Perfect World Entertainment Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
Perfect World Entertainment CEO Bryan Huang
Bryan Huang

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "An excellent experience learning about the free-to-play online gaming industry as a publisher" (in 7 reviews)

• "Work/life balance is good - very rarely did I ever have to touch work on weekends or outside of normal hours" (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • "Upper management doesn't always take into account the worker bee's who actually get the work done when making decisions" (in 8 reviews)

• "Up to 50 people have been let go at once in the past" (in 5 reviews)

1. "Nice Company"

Pros

Great company with good vibe.

Cons

there are sometimes overtime work.

2. "Good place to start, not to grow"

I worked at Perfect World Entertainment full-time

Pros

Great coworkers
    Great benefits
    Chill work place

Cons

Management needs to find a proper direction and stick to it. Consistent shifts in direction causes the company to force changes that can be harmful to employees, and still not benefit the company

"Good benefits/meh salary/nah- professionalism"

Pros

I worked in the film/division. Big company with a stead cash flow and decent industry reputation. Employees’ benefits are good.

Cons

1. Chaos management. Poor between-division coordination. Colleagues are out to get each other. Main leaders are NOT experienced in the TV industry. You work under them rather than learn from them. They suck your creativity and are ungrateful. 2. Salary structure is not transparent at all and varies HUGEly on the team leader/producer you worked for. End of year bonus also depends on the whims of the leader.

Advice to Management

Clean up the house. Establish bonus/salary rules and incentives. Don’t make us buy your stocks, thx.

4. "Good for beginners, bad for advancement"

Former Employee - Quality Assurance Lead in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Quality Assurance Lead in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Perfect World Entertainment full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The team I worked with was great, and the camaraderie is one of the main reasons for going in everyday.
    Their publishing process is well developed, and they have a generally good environment for people trying to break into the games industry for the first time.
    When I first started working there, plenty of people were willing to help show me the ropes.

Cons

The company as a whole is very "cliquey", i.e. people self-sort based on department and do not have many positive interactions with other departments.
    A lot of the process is dependent on outside actors, and while the subsidiary game development studios can be difficult to work with a times, the biggest problem is how much our process was at the mercy of the HQ in China.
    The workforce is bloated and then gutted by mass layoffs on a recurring basis, and those that remain will undoubtedly be forced to undertake more work.
    In the department I joined (Quality Assurance), we were often forced to undertake responsibilities that should have been the work of other departments. Even within our department, the best among us were always being asked to take on more responsibility without promotions or raises of any kind.
    When you find a spot within the company, it is rare to find genuine advancement available. While not applicable in every scenario, the overwhelming trend of who got promoted and moved into different departments was determined by who was willing to suck-up to management.

Advice to Management

My manager was one of the most senior members of the company, and it certainly showed. In retrospect, his role was more akin to a "management liaison to the department" than working specifically on our behalf. Less "Fighting for your employees" and more "trying to put a positive spin on the effects of managerial decisions upon employees". I saw people of questionable ability and integrity be promoted multiple times based on their bootlicking and buck-passing, while people of genuine quality be given the cold-shoulder for trying to fight for a better process.

"You'll probably get laid off before you get a raise"

I worked at Perfect World Entertainment full-time (More than a year)

Pros

• The people - it truly does feel like a family when you walk into work everyday. Everyone seems to get along really well, and I don't recall ever having a negative impression of anyone.

• Benefits are really good - medical, dental, vision, 401k, the works basically.

• Lots of amenities - free daily lunch, free snacks, free coffee/tea, health workshops, financial advice workshops, gaming areas, etc.

• Plenty of team bonding events - movie nights, game tournaments, happy hours, team dinners, and an allocated budget to do anything else you want with your team.

• Work/life balance is good - very rarely did I ever have to touch work on weekends or outside of normal hours.

• You can ship your mail to the office.

• An excellent experience learning about the free-to-play online gaming industry as a publisher.

Cons

• Lay offs are frequent - and no one is truly safe from it. Up to 50 people have been let go at once in the past. And whoever survives the lay off has to pick up the slack and take on all of the responsibilities that are left behind.

• Pay is significantly below market rate - it's below average even for the gaming industry.

• Career growth is very limited - it depends mostly on the success of their new releases, which haven't been great lately.

• The China team at their HQ - they can be very rigid, difficult to communicate with, and their decisions can be questionable.

• Upper management can be passive at times.

Advice to Management

Stop laying off good employees and actually pay them. Even though most of the benefits, fun events, and amenities are nice, at the end of the day it's a good salary that attracts high quality talent and keeps them for the long run.

PWE's success seems to have plateaued due to high quality employees constantly going through a revolving door. This lack of consistency and stability has developed a trend of PWE constantly starting from scratch with new faces, or burdening their current employees by forcing additional responsibilities on them.

When you constantly stretch everyone's bandwidth as thinly as possible, a decline in overall quality is inevitable. And you quickly diminish your chances of success when taking on new projects.

"AP"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Perfect World Entertainment full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

None None None None

Cons

revolving door of unqualified candidates

"Normal place, not very exciting"

I worked at Perfect World Entertainment full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Casual atmosphere and not very uptight

Cons

A bit boring
    Friends bringing in friends at the top

8. "Fun job"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Perfect World Entertainment full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good culture, lots of projects, fast pace, freedom to innovate and change things, constant improvements, fun workplace, good work-life balance. Passionate people who share the same goals.

Cons

Input from China sometimes questionable and often delayed

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work done in the past year, communicate openly with the team and share company vision.

9. "Challenge and fun"

I have been working at Perfect World Entertainment full-time

Pros

Lots of challenge improve your skill set
    Good benefits include free lunch

Cons

Short on head count. You need to do one or more things.

10. "Financial Systems Analyst"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Perfect World Entertainment full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good community and a lot of company culture events

Cons

short on human resource but work together to solve problems