Perkins Coie Reviews | Glassdoor

Perkins Coie Reviews

Updated Dec 5, 2019

3.8
Perkins Coie  Managing Partner John Devaney (no image)
John Devaney
Pros
  • "Great benefits - seriously wonderful medical/dental(in 17 reviews)

• "Good benefits package, offer sabbaticals for long term staff(in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • "The same as any other law firm, which are not deal-breakers; people who create unnecessary stress, billing quota requirements and pecking order(in 9 reviews)

• "Absolutely Zero Boundaries/Low Work-Life Balance(in 6 reviews)

1. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Associate Attorney in New York, NY

I have been working at Perkins Coie full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

West Coast vibe; Genuinely cares about its employees; Making headway in diversity.

Cons

Still a way to go with diversity.

Perkins Coie2019-11-08
  2. "Great Attorneys and Staff"

Current Employee - Legal Practice Assistant in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Perkins Coie full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I really enjoy working with the attorneys and the professional staff. In-house trying is available for staff.

Cons

Management does not always relate to the actual work being done by the timekeepers and how they need to be supported.

Advice to Management

Listen to the timekeepers and staff more. Adding more administrative positions does not help the timekeepers get their work done.

Perkins Coie2019-11-25

"Good to start your career in Seattle"

Former Employee - Associate in Seattle, WA

I worked at Perkins Coie full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Well connected, large firm with reputable name so it sets you up for the future. Despite the Cons below, this firm set me up for my future career - but those 6 years were hard earned and at great expense.

Cons

As a minority, female associate, don't count on significant or any mentorship opportunities (definitely no sponsorship opportunities). It still is very much a white organization, with good intentions (they're good at marketing diversity), but no real institutional follow through. If you start here from law school, unless you find a willing sponsor partner, don't count on making partner - they typically bring in... associates from the East coast that have been trained by their respective firms. This is practice specific but I do think this is consistent for people of color. My photo/name was typically used on pitches, but I was NEVER brought to pitches (therefore, no partnership development) - I only found out after I left that younger white male associates were being brought to pitches. White associates were typically invited to partners homes for dinner etc., but women (especially single women) seldom got the same. Among the rank, the good news is most of the women, and people of color do talk and there is a strong sub-network (so I was able to leave with their help). But partnership for people of color typically is a mirage (just look at the partnership ranks). Note I don't think this is specific to this firm - it is a major big law problem. Just don't buy the hype on their diversity scores (non timekeepers are typically treated better).

Advice to Management

Stop putting diversity efforts on the shoulders of people (women mostly) of color - if they are pressured to bill, they can't also be helping your firm become better with diversity. White allies are real. Also, be honest with the likelihood of associates to be advanced if they don't have sponsorship from partners. Help them earlier to leave the firm.

Perkins Coie2019-12-05
  4. "Law Firm Review"

Former Employee - Associate Attorney

I worked at Perkins Coie full-time

Pros

Excellent training, beautiful offices, great salary.

Cons

The hours can be long.

Perkins Coie2019-10-12

"Would never go back!"

Former Employee - Outsource Staff in Washington, DC

I worked at Perkins Coie full-time for more than a year

Pros

Free Soda, Juice and Water Managing Partner is awesome! Very nice, polite and professional. Doesn't allow personal issues to cloud business decisions.

Cons

ADMIN STAFF & OTHER DEPT. HEADS NEED A CLASS ON COMMON SENSE Dir. of Admin has major issues. Very petty, and doesn't think with sound logic. Treats Mailroom staff as the "Hired Help" with unfortunate undertones i wont say. Acts as if staff should roll out the red carpet when she's around and should do whatever is asked. Can't even be polite and say hi when walking by. As a director, a leader, you should lead... by example and unfortunately their example is a horrible one. Also, others who are in leadership positions make some of the most retarded decisions. Seems like common sense isn't common here. Trying to make sense of some of their decisions is like trying figure out how to cut butter with a wet napkin.

Advice to Management

TREAT ALL STAFF AS YOU WOULD LIKE TO BE TREATED.......AND QUIT WITH THE "MY WAY OR THE HIGHWAY" ATTITUDE

Perkins Coie2019-10-07

"Avoid !!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Perkins Coie full-time for more than a year

Pros

Biggest Law firm. Perfect Resume Builder

Cons

Employees look stressed all the time . Everybody complains about long hours of work and overtime.

Perkins Coie2019-09-15
  7. "BigLaw"

Current Employee - Attorney

I have been working at Perkins Coie full-time

Pros

Good reputation in Seattle, WA

Cons

Does not pay market in an expensive city

Perkins Coie2019-08-02
  8. "So Many Benefits"

Current Employee - Assistant in Portland, OR

I have been working at Perkins Coie full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Perkins employment contracts are written really generously for employees. It is easy to be lulled into thinking there should be more after a couple years, but boiled down... there's a 2-5% holiday bonus, there are regular cost of living raises, healthcare is fully paid, dental coverage is excellent, the work atmosphere is clean, professional, caring. There are social events with coworkers at least 2x per month. A... small gym on site. Free food frequently. Sabbaticals for staff. 401k match. Wellness program. Thank you card program. Educational Assistance Programs. My coworkers are all brilliant.

Cons

It's really difficult to think of cons, especially when considering the lack of benefits in many other industries.

Advice to Management

Don't be sneaky about change.

Perkins Coie2019-06-25
  9. "Good"

I worked at Perkins Coie full-time

Pros

Good benefits, great location, competitive pay

Cons

You will never be a lawyer, so staff positions can be tough

Perkins Coie2019-05-29
  10. "Nice Firm"

Former Employee - Legal Secretary in Washington, DC

I worked at Perkins Coie full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great place to work lot of staff perks.

Cons

I have No cons to share.

Perkins Coie2019-05-23