Perkins Restaurant and Bakery Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated July 21, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Horrible upper management, difficult growth movement, high turnover rate, had to work overnights when server called in (in 9 reviews)

• Long hours, work basically every weekend (in 7 reviews)

"Poor management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dandridge, TN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dandridge, TN

I worked at Perkins Restaurant and Bakery part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Food is ok, fair portioning!

Cons

Very poorly ran as well as unfair and illegal treatment to employees. Drug use on premisis!!

2. "Horrible"

Former Employee - Server/Hostess in Des Moines, IA
    Former Employee - Server/Hostess in Des Moines, IA

I worked at Perkins Restaurant and Bakery part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free food, thats about it

Cons

Terrible management, terrible co-workers, disgusting enviroment, I've witnessed the cooks smoking while making the food, I've been harassed and threated by co-workers, terribly run.

Advice to Management

Work better with employees and get rid of the crappy ones. Do not pick favorites and actually do something when there is a complaint instead of making the staff have to deal with it

"Don't even bother"

I have been working at Perkins Restaurant and Bakery part-time

Pros

The baked goods taste good. That's the only thing that's decent about this place.

Cons

There are no benefits. The best you will get is half off a meal on days you work (but not if it has steak or shrimp), they have a camera system that nobody uses and theft is frequent. They will make you sign paper work saying that they can fire you for any reason and at any time and you can't sue them for it. Even if you signed on for part time they will give you full time hours but you will get none of the benefits for it. Not a single person working communicates with other employees so if things get even remotely busy everything turns into a giant mess. Managers will make up rules on the spot to suit themselves. The drama there is unbelievable, the hire ups get in on it and it makes for one of the worst working environments you can imagine. It's not to uncommon for employees to leave without notice because of this.
    Oh, and as for those baked goods, you pay full price.

Advice to Management

Why don't you think a little before promoting someone? Just because someone was a good waiter does not mean they will make for a good manager. Show some appreciation for your regular employees.

"Perkins, Not Very Perky"

Current Employee - Server/Hostess in North Canton, OH
    Current Employee - Server/Hostess in North Canton, OH

I have been working at Perkins Restaurant and Bakery part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people I met here are amazing , outside of work.

Cons

Everyone was always complaining. No matter how hard you work and how much extra effort you put into this company you always get screwed over. No one knows what team work is. The servers only care about their money and no one wants to help anyone out ever but, its expected of you to break your back in order to help them. The management doesn't care that you might have kids or a life outside of the restaurant. No matter the amount of extra time and effort you put in, it's never noticed or appreciated. The management likes to complain and sit on their phones locked away in the office everyday. No person in management wants to help you out, they just want to go out and have a smoke. Even if you don't smoke, just say you do so you can go out every hour and take a ten minute break. The company itself doesn't care about customer complaints about the store structure itself, the company only cares about saving as much money as possible. The Perkins in Belden Village needs a remodel, and a new parking lot but, all these things will cost the company money so it will never happen. I highly recommend to not apply or work for this company. If you like to work with highly pessimistic, unfriendly, unhelpful people then, this company is for you!

Advice to Management

Do your job, instead of sitting in the office on your phones.

"This company needs a new look and a new taste."

Pros

In-store management is friendly and helpful. They care a lot about their employees and go out of their way to give a balance between work and personal life.

Cons

Corporate management is slow to change and fix obvious problems, they don't seem to have a plan guiding them into the future. The only answer they have is to give things away for free and that isn't a very strong business model.

Advice to Management

The stores need to be upgraded and revamped. They need a more modern look and a new menu. New younger business needs to be catered to. The old folks make up most of the customers are not going to around forever.

"Shite"

Pros

For the most part it is laid back. It is alright to be late if it is not busy between the time you were supposed to be there and the time you actually get there.

Cons

There was no sense of accountability. Management was misinformed and unorganized. Playing favorites and sharing personal information was everyday standard operating procedure.

"No respect or concern for employees"

Former Employee - General Manager
    Former Employee - General Manager

I worked at Perkins Restaurant and Bakery full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Some really great people to work with if you can survive upper management

Cons

Upper management has no care or concern for anyone but then what can you expect from a president that in his own words "is not a people person." Besides that there is no clear direction. The upper management team does not communicate with each other and has no clue to what is going on in operations. Edicts are made with no idea of what it takes to execute.

Advice to Management

Replace the upper management.

"very selfish Senior staff and managers"

Former Employee - Dishwasher in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Dishwasher in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I worked at Perkins Restaurant and Bakery part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

my christmas pay cheque was the only good thing but thats only because i worked all thru christmas

Cons

very rude managers and staff they are selfish and lazy they pawn their work off on people with less seniority they make u do work that has nothing to do with being a dishwasher

Advice to Management

get some new staff they are all rude and inconsiderate to staff

"Just ok"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN

Pros

Daylight savings hours let off early on Friday's during DST.

Cons

Stagnant, cheap, Identity crisis, Too many people in upper management not willing to do things differently.

Advice to Management

Quit treating Senior VP's like they are "better than everyone else" and no one should question them. Figure out who you want to be as a company. Quit coming up with slogans thinking they are going to motivate people and put some real substance behind improving customer service.

"This is the most disappointing work experience I've ever had."

Former Employee - Server
    Former Employee - Server

I worked at Perkins Restaurant and Bakery part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I liked some of the people I worked with and a few of my regulars and every month we would play safety bingo, but even that has stopped now as far as I know.

Cons

I didn't feel like I mattered at all to this company. I got no acknowledgement for anything that I did and our owner could care less about us. We work on Thanksgiving and Christmas Eve and if he has it his way the employees will probably be working on Christmas day one of these years. There is no insentive to want to go above and beyond for the management here at all. This is a dead end job.

Advice to Management

We need much much better training for new employees. The hosts don't know how to run a wait or go by rotation and many of the servers don't help eachother out like they should or carry their own weight .