PerkinElmer Reviews | Glassdoor

PerkinElmer Reviews

Updated April 26, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
Cons
  • Upper management need to have 360 reviews done (in 18 reviews)

• Upper management does not understand R&D (in 11 reviews)

1. "Thoughts after being here for a bit"

Current Employee - Director in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Director in Waltham, MA

I have been working at PerkinElmer full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Senior Management is committed to employee development. Competitive health care benefits including no increase in employee contributions in two years. Very generous 401K match.

Cons

PE is a fairly large company with diverse product lines. Sometimes corporate wide systems don't accommodate more specialty groups and require pushback

Mar 14, 2017 – Sr Dir Global TA

Thank you for your feedback, some internal system are a bit dated and need to be refreshed. We are working to prioritize these and will be making updates in 2017 and 2018.

"Downsizing"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at PerkinElmer full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Some really talented co-workers at this location and the end product (medical X-Ray device) is used to help save lives.

Cons

Call it the incredible shrinking business. It was really great to go to work every day and bring the fab up to speed and increase the yields but management wanted to increase profits and started laying off some really good talent and kept the bad managers in place ruining the culture for the worker bees.

Advice to Management

Get a people person to run the place using incentives that are achievable instead of instilling a fear of more and more lay offs.

Apr 24, 2017 – Sr Life Science Recruiter

Thank you for your loyalty over the past 8 years. We wish you the very best at your next opportunity.

3. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Full Stack Developer in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Full Stack Developer in Boston, MA

I worked at PerkinElmer (Less than a year)

Pros

work-life balance
    decent benefits
    good work culture
    good higher management
    good HR management

Cons

might not be a best choice for core developers aiming at programming career

Advice to Management

Management choose interns after a rigorous interview process. All this goes waste when such interns are not retained by the company. Don't lose the worthy candidates

Apr 19, 2017 – Sr Life Science Recruiter

Thank you for your feedback! We are glad you had a good experience at PKI. We are currently looking into a more robust intern program.

5. "Decent, nothing fancy"

Current Employee - Process Development Chemist in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Process Development Chemist in Boston, MA

I have been working at PerkinElmer full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

flexible schedule, relaxed atmosphere, low stress

Cons

low pay, low perks, work is not evenly balanced between people or labs

Apr 19, 2017 – Sr Life Science Recruiter

Thank you for your feedback! We encourage you to speak to your manager or local HR support about your concerns. If you are unsure of who your HR contact is, please reach out to ... More

6. "Good company to work for"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Princeton, NJ
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Princeton, NJ

I worked at PerkinElmer (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good people, good benefits, interesting work

Cons

Wish they worked more to keep employees

Advice to Management

Keep your employees

Apr 19, 2017 – Sr Life Science Recruiter

Thank you for your feedback. We are glad you have been enjoying your time at PKI. We are continuously developing new talent management strategies, as keeping our great employees is always our goal.

"Great company that encourages employee development"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA

I have been working at PerkinElmer full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Leadership team that cares about employee's engagement and career growth. A strong mission that inspires all of us to perform at our best every single day. Work alongside passionate, smart and dedicated employees. Love that I get a paid day off each year to participate in a community day to give back outside of work!

Cons

You are given a lot of autonomy to create, and there is so much opportunity, you can't always address all areas that you would like

Advice to Management

Continue the focus to innovate - and encourage and reward your employees

Apr 19, 2017 – Sr Life Science Recruiter

Thank you for your feedback! Our Impact Day is great way to give back to our community and glad you enjoy participating.

"Analyst"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Shelton, CT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Shelton, CT

Pros

Some great people who work there. As a global company, you get to work with people from all cultures and countries.

Cons

Slow moving and difficult to change. Poor decisions of the past make changes very difficult to implement. Even though these senIor managers are gone, the effect of those decisions cannot be overcome without adequate resources being allocated.

Advice to Management

While innovation is promoted in corporate talks and presentations, managers do not take input if it is not their own ideas.

Apr 24, 2017 – Sr Life Science Recruiter

We encourage open and honest dialogues within teams but at times this can be difficult. We are formalizing a review process that will help facilitate healthy dialogues throughout the organization.

"Two years I'll never get back"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA

I worked at PerkinElmer full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The check is direct deposited into your back account every two weeks. There is a parking garage.

Cons

The only way you should take a job at this company is if both of these rules apply: 1. You currently do not have a job - AND - 2. You have completely depleted any financial reserves that could've otherwise carried you over to finding another job that is NOT at PerkinElmer. Securing another job and leaving was the best thing that ever happened to me in my working career.

