Perkins Restaurant and Bakery Reviews | Glassdoor

Perkins Restaurant and Bakery Reviews

Updated May 29, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Good pay, flexible hours, depending on management can be an excellent place to work (in 8 reviews)

• Variety in work with great people (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper Management is rotating continually especially the Regional managers (in 8 reviews)

• It is really fast-paced and not for everyone (in 5 reviews)

1. "Server cook supervisor"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Cloud, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Cloud, MN

I worked at Perkins Restaurant and Bakery full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

This Perkins is open 24/7. They were very accommodating with scheduling around sitters and my spouse's schedule when necessary. The staff were friendly and welcoming.

Cons

The bar shifts (roughly 10p-6a)were either crazy or dead and scheduling was impossible. College kids would go out when there were no events to speak of thus leaving us understaffed.

Advice to Management

The management staff is at the top of their game because of the nature of that restaurant. The trends aren't always the same and everyone steps it up and did their best! Keep up the good work!

2. "Great Food Service company"

Current Employee - Associate Manager in Rapid City, SD
    Current Employee - Associate Manager in Rapid City, SD

I have been working at Perkins Restaurant and Bakery full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Schedule flexibility, great advancement opportunities, fantastic regular crowd, management team structure is well assembled, communication and ethics from upper management to base level employees is superb.

Cons

Complete lack of quality benefits, difficulty to hit bonuses across the board (only 10-15% of managