Perfect Sense Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Perfect Sense CEO and Co-Founder David Gang
David Gang

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great Benefits: Free lunch each day, gym membership, dev resources" (in 6 reviews)

• "Team members collaborate and are willing to help each other out" (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • "Project timelines are sometimes compressed due to the fast-paced environment" (in 3 reviews)

• "The VP of marketing left in the summer of 2017 due to poor treatment by senior leadership, and a CMO was brought in months later" (in 2 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Best Company I've Worked For!"

I have been working at Perfect Sense full-time (More than a year)

Pros

To start off, the people are great. Everyone is friendly, works hard, and willing to help out when needed. They are passionate and proud of the product (Brightspot) and the work they do. The product itself is unlike any other in the market, and the company has an impressive client list (J&J, Politico, Univision, Coca-Cola, etc.) because of it.

The best part about the company, in my opinion, is the emphasis on giving back. I haven't found another company that focuses on mission work like this one does. There are so many opportunities for employees to participate in events with Special Olympics, the YMCA, Troops First, etc. For example, the company flew employees to Puerto Rico to assist in relief efforts in December and is sending a few employees at the end of this month to Aspen to participate in a Special Olympics snowboarding event.

Between the clients, the people, and the mission work, it's motivating and exciting to know that your work every day is contributing to a company that is making an impact in many different ways.

Cons

There are quick deadlines and fast-paced projects that require working extra some weeks, but this comes with many project-based companies.

The company is experiencing some growing pains and there needs to be more structure and better internal resources for employees, but they are working on improving this.

2. "Internship"

Former Employee - Software Developer in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Reston, VA

I worked at Perfect Sense (Less than a year)

Pros

Full project integration, services& platform positions.

Cons

big projects sometimes suck in the whole company

3. "A company designed for people to love working there"

Current Employee - Marketing in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Reston, VA

I have been working at Perfect Sense full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There is a lot to like about working for Perfect Sense. In fact, when I was interviewing for my role I didn't believe much of what they said because so few companies outside of Silicon Valley offered the perks Perfect Sense claimed.

Free catered lunch every day? Yes!
    Coffee bar? Sure is.
    A generous 401K package/match? Indeed.
    Great compensation packages? Yup.

All these aspects of the company are very nice benefits, but they don't really describe the soul of the place. The company was founded to provide people stimulating work, a challenging yet comfortable environment and work life balance.

I have an anecdote that epitomizes this attitude. When working on a strategy, I was
    told to pull back on overly ambitious agenda. Why? Because management wants people to love what they do, not get burned out. In my career, I've never been told this by a CEO, until Perfect Sense. Add this to an amazing and expanding customer base (Walmart, Amazon, Johnson and Johnson to name a few), a great office space and super smart co-workers and it equals a great place to work.

Cons

Perfect Sense is closed between Christmas and New Years, which makes spending time with family easy without the stress of what you're missing at work. However, that results in just two weeks of PTO for the rest of the year. It's not completely out of line with the industry, but is a bit light. I've never found this to be an issue however, but it is something worth pointing out for those that may be getting accustomed to "unlimited" vacation day perks being offered by others.

Advice to Management

I've been impressed that everything I heard about the company, management and the staff have proven to be true. Just keep doing what you're doing!

"Toxic Work Environment for Sales and Marketing"

I worked at Perfect Sense full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working at Perfect Sense offered a few "pros," but please read the "cons" section before pursuing employment here:

- Perfect Sense hires really wonderful, smart and kind people
    - Perfect Sense maintains a focus on philanthropic work and there are many ways for employees to participate in volunteer activities
    - Perfect Sense provides free lunch every day to employees
    - Perfect Sense pays for employee gym memberships at Lifetime Fitness in Reston

Cons

Overall, I would consider my experience in sales and marketing at Perfect Sense to be poor and very strange. It's tough to put into words why I would avoid working at Perfect Sense, but here are the highlights:

Culturally, I would describe the company as exclusive. There is a core group of employees that are shown favoritism by the executive team. Most people in leadership positions have been mistreated or berated by the CEO. There was also a very weird disdain for sales and marketing. There is no HR department, which means any issues that arise among employees (e.g. poor treatment by leadership) are not handled professionally, if at all.

For sales employees, incentive plans were historically vague, changed frequently, and were managed in a way that made success unattainable. For the senior sales executives I worked with, deals were taken away by the executive team and the sales executives were not paid for their work.

