Perkins Restaurant and Bakery Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated July 21, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Horrible upper management, difficult growth movement, high turnover rate, had to work overnights when server called in (in 9 reviews)

• Long hours, work basically every weekend (in 7 reviews)

""Hostess""

Former Employee - Hostess in Summerville, SC
    Former Employee - Hostess in Summerville, SC

I worked at Perkins Restaurant and Bakery part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are absolutely no pros to working here. I hated it, worst first job ever.

Cons

Anxiety, no training, bad management, awful hours, expected way to much for a 16 year old and her first job.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring people, then not training them, them yelling when they mess up on their second day, and then firing them.

"Review"

Current Employee - Server/Bartender in Anaheim Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Server/Bartender in Anaheim Hills, CA

Pros

Employees are nice and usually in a great mood

Cons

Corporate doesn't staff adequately, they cut hours and then get complains and wonder why...

Advice to Management

Quit cutting staff so that customers leave happy

3. "Server/trainer/Associate Manager"

Current Employee - Associate Manager/Trainer/Server in Kissimmee, FL
    Current Employee - Associate Manager/Trainer/Server in Kissimmee, FL

I have been working at Perkins Restaurant and Bakery part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Can advance yourself through company. Tips can be good for servers, given right shifts.

Cons

no cons if you do your job.

Advice to Management

don't get comfortable at one location, as corporations do, you go where needed for the most.

4. "Overall positive experience"

Former Employee - Server in Marshfield, WI
    Former Employee - Server in Marshfield, WI

I worked at Perkins Restaurant and Bakery part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Enjoyed the people I worked with. Was treated with respect. Flexible hours around my internship schedule.

Cons

Needed to have more people working to lighten load of current employees. During rush hour, tension was high.

Advice to Management

Hire more servers and have more people working during high flow times to lighten work load and stress on employees.

5. "Server Review"

Former Employee - Server in Oak Creek, WI
    Former Employee - Server in Oak Creek, WI

I worked at Perkins Restaurant and Bakery part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay, flexible hours, depending on management can be an excellent place to work

Cons

always switching managers, high school drama between younger co- workers, often not appreciated by management

Advice to Management

Give your employees more credit, and give your servers a raise after at least a year. I worked there 3 years, great employee, punctual, worked hard and never in those three years ever got offered a raise. STOP SWITCHING MANAGEMENT ALL THE TIME, it confuses other employees and causes an unnecessary chaos and confusion.

6. "Supportive Management"

Current Employee - Server/Waitress in Lemoyne, PA
    Current Employee - Server/Waitress in Lemoyne, PA

I have been working at Perkins Restaurant and Bakery part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy to learn, great starting job, family friendly atmosphere. They take the time to train their employees and have fair pay for fair work.

Cons

Physical labor (lifting trays) can be exhausting, and sometimes dealing with angry customers can be upsetting.

"Shift leader"

Former Employee - Shift Leader in Bonita Springs, FL
    Former Employee - Shift Leader in Bonita Springs, FL

I worked at Perkins Restaurant and Bakery part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Its a nice place to work when you have the staff and support of a good manager, costumers are nice

Cons

They expect you to do the job of 4 ppl at the same time and management doesn't appreciate you, and its very disrespectful , and they don't care about your availability even you have write it or talk to them..

Advice to Management

Get better managers with proper manners to their employees

"Server"

Current Employee - Server/Waiter in Dickinson, ND
    Current Employee - Server/Waiter in Dickinson, ND

I have been working at Perkins Restaurant and Bakery (Less than a year)

Pros

Customers are very nice and schedule is flexible, they work with your existing schedule. Only need to wear black as dress uniform.

Cons

No training, paid lower than minimum wage. Management isn't educated, they are basically glorified servers and cooks so not much structure and alot of bias unprofessional behavior.

Advice to Management

What the place needs is to really put into training a staff and remaining a little bit more consistent in running things. The Perkins I work at cannot keep any employees because they pay only $4.73 cents an hour..noone is going to put up with too much for such little reward.

"Overworked"

Former Employee - Associate Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Associate Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Perkins Restaurant and Bakery full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are none. No matter how hard you work, no matter how much of yourself you put into the job it is never good enough. Your always told you could of done better.

Cons

As a manager you expect to do everything, to pick up the slack and to help out, however, expect to have your own daily side work such as cleaning toilets and deck brushing floors in the back while making sure you stay in the FOH at the same time. Make sure you check your email often but don't be in the office ( where you have to check the email.) They expect you to come in dressed professionally and maintain a neat clean appearance even after doing the dishes and scrubbing out the slop sink. Labor management is very strict. Often you will find you do 45 guests in one hour, running with one cook, one server, no host, no dish, no busser, no cashier, ten of those people wanting bakery items to go, phone is ringing for to go orders, your cook is having a mental breakdown in the kitchen and you jump on line to help em, the server is in the back crying and people are standing up front angry they haven't been sat yet, the dish line is loaded with dishes a foot high from earlier ( no one did them, they have been there so long you need a power washer to get the egg off the plates.) Moving on, two of those 45 people decide to do a survey and complain. One complains that their food took too long. The other complains that it took to long to be cashed out. You get a call from your manager...What happened? You explain it. Here is what you get to look forward to hearing... You need to manage your time better. You literally are ripped in two's almost everyday. You would think, Perkins, it can't be too complicated, oh you have no idea. It was the most demanding, outrageous place I have ever worked and I am a very hard worker. The stress is enough to make you cry.

Advice to Management

Schedule more people, you have to spend money to make money. Your staff is over worked and your turnover is going to continue to climb.

10. "Can be a great place to work..."

Former Employee - Line Cook in Knoxville, TN
    Former Employee - Line Cook in Knoxville, TN

I worked at Perkins Restaurant and Bakery full-time (More than a year)

Pros

In my experience, I received recognition for my hard work. Management tends to prefer to promote from within, rather than hire from the outside for shift lead and management positions.

Cons

Like many restaurants, the fast-paced environment can be stressful at times. And in my personal experience; unfortunately, Northcott Hospitalities, the company who owns Perkins, decided to close my store, giving us a week's notice. Along with that, the severance package they provide leaves a lot to be desired.

Advice to Management

Keep recognizing and rewarding good performance; a simple "thank you for your hard work" at the end of a shift makes us feel awesome and appreciated.