Perfect Sense Reviews | Glassdoor

Perfect Sense CEO and Co-Founder David Gang
David Gang

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. Featured Review

"Best Company I've Worked For!"

I have been working at Perfect Sense full-time (More than a year)

Pros

To start off, the people are great. Everyone is friendly, works hard, and willing to help out when needed. They are passionate and proud of the product (Brightspot) and the work they do. The product itself is unlike any other in the market, and the company has an impressive client list (J&J, Politico, Univision, Coca-Cola, etc.) because of it.

The best part about the company, in my opinion, is the emphasis on giving back. I haven't found another company that focuses on mission work like this one does. There are so many opportunities for employees to participate in events with Special Olympics, the YMCA, Troops First, etc. For example, the company flew employees to Puerto Rico to assist in relief efforts in December and is sending a few employees at the end of this month to Aspen to participate in a Special Olympics snowboarding event.

Between the clients, the people, and the mission work, it's motivating and exciting to know that your work every day is contributing to a company that is making an impact in many different ways.

Cons

There are quick deadlines and fast-paced projects that require working extra some weeks, but this comes with many project-based companies.

The company is experiencing some growing pains and there needs to be more structure and better internal resources for employees, but they are working on improving this.

2. "Not Bad"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA

I have been working at Perfect Sense full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Plenty of free food and coffee

Cons

No issues as of yet

"Software Engineer"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Reston, VA

I worked at Perfect Sense full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company is ran very well. The CEO and leadership are great. Most technical people are very knowledgable.

Cons

Sometimes projects or hours could be long.

"Excellent Company"

I have been working at Perfect Sense full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Perfect Sense is a great company to work for. The pay is excellent, the technology is cutting edge, and I feel like I'm doing real work for real people. I've only been an employed at PS for a few months, but I've already gotten to see a website launch where I personally fixed a bug on the homepage.

Every single employee is nice to work with. The atmosphere is more comforting than I ever could have imagined, and I enjoy spending 40 hours a week here.

There are many benefits, such as a gym membership and a daily catered lunch. To say I'm taken care of is an understatement.

Cons

The tech you use is mostly proprietary, written by a few of the head coders. I have a million questions every day, but I know I can't ask all of them. Documentation does exist, but it still feels sparse and incomplete. It reads more like a guided tutorial than a large dump of information you can ctrl-f through, which is what you want from software documentation. It's frustrating to want to code at the speed I'm used to, but to have the complexity of the system hold me back. I've been an employee for a few months, and I still don't feel like I can move at top speed. This might not be atypical for a software company, but it's my current experience.

Advice to Management

More training on how to use some of the benefits provided to us as employees. Explanations of 401k,

"Makes Perfect Sense"

I have been working at Perfect Sense full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Great Pay
    - I actually like the location
    - Great Benefits: Free lunch each day, gym membership, dev resources
    - Really smart and friendly folks

Cons

- Knowledge Silos -> there are a couple of people who are incredibly knowledgeable and I felt uncomfortable in the beginning when I had questions about nearly everything. It's improved as I've met people and felt more comfortable asking questions. Documentation would probably help more than anything.

"Dysfunctional and mean-spirited management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA

I worked at Perfect Sense full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Startup atmosphere with all the perks (free lunches, snacks, coffee bar, ping pong, gym membership).

There are a few good apples to align with, but they keep their heads down in work.

Software and product seems to be more stable than sales and marketing teams—witnessed a lot of turnover in many depts though.

Cons

High-anxiety management, without a cohesive vision, which perpetuated an overall fearful of management and speaking up atmosphere. Lots of tail in between legs here.

Mean, intimidation tactics and bullying from CEO, co-founder, and VP-level individuals. There is a total fear vibe, not autonomy when it comes to creativity that you get at normal functioning startups. No one will stand up for themselves in this type of atmosphere.

Advice to Management

Burn some sage and hire influential people with emotional intelligence.

Aug 11, 2017 – CEO

This review doesn't begin to sound like our company. I am very sorry your experience at Perfect Sense lead you to write this review. The company is not a start up, it is well funded with solid... More

"Pretty building and impressive clients for such a poorly run company"

I worked at Perfect Sense full-time

Pros

Work environment and amenities "looks nice"

Cons

Management cares more about their friends and family than about employee happiness. This is shockingly evident by the turnover and lack of confidence in David Gang

Advice to Management

Management needs to focus on fostering an environment that appreciates it's employees who aren't related to David Gang. Work load is atrocious and willingness to spend money and effort on important aspects is too.

Apr 8, 2017 – CEO

Perfect Sense continues to grow and add co-workers in many areas. The recent investment in the company is being used to add support for platform development, project leadership, add additional... More

"Great first job"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Reston, VA

I have been working at Perfect Sense full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Challenging work environment, great people

Cons

Flat organization can make promotions/pay increases difficult

Mar 10, 2017 – CEO

In 2017 we have created many more opportunities for growth with our shared product teams and focus on individual expertise in the many parts of our client projects and platforms. We have moved from... More

"Garbage"

I worked at Perfect Sense full-time

Pros

Paychecks were nice to have

Cons

management, culture, employees, operations, procedures

Advice to Management

Be honest

"Product Manager"

Pros

Great atmosphere, amazing people, management was helpful and the office culture was extremely collaborative. Younger employees are given high responsibility from the start, management trusts its employees. Quality benefits package

Cons

The location wasn't the best

Mar 10, 2017 – CEO

Our location is in the middle of a multi-year construction project to bring the DC metro to our door and many more places to eat and shop. There are also additional apartment buildings being built... More