Perceptive Software Reviews | Glassdoor

Perceptive Software Reviews

Perceptive Software President and CEO Scott Coons
Scott Coons

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Overall, the company really strives for work-life balance while keeping a fun and relaxing environment (in 16 reviews)

• The unlimited vacation plan, while unconventional, is quite enjoyable, as well (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • I no longer know everyone by name (in 6 reviews)

"From .COM to Bust"

Former Employee - Software Architect in Lenexa, KS
    Former Employee - Software Architect in Lenexa, KS

I worked at Perceptive Software full-time

Pros

I started working at Perceptive Software back in 2005. I have to say that this is one of the best companies I have ever worked for, and have ever seen in the Mid-West. The culture was like something out of a silicon valley .COM startup. Catered lunches every day, order off the menu, all of the developers had their own offices, segways... sometimes even seeing Woz on a segway, etc, etc. The work and people were equally as awesome. At the helm was Scott Coons. He had built an amazing company.

Cons

Like most .COM stories, this one ends with a crash. 10 years later the company had sold itself to Lexmark. As Lexmark's software arm, Perceptive made a number of very, very large acquisitions of other software companies. Virtually all of them went south with the offices getting shutdown and products put on life support in India. Lexmark was trying to buy revenue, Eventually they bought a billion dollar software company that supplanted Perceptive Software as Lexmark's software brain trust. Eventually Lexmark's bad decisions caught up with them and they sold to a Chinese outfit. I left right before that happened. I saw a thriving .COM company turn into an aging hipster... like something out of IBM yet still trying to keep its cool label.

Advice to Management

To the old Management, you did a great job. I loved working there. It was truly awesome.

"Higher Hopes"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lenexa, KS
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lenexa, KS

I worked at Perceptive Software full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

When I started, Perceptive was still privately owned and had the environment everyone raved about. The chance to advance was very evident.

Cons

Only after three months of being employed, it was sold to Lexmark and with that being a publicly held company the environment changed over time of course. At the end the opportunities were not there, the threat of lay offs was always present.

3. "Don't get hit by a dodgeball"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Lenexa, KS
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Lenexa, KS

I have been working at Perceptive Software full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

This company has a dodge ball court and free donuts and bagels on Fridays. It has grown quite a bit since it was acquired by Lexmark. Now in a bigger building but this new building also has a dodgeball court. Other pluses include: Unlimited timeoff; 6 weeks of paternity leave; good 401k with 100% company match (up to 5%); etc

Cons

Has become a much bigger company. I no longer know everyone by name. Everyone is very technical and really know their stuff (it's hard to stand out :-) ).

"Growing company... and growing pains"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Kansas City, KS
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Kansas City, KS

I have been working at Perceptive Software full-time

Pros

Clear vision for sales people, good compensation for existing customer business, good atmosphere,

Cons

Too many corporate politics, company growing too fast to be proactive on many things - stuck behind the curve of change, Way too much time spent on mundane tasks such as updating 'activity reports' in salesforce, disengaged sales managers (not all of them, but in my case), company culture fading due to so many, and size of acquisitions.

Advice to Management

Knee jerk reactions are way too obvious to current employees - At least give the impression that thought has been put into decisions impacting drastic change to employees. There will only be more and more change as the company navigates these acquisitions, get better at adapting to it!

"Perks of the company overshadowed by policy mess"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Perceptive Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's a good company to start out of college with, the company has a good name in the Kansas City area. They have a good product, and there is a great deal to learn in the company. If you home in on a product that nobody knows there's a potential that it can turn into a job title.

Cons

In the short time I've been here, acquisitions have been degrading the company culture. The things they were once cherished for such as 'Pour by Fours' and team outings are slowly being phased away. Professional services is nothing but a mess, leaving consultants to clean up the messes of sales, project managers and the like. Work-Life balance no longer exists; good luck getting time off when you're balancing multiple projects that are blowing up. There is a severe disconnect from sales to professional service, and it seems to be widening.

Advice to Management

Get down on the floor level and really see what's going on. Find out where disconnects are happening and do something to alleviate it. Talk with middle management more.

6. "Fun company to work for"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Shawnee, KS
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Shawnee, KS

I have been working at Perceptive Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They have a dodge-ball court in-house and a annual company wide dodge-ball tournament. They are very good with flex-time and unlimited vacation time. They are a growing company.

Cons

After 9 acquisitions, they are still not profitable.

"A bright star slowly falling from the sky, what once was great is on it's way to destruction."

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Shawnee, KS
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Shawnee, KS

I have been working at Perceptive Software full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Culture, food, 401k, dress code, vacation policy. Great place to start as an entry level employee. Just don't stay long.

Cons

Immature organization. Too prideful of this culture... It's fun and all, but also not the point of operating a company. Keggers and caffeine makes smart employees happy enough only to temporarily cover the contempt of how sad middle management and lack of experience is. And you better be a native English speaker from a Big 12 school... Else you will be shunned from the majority of the e employees in Shawnee.

Advice to Management

Make some of the tough decisions already. You sold the company and expect to compete in the Fortune 500 and international spaces but still want to operate like a small business that caters to Mom and Pop businesses with boiler plate solutions. The "hey I am a 25 year old wiz" thing, armed with bad templates, is not what it takes to cut it long term. The empty promises made to your larger customers may soon be the only "image" this company has. Cookie cutter simply will get you in far enough to fail. Hire some people with experience help transform the way you are doing business and grow., or at least TRY to do something different. Something beyond a tentative 3 month roadmap could help. Otherwise, all I see is a sinking ship with a pile of old ink cartridge money in the cabin, being driven by someone with no map or idea what it's like to navigate these types of waters. Hey, at least some really smart decent people got rich.

8. "Sales-focused company that has a high turnover rate."

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Ashburn, VA
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Ashburn, VA

I worked at Perceptive Software full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very professional and organized company.

Cons

The business analyst position is basically a telemarketing position.

Advice to Management

Don't fool anyone into thinking you are not trying to advertise a telemarketing position as a legit business analyst position.

9. "Good Place to work, Lexmark makes it tough"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Shawnee, KS
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Shawnee, KS

I worked at Perceptive Software as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Culture and values are one of a kind and going to work everyday was like being with family. They have (or had) a wii, dodgeball court, and gym in their corporate office in Shawnee. They were extremely competitive (but good sports) in corporate challenge.

Cons

Lexmark is sitting on their culture taking away what they did best. The HR deparment didn't develop fast enough, or wasn't able (poor leadership/management) to meet recuiting needs. Gross amount of KU fans, fairly obnoxious during basketball season. So follow KU sports because you'll be talking about it.

"Good work-life balance, very low to non-existent raises"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Shawnee, KS
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Shawnee, KS

Pros

Good work-life balance. Some managers are great and are very good mentors. These managers try their level best to maintain a good work environment and promote good work-life balance.

Cons

Some managers need more experience to be effective leaders. Middle management feels like a clique and after a while, developers feel like peons. They will give you what you ask as far as salary but raises are atrocious. I liked the company and would have not considered moving to my current job if salary was commensurate with my expectations. Good place to gain experience and move on...even promotions only allow for 5%-6% raise.

Advice to Management

Keep up the effort to maintain a good work-life balance. Need to be aware of the fact that Perceptive's compensation and so called salary scale is way below industry standard. IF I had stayed at Perceptive, it might have taken me 10 years to make what I currently do at my current workplace.