Perceptive Software Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Perceptive Software President and CEO Scott Coons
Scott Coons

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Overall, the company really strives for work-life balance while keeping a fun and relaxing environment (in 16 reviews)

• The unlimited vacation plan, while unconventional, is quite enjoyable, as well (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • I no longer know everyone by name (in 6 reviews)

"Goodbye, Perceptive. It was great while it lasted."

I worked at Perceptive Software full-time

Pros

When it existed, Perceptive Software was an exciting, growing entity with a high level of optimism and team spirit.

Cons

Perceptive Software no longer exists as a standalone company after being absorbed into Lexmark and then becoming a mere product line managed by the company's Kofax unit, which Lexmark's new owners are attempting to spin off. I recommend checking out the Kofax ratings to get a feel for what working on the Perceptive product lineup within Kofax is really like for those who do it.

2. "Great company before the Lexmarkification"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Lenexa, KS
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Lenexa, KS

I worked at Perceptive Software (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very bright but humble developers
    Honest and very competent management
    Generally good if not excellent quality code base
    Good development processes (Agile done right)

Cons

After a surge of work following the acquisition by Lexmark, steady attrition and lack of opportunities.
    Significant uncertainty about the future of the business.
    Limited or sporadic raises.

3. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Overland Park, KS
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Overland Park, KS

I worked at Perceptive Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people are very hardworking and team oriented. Company is growing quickly and likes to work hard and play hard. They have a slide in the building.

Cons

Since the buy-out things weren't the same. They let go some HR employees that were there for a long time and didn't deserve to be let go like that.

4. "Training"

I worked at Perceptive Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Best training I ever had.

Cons

Too dependent on CRM by management

5. "Great Place!"

I have been working at Perceptive Software (More than 10 years)

Pros

People are amazing. Technology created is top notch. Flexibility extremely valuable.

Cons

Change is constant, but that's just part of being in the Software industry.

6. "Good place!"

I have been working at Perceptive Software (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay, benefits, flexible schedule, low key and laid back

Cons

Think they could speed up some of the product enhancements to satisfy customers more

"Great Company If You LIve in Kansas"

I worked at Perceptive Software full-time

Pros

Excellent company with good benefits and lots of career opportunity. The products they develop are good and are well proven in the marketplace. The support of Lexmark has been instrumental in their recent growth and will continue to build the Perceptive brand..

Cons

This is a company that tends to think only KC has talent. They foster a boys club culture which can be frustrating at times.

"Bureaucracy Grande Supreme, with a side of Crispy Flextime"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lenexa, KS
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lenexa, KS

I have been working at Perceptive Software full-time

Pros

As acquisitions pile up, there's a sense of progress and possibilities for the future, even if we're not quite sure where to "put" the acquired companies in our mental map of the company's soul. Lexmark continues to support what was originally Perceptive's general flextime policy and spirit, which (at least in my group) values getting your work done (whenever and wherever that takes place) over a compliant show of sitting in a cubicle during certain hours. That's good, because our division uses many remote (home-based) employees. I have a hard time believing many other companies have this progressive of an attitude about self-motivation and face time, particularly among the Fortune 500, and for many of us it's a definite loyalty-builder.

Cons

Owner Lexmark's IBM-bred culture of hierarchy, hyper-specialization, consensus, buck-passing, meetings for everything, politeness and fear of contradicting one's "superiors" produces an almost comical level of bureaucracy, which continues to spread to the once-agile Perceptive team. The ISS (hardware) team based in Lexington are individually smart and hard-working, but collectively they can make screwing in a light bulb a two-month process. I sense that the top brass understands this, but seems powerless to do anything about it other than spouting slogans like "Be disruptive!" Unfortunately, through years of natural selection, the ISS-ites I've met appear temperamentally incapable of doing anything but obeying orders, waiting for approval and generally playing it safe.

Advice to Management

Teach your lieutenants, corporals, chiefs of staff and field marshals that it's okay to ask questions, talk back, and trust their own instincts. While it's true that leadership ultimately has to answer to shareholders, and at some point your subordinates have to get behind your goals and strategy, promote a culture that allows for airing alternate viewpoints and promotes talking through and making a case for your big initiatives--rather than allowing them to treat you like divine royalty whose word is law.

"A great environment"

Pros

Interesting products and plenty of variety here to keep your mind occupied. Lots of perks, opporunties, flexible work hours, and decent benefits

Cons

Difficult to advance into managment level positions. The older employees are less receptive to input and in general there is a "walled" environment. If you are looking to advance, look elsewhere.

10. "My experience at Perceptive was great, but could have been a bit better."

Former Intern - Salesforce.com Developer in Lenexa, KS
    Former Intern - Salesforce.com Developer in Lenexa, KS

I worked at Perceptive Software as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

I loved the laid back atmosphere that Perceptive has. They didn't mind that I didn't wear business casual every day (most people wore jeans or cargo shorts and a polo). They push to have "fun" at work, so they have a slide going from the second floor down to the cafeteria, a dodgeball court, ping pong tables, and corn hole in the office. The hours are also very flexible. If you need to work from home, then that is completely fine with them most of the time.

Cons

I was an intern, so I didn't have a whole lot of time to form too many bad opinions on the company. My biggest bone I had to pick with them is their structure. My department was going through a couple of different managerial changes during the time I was there, so that made it hard to know what to do and who to ask when I needed guidance.