Perera Construction Reviews | Glassdoor

1. "Controller"

Current Employee - Controller in Ontario, CA
    Current Employee - Controller in Ontario, CA

I have been working at Perera Construction full-time

Pros

At Perera Construction, an employee-owned company, you have the opportunity to experience more than a job or a career but a calling. As a member of senior management we believe in empowering our employees, we believe in selecting self-motivated candidates, we believe in employee ownership and outreach to our community and we believe in having personal pride in the name brand of Perera Construction and having a Remarkable reputation in the construction industry.

Cons

I have no negative comments

2. "I would think twice"

Former Employee - Not Say in Ontario, CA
    Former Employee - Not Say in Ontario, CA

I worked at Perera Construction full-time

Pros

I can't think of anything that the company has to offer. They are very laid back, they do offer medical, vision, & Aflac. This is a ESOP company as well.

Cons

Even thou the company offers the benefit above you are paying a big chunk out of pocket... makes this really hard to juggle .

Advice to Management

Management Needs a lot of work! No structure! Benefits are horrible. Broken promises no advancement...

"Good Employee Owned Company"

Current Employee - Project Superintendent in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Project Superintendent in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Perera does interesting projects and has prestigious long-term clients. We are an ESOP company, so all employees get stock in the company every year. This means everyone pulls together to get things done. It also means that people who don't pull their weight or expect to get by without producing results don't last.

Cons

As with all construction projects there can be difficulty working with architects and owners to get projects completed. Management is generally good about helping get solutions and supporting people in the field who take pride in their work.

Advice to Management

Keep up the quality of the management team. Changes made in the last two years have made us a lot more professional and productive.

"Great Company"

Current Intern - Business Development in Ontario, CA
    Current Intern - Business Development in Ontario, CA

I have been working at Perera Construction as an intern (More than 5 years)

Pros

As an ESOP Corporation, Perera Construction encourages the professional development and improvement of each other for the good of the company. They have accomplished this by sending employees to school, paying for employee certifications (LEED GA, LEED AP, SWPPP, OSHA 500, etc.) and by creating a family-like environment that takes care and helps each other. I myself started as a part-time employee coming straight out of college 6 years ago. Under the guidance of the company leadership, I have now grown to be a full time, experienced, marketing professional and have learned a lot about the construction industry.

Cons

None at this time as Perera has taken care of me and my family.

5. "Stay away"

Former Employee - Office Personnel in Ontario, CA
    Former Employee - Office Personnel in Ontario, CA

Pros

Useful Up to date technology

Cons

Terrible company. Lots of potential, but lack of direction by management. Unwilling to pay subcontractors or take responsibility for mistakes.

6. "Guaranteed growth if you work for it"

Current Employee - Project Engineer
    Current Employee - Project Engineer

I have been working at Perera Construction full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Being new to the industry, Perera took a risk and gave me an opportunity to prove myself and I am glad it worked out. There is a family oriented culture at the company with the majority of the senior management being more than willing to mentor and teach, which I am very appreciative of in my position.

Cons

Although there is an opportunity for growth, one must REALLY earn it. I find myself working from home during after hours in order to stay caught up with projects and at times to get ahead.

Advice to Management

Certain departments need assistance from being overworked at times and mentoring is limited to the people in your immediate project due to everybody being booked from their workload. Driving to job sites in highly trafficked areas can get exhausting at times (1.5 hours-3 hours of commute)

7. "Employer Review"

Current Employee - PMa
    Current Employee - PMa

I have been working at Perera Construction full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Perera Construction is a great place to work. The employees here really care about the work and take pride in ownership. That includes all internal operations as well as in the field. All strive for excellence. The potential for growth is immense as training and further education are not only pushed but rewarded. The benefits are great including dental, 401k, medical, and PTO not to mention ownership via shares in the company. The Perera culture pursues excellence and does not settle for average. Respect is evident between all employees from management to laborer. I am happy to wake every day knowing I get to work with such a great group of people.

Cons

The lighting in the office could be better. Communication between PM Dept & Accounting has more room for improvement, but it has improved since i have been here.

Advice to Management

Keep moving forward with what you are doing. The environment in which we are able to work is easy and copasetic. The expectation is there that all employees will get their work done with little supervision and I love that. The teams work well together due to your leadership.

"Solid Place to Grow and Learn"

Pros

Hank Perera invests in his employees and gives them opportunities to move up. I was quickly promoted from a Project Engineer to a Project Manager.

Cons

If you are looking to work for a large corporation Perera might not be for you. Perera has an intimate culture that might not work for some people that are looking to hide.

9. "Fair Warning"

Pros

They take on a wide variety of projects

Cons

Very little room for growth for women, unclear expectations, and they avoid paying subcontractors.

10. "Be Wary when Interviewing - High Turnover Rate, Over Promise, Under Deliver"

Former Employee - Supervision
    Former Employee - Supervision

I worked at Perera Construction full-time

Pros

Small size company. Fairly easy to get to know everyone within the company.

Cons

High turnover rate, low value for employees, benefits lacking. Upper management lacks accountability and ethics.