For marketing employees, there was a general lack of understanding of marketing and a resistance to doing any true marketing, which made building out and executing on strategic marketing campaigns nearly impossible. The career paths within both sales and marketing were unclear, and no one in the company or the department advocated for employees within sales and marketing.

The VP of marketing left in the summer of 2017 due to poor treatment by senior leadership, and a CMO was brought in months later. The CMO and other senior leadership members consistently treated employees with disrespect.

This was the most toxic and chaotic work environment I have ever worked in, especially for sales and marketing professionals.

Advice to Management

I would provide advice here, but from my experience, any advice offered will not be considered and the culture will stay the same.

Jun 18, 2018 – CEO

Perfect Sense is 10 years old, The senior staff consists of two co-founders, one leader who has been here 9 years, 2 that have been here over 8 years, 1 with 3, 1 with 2 and the CMO who has five... More

"Where sales careers go to die!"

Former Employee - Sales Director in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Sales Director in Reston, VA

I worked at Perfect Sense full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The community service performed by such a small company is impressive. There is free lunch & coffee which are nice.

Cons

Lack of sales focused culture, high turnover in sales & marketing, zero sales enablement, unclear goals, mean spirited top management, complete lack of transparency & complete lack of understanding how to build an effective sales team and pipeline.

Advice to Management

Treat everyone with the respect they deserve. Be clear and honest with your sales expectations and the level of professional you hire.

Apr 2, 2018 – CEO

We just had a record quarter (second in a row) and are on track to grow by over 30% this year. There has been significant turnover on the sales and marketing side of the company, it is an area... More

"The negative reviews here are right on the money"

I have been working at Perfect Sense full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent pay and benefits. Some good ideas at the core of the product.

Cons

No work-life balance, I mean 0. You are expected to work nights and weekends and there is no interest in any sort of learning from past mistakes, which means no hope of that changing.

Blame-driven 'culture'.

No leadership, only management. Scratch that, micro-management (by the CEO) of the tiniest details.

Extremely hostile atmosphere to any external ideas. Industry best practices are dismissed as "we do things differently here".

Overall, the positive reviews you see here are almost 100% from kids who are straight out of college and do not know any different. If you have worked in a company where employees are truly empowered to thrive, a place that is focused on continuous learning and improvement, look elsewhere as you will be miserable here.

Advice to Management

No need to give management any advice as they are next to impotent to make anything happen. Ultimately, to see this place truly change and grow, the CEO would need to step down and let someone else who truly cares about company culture take over.

Feb 25, 2018 – CEO

The company culture is based on providing value to society, employees and clients. In 2017 alone, we provided services for 1400 people who are less fortunate than our employees. It is extremely... More

7. "Not Bad"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA

I have been working at Perfect Sense full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Plenty of free food and coffee

Cons

No issues as of yet

"Software Engineer"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Reston, VA

I worked at Perfect Sense full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company is ran very well. The CEO and leadership are great. Most technical people are very knowledgable.

Cons

Sometimes projects or hours could be long.

"Excellent Company"

I have been working at Perfect Sense full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Perfect Sense is a great company to work for. The pay is excellent, the technology is cutting edge, and I feel like I'm doing real work for real people. I've only been an employed at PS for a few months, but I've already gotten to see a website launch where I personally fixed a bug on the homepage.

Every single employee is nice to work with. The atmosphere is more comforting than I ever could have imagined, and I enjoy spending 40 hours a week here.

There are many benefits, such as a gym membership and a daily catered lunch. To say I'm taken care of is an understatement.

Cons

The tech you use is mostly proprietary, written by a few of the head coders. I have a million questions every day, but I know I can't ask all of them. Documentation does exist, but it still feels sparse and incomplete. It reads more like a guided tutorial than a large dump of information you can ctrl-f through, which is what you want from software documentation. It's frustrating to want to code at the speed I'm used to, but to have the complexity of the system hold me back. I've been an employee for a few months, and I still don't feel like I can move at top speed. This might not be atypical for a software company, but it's my current experience.

Advice to Management

More training on how to use some of the benefits provided to us as employees. Explanations of 401k,

"Makes Perfect Sense"

I have been working at Perfect Sense full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Great Pay
    - I actually like the location
    - Great Benefits: Free lunch each day, gym membership, dev resources
    - Really smart and friendly folks

Cons

- Knowledge Silos -> there are a couple of people who are incredibly knowledgeable and I felt uncomfortable in the beginning when I had questions about nearly everything. It's improved as I've met people and felt more comfortable asking questions. Documentation would probably help more than anything.