Perceptive Software Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Perceptive Software President and CEO Scott Coons
Scott Coons

Pros
  • Overall, the company really strives for work-life balance while keeping a fun and relaxing environment (in 16 reviews)

• The unlimited vacation plan, while unconventional, is quite enjoyable, as well (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • I no longer know everyone by name (in 6 reviews)

"He stated that the ImageNow product is market proof in a company meeting and layed off 26 employees two months later."

Current Employee - Consultant in Shawnee, KS
    Current Employee - Consultant in Shawnee, KS

Pros

If you want to work for a company that has a simple product that has very little challenge, this is the place for you. I really can't think of any good reasons to work here, I've been bored out of my skull. Since joining in 2007 I've heard all this talk of projects in the pipeline, but have had to struggle to maintain billability. Bonuses are based on this and its completely out of your control.

Cons

I came to Perceptive after the management and company advertised the organization as a place that promotes creativity and use of personal styles. Once I came on board i discovered that none of this is true. You're expected to complete lots of worhtless presentations and demonstrate solutions that are hardly unique or amazing. There are definitely too many managers for an organization this small. All of the managers except 1 have been promoted from within and have no outside experience and only 1-2 years of management experience. The managers are very green and not very professional in nature.

This company didn't even have an expense approval process in place until this year. This was stated in a company presentation. Managers were just blowing money out the wazoo on dinners and lunches for everyone. I couldn't believe it took a company of this size this long to start reviewing their expenses more closely. They didn't even have a CFO until recently. I'm sure that these irresponsible acts in conjuntion with the economy, contributed to the layoffs this year. Everyone speculates there are more to follow.

Promotions just happen here. You aren't given notification of the opening, you have to be "chosen one"

Advice to Management

scale back on the inexperienced managers and bring in some outside talent that know how to generate revenue, promote new ideas, and communicate effectively. I would start by working this from the top down, beacuse the highest levels of management don't seem to have a clue about the true financial state of the company and how to properly forecast their needs. This is evident in the massive hiring they completed last year. Everyone knows you run lean and then hire little by little to meet your needs. Better to have ton of work rather than a ton of people and no work. Some brilliant manager felt that they should hire 100+ people for projects that weren't even solid.

None of the managers are visionaries and this company definitely lacks a vision. They need some leaders that can get this company moving forward and generating more revenue.

"Growing Pains/Hard Times"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Shawnee, KS
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Shawnee, KS

Pros

Location, some of the company perks are awesome - yoga, chair massages, karate classes, gym, drinking beer at your desk on Friday afternoon. Company does try to foster a team atmosphere with a yearly dodgeball tournament, corporate challenge, and Worlds of Fun.

Cons

Company Perks don't replace a good boss. Good bosses at PSI are few and far between. Some will denigrate you if you succeed, ask questions, suggest room for improvement. It's like they take suggestions personally.

Advice to Management

Clean house on middle management - bring in new talent or promote based on talent, not longevity or butt-kissing. Some of the upper management tier should be cleaned out as well.

"This company is a joke."

Former Employee - Project Manager in Shawnee, KS
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Shawnee, KS

Pros

It's a great place to work if you do not want to work very hard. It's a great mindless job that allows you to put your time in and go home. The work at the company is not challenging.

Cons

The company has no vision, strategy or leadership. The management team in professional services is extremely inexperienced.

Instead of having leaders in management positions, they have micromanagers. The management team lacks professionalism and the skills needed to lead a successful professional services organization.

The company is very unstable due to the poor leadership.

Advice to Management

The company does not have the right leadership, inorder to succeed the investors need to completely clean house.

"Extremely disapprove"

Former Employee - Marketing Associate in Shawnee, KS
    Former Employee - Marketing Associate in Shawnee, KS

Pros

Some perks are nice, low health insurance, low dental insurance, bagels/doughnuts on Friday.

Cons

Its a great place to work if you want to worry about whether your job will be around at the end of the week otherwise this job is not for you. Managers are only worried about themselves and not the career advancement of those underneath them. They see everyone as a threat and not as a person they enjoy working with. If a problem happens it is always someone elses fault. The handling of employees correlates with what department your in. Management goes to meetings and brings back nothing to the table. People in the know want to stay that way and choose not to share anything.

Advice to Management

Financial forecasting seems to be something that needs further review.