Outdated software - You'll be working with the latest and greatest... as of 1997. IT and (insert other department... Operations,Finance, HR, whatever) work so poorly together nothing ever gets moved along in terms of implementation or development. IT department installs tracking software "ZSCALER" on every laptop. You've been warned. Each webpage you load, internal or external, will take a painful time to load. It actually detracts from productivity. And they're watching you.

Outdated hardware - When was the last time you saw a floppy disk? In the supply closet at PerkinElmer you say? Exactly. Be prepared for major frustrations with your Lenovo laptop from 2001.

Outdated policies - No working from home allowed, period. Managers with the "preference of one outweighing the benefit of many" attitude. CEO Friel is too much of a coward to take the initiative at his level. He allows managers to handle it themselves. Since these managers are outdated and stodgy in their ways, no WFH. Working through midnight? Doesn't matter, see you in the office at 8am. Better show up in a snowstorm too, that's expected. Again, not hyperbole. Reality.

Outdated people - Stodgy old workers averaging in their early to mid fifties. Goodluck finding any camaraderie if you are 40 or younger. There are NO fresh ideas at PerkinElmer. "Its how we've always done it" they'll say to you with glossed over eyes. You have to print EVERYTHING. EVERY SINGLE DOCUMENT. Sending a report off to a business partner? Better print it off, because none of them can turn on a computer let alone navigate Excel.

Other negatives -

Winter Street (specifically the 300 or so yards by PerkinElmer HQ) will add at least 40 minutes (each way) to your commute. It doesn't matter where you are coming from, simply choosing to work here adds 1hr20m to your commute. Again, no working from home, so you can forget about that.

No 360 reviews or reviews from sources outside of your manager. Have a terrible manager? Doesn't matter. Prepare to have your mind and soul crushed by his or her deviant tactics. If your 2nd level manager - your manager's manager - is a director or VP, this is especially true. Their heads are so high up in the clouds that they could have 8 people turnover underneath them for the same reason. 0% care given. This is not hyperbole. This is reality, I saw it happen 9 or 10 times in my 2 years at the company. Burn and turn.

Misc Tips - If you've chosen to ignore the 2 golden rules at the top of this "Con" portion, at least abide by the following: ~Avoid working in Finance(general incompetency, turnover).~ Avoid working in HR(vengeful, potentially downright evil human beings work here).~ Avoid the Waltham location entirely, if you work at a satellite office (Boston, Hopkinton) the working environment is more productive. ~ Rob Friel is a finance man and to say he is anything more than a moron in terms of CEO aptitude, would be a lie. ~ Just work until 630pm. Yes it means you'll be putting in 10.5 hour days, but the traffic is so bad, it's the lesser of two evils. You'll get home at the same time if you leave at 630 instead of 500.~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Hope on the Horizon? It's my understanding they brought in a HR Consultant or have a new HR leader to make the company more forward thinking. My inside sources tell me thus far nothing has changed after 4 months.

I am happy in my new job and harbor no vengeful feelings towards PerkinElmer. I left on my own accord, after all. The above are my true observations. They are not exaggerated for emphasis, nor to prove a point. My comments here are an attempt, from one decent human being to another, to prevent you from wasting your precious time on this planet at PerkinElmer... like I did.

Advice to Management

Nuke it and rebuild. Top down. Be savage about it, be ruthless. Going halfway will make things worse. Start over and do it now before it's too late. You're already at the point where you acquire companies for the tech and just rebrand it PKI by slapping a sticker on the side of it....

Apr 24, 2017 – Sr Life Science Recruiter

Best of luck in your new job and hope everything works out for you.

10. "Customer Service Engineer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at PerkinElmer full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Freedom to make own schedule

Cons

Work is constantly invading personal life

Apr 20, 2017 – Sr Life Science Recruiter

We appreciate your feedback and your commitment to PKI! We encourage you to talk to your manager about workload to ensure a strong work life balance.

11. "A lot of room for growth, little pay"

Current Employee - Lab Tech I in Hebron, KY
    Current Employee - Lab Tech I in Hebron, KY

I have been working at PerkinElmer full-time (More than a year)

Pros

room for growth and promotions
    great benefits

Cons

little pay compared to industry

Apr 24, 2017 – Sr Life Science Recruiter

We are pleased you are optimistic with opportunities here at PKI and hope your career continues to flourish.