and trust their own instincts. While it's true that leadership ultimately has to answer to shareholders, and at some point your subordinates have to get behind your goals and strategy, promote a culture that allows for airing alternate viewpoints and promotes talking through and making a case for your big initiatives--rather than allowing them to treat you like divine royalty whose word is law.

10. "Fun, fast paced, growing, rewarding"

Current Employee - Sales Leader in Lenexa, KS
    Current Employee - Sales Leader in Lenexa, KS

I have been working at Perceptive Software full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fantastic technology with ever changing challenges to address with it. Great people and work environment. Opportunity is endless both professionally and financially.

Cons

The health benefit costs are 3x more than what they were five years ago. Big company infrastructure has occurred over the last few years that impedes the nimble approach needed sometimes.