Performance Bicycle Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated July 15, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • The upper management is quite petty (in 17 reviews)

• There are no benefits unless you are able to get one of the few full time positions (in 13 reviews)

1. "Sales Associate"

I worked at Performance Bicycle part-time

Pros

Fun crew, customers, and location.

Cons

Not the greatest available hours

Advice to Management

Store ran smooth due to solid management who had clear well driven sales goals.

2. "Performance"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Boulder, CO
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Boulder, CO

I have been working at Performance Bicycle full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good culture and work life balance.

Cons

Large company means it takes a long time to execute changes.

"Good entry level bike shop job"

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Performance Bicycle (Less than a year)

Pros

Good place to get experience working at a shop that sells bicycles. Coworkers are generally nice

Cons

For a bike shop, many of the employees did not own or work on their own bicycles. Pay was slightly below standard.

"Pay is sub standard"

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Performance Bicycle part-time

Pros

Sometimes you get pretty good deals as an employee on newer and popular stuff (If you can't find a good deal online)

Cons

In store prices are better than employee discounts unless you want the latest & greatest. However, the pay is so low that you cannot afford to take advantage of the discounted prices as well.

Advice to Management

I understand the perks of working at the company are pretty nice but they are only for serious enthusiasts who purchase a lot of gear. I feel paying decent amount to employees would encourage purchasing habit which can help with product marketing for free done by your employees. We are looked at as pricey version of Walmart for bicycles..I turned from a long term customer to employee, the company is great for customers but puts a lot of pressure on employees...

"Retail Job selling Economical Bicycles"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Oxnard, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Oxnard, CA

I worked at Performance Bicycle part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great discounts, cool customers, national (can transfer), learned lots of things about bikes and business.

Cons

Environmentally unfriendly sales tag events (so much trash!), low wages, power hungry mid-level corporate goons, etc.. Computer programs are not efficient, products can be flimsy, etc....

Advice to Management

Remind yourselves what it is like to work at a local bike shop! Address them appropriately and learn to work with the market, not in hopes it will follow you.

6. "Service"

Pros

Reliable, flexible, and an interesting place to work.

Cons

Not always super busy, or a lot to do.

"Great people, not so great pay."

Pros

Very good employee discounts. Industry discounts, too! Learned a lot about bikes. Often times working felt like I was just hanging out with friends and/or making new friends who also like bikes.

Cons

Pay is not good. No commission. Company wanted sales associate to take a very aggressive approach toward customers (not my style, I just like to help people), and didn't offer ANY incentive in doing so. The company was also really inefficient and out-of-date technology wise. I always felt like they were nickle and diming every which way (esp with employees).

Advice to Management

I heard that Performance has been bought out. But paying your associates a little more (with base pay or bonuses/commission) would be nice. I know bike shops tend to have higher turnover rates, but that may not happen with liveable wages.

8. "Okay job if you love bikes"

Former Employee - Bike Assembler
    Former Employee - Bike Assembler

I worked at Performance Bicycle part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The major pro of this company is the discount

Cons

Upper management wasn't super kind to employment

Advice to Management

Take better care of your employees

"Wait until restructed"

Former Employee - Sales Manager
    Former Employee - Sales Manager

I worked at Performance Bicycle full-time

Pros

Reports downsized employees as "quit" to avoid paying unemployment. Uses "green" "eco-sensitive" logic to draw in business for the sake of profiteering. Deliberately under-staffs location which does not allow an employee to clock out for the required meal brake. The store manager will remove 30 minutes per day from your time card because you did not take your required break, even though there was no person available to cover your position for your break, unethical.

Cons

Suitable employment for pocket change seeker. Company cannot adapt to changing business environment. Recommend not joining the organization if the DM or Store Manager has been there prior to 2017, they are not able to adapt and you will not get the return that your talents can bring.

Advice to Management

This information is based upon personal experience from a "top five" Mid-West location. The company was bought out privately in August of 2016, gutting is taking place. Performance Bicycle has chosen not to adapt to changing business needs and is not suitable for stable employment until all of the old guard has been replaced. Communication between business departments does not flow and is virtually non-existent. Policies and procedures are randomly scattered and not observed. It is not uncommon to find a "knee-jerk" quick fix buried in the middle of an email randomly sent out. Training is not defined, expectations are not defined, you will be held accountable for things that were never assigned. This company is married to number crunching metrics only and not to actual business needs analysis. A day begins with a DM phone message going over percentages of traffic conversion for the previous day for every single store in the district with a ending message of "you need to make more sales, you are down from last year." The reason sales are down from the previous year is because of the sales model shifting to direct sales online, the DM cannot process this. The location this review is based upon averaged $2k-$6k in outright returns each week. Customers are allowed to bring back bicycles, accessories, and clothing after they have been heavily used and get full refunds. The returned product either has to be rebuilt with new parts or discarded. This policy is bleeds profits, but the sales staff is held accountable for the losses. The company expects the staff to sell extended service warranties to make up the difference. These warranties retail from $79 to $159 and are required to be sold on even $119 child starter bikes. Unable to sell bicycles in the store, the company has also entered into an online agreement to build the bicycles for their competitors who are taking away the business. An example of flawed logic at Performance. On Wednesday night, sales numbers for each location are observed. If the number is down from the previous year (which it is), employee hours are required to be cut for the remainder of the week. This leaves the location with usually two people on Friday night, and three sales people on the weekends, the heaviest traffic and sales time of the week, customers walk out in frustration because they cannot be waited on. Think about this and let it sink in, there is no logic. Ultimately leadership trickles down from the top, the current guard is suited for the 1982 time-frame when it flourished. Wait for the replacement of leadership before you join up.

"Corporate BS"

Current Employee - Operations Manager
    Current Employee - Operations Manager

I have been working at Performance Bicycle full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Deep pockets (the depth of which has got them into a hole that surprised the new CEO), better job security than local bike shops, many locations means good opportunities (maybe). Generous employee discounts and pro deals with other companies outside of the stale, boring (often ugly) proprietary brands.

Cons

Thanks for the recent round of salary cuts, demotions, and layoffs! Employee morale is at at its lowest I've seen in the many years I've been with the company. But hey, you had to pay for the new store in Nevada somehow!

Advice to Management

With the recent merger, Performance just became the Walmart of bike shops. Stop using customer service scores as a weapon. Treat us like you care about our well-being and some of us might work better.