"Cronyism running wild at Perceptive Software"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Shawnee, KS
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Shawnee, KS

Pros

Good employee benefits, comfortable and friendly work environment. Great people as long as they aren't managers.

Cons

The management team is absolutely horrible. This is especially true of the sales management. Employees are treated like they are just pieces of garbage that can be thrown to the curb whenever the cost structure does not support the inflated number of employees they hired.

Advice to Management

Stop ruling by terror! Treat your employees with respect.

"It's like a permanent vacation!!"

Current Employee - Developer in Shawnee, KS
    Current Employee - Developer in Shawnee, KS

Pros

Free leftover food, quite a bit of it around after client visits. I liked being able to use the gym and converse with my coworkers in the open areas. Cool to hit the xbox every once and a while

Cons

Tough to get your ideas pushed through. I've had a difficult time getting my manager to follow through on items I bring forth in my PDP. I've made recommendations on areas I'd like to venture out in and my manager hasn't given me the time of day. I feel like its impossible to gain new skills. I believe that working here will pigeon hole you if you're not careful. There really aren't too many skills you could take away to other local companies if you try to leave.

Advice to Management

take personal development seriously. Don't just tell employees that we get the perks and that we need to be grateful for them. I've heard time and time again from management that we're lucky to have games, slide, segways, and free beer. Management needs to push real rewards and present real challenges

"Wanted to post the warning since a friend of mine wanted to apply there. It's a den of cronies"

Former Employee - Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Software Engineer

Pros

A paycheck and health benefits.

Cons

They made a lot of promises they never fulfilled, and the job environment ended up not being as advertised. If you are talented or experienced, you will not be promoted or listened to which hurts them competitively tremendously. Number one qualification: non-threatening to the cronies. They have a layer of people that have been there for years that will do anything to maintain their alpha-dog status. Upper management has no political will to get rid of or discipline the old buddy they drink with. By policy, they do not hire anyone significant or empowered from the outside. Their attempt to implement Agile development is a scripted side-show, because they are truly not open to collaboration or competition or questioning of crony ideas. As far as checking that box in the survey on whether they share information or can be trusted I checked NO.

Advice to Management

As hard as it will be, gut your development management, starting from the top. Get beyond the fact these guys drink with you, golf with you and are your special buddy.

"Management is really bad"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Shawnee, KS
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Shawnee, KS

Pros

party house - lots of parties and drinks
    work from home when needed
    flexible work hours
    free pop
    free bagels and donuts on Friday

Cons

Being good at politics is very important here. You get promoted not by your talent, but by who is your buddy, friend. You get kicked out if you are not one of them. Management team are really close to each other so that they can screw up anyone they want. If you are social and can talk you will be successful. If you can only do things even you have great talent you are screwed.

Advice to Management

The executive team should be alert about management team. Good management team should not use politics to manage team. Instead they should keep equal distance with everyone.

"Wasted 6 years of my life"

Former Employee - Manager in Shawnee, KS
    Former Employee - Manager in Shawnee, KS

Pros

Great product, some very good people and plenty of work to do. Creativity and IQs run very high at PSI.

Cons

If you aren't in the 'favorites' group you are going nowhere. They aren't looking for people who tell them how it really is. They want "yes men". If you are a ladder climbing, backstabbing, finger pointing, guru of nothing but self promotion this is the place for you.

Advice to Management

Take a good, hard look at the quality of people who have walked away in the last two years. They left because they didn't fit the culture of arrogance and hubris. They were people who cared about others and Imagenow. Not everyone lobby's vocally for the promotion; some people actually work for it. Recognize them.

"Perceptive Software sales and marketing organizations are very poorly run"

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Perceptive Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Not many unless you like hanging around work at 4pm on a Friday once every couple of months for a "Pour-by-4" . . .just what I always wanted . . . spend more time with my work mates at the start of a weekend.

Cons

Sales management in particular is very unprofessional and inexperienced. They tend to hire young, cheap labor from Kansas City area and push them until they burn out and leave. 2 year tenure is considered a veteran. Pay (commission) plan is so convoluted and confusing that they had to create a special calculator spreadsheet to estimate what they have another system already setup to calculate. . . and once you figure out the net commission rate you will want to cry.

Advice to Management

Stop buying unrelated, disparate companies and then expect your sales staff to sell their products and services after a 10 or 15 minute power point presentation on the product that you pass off as "sales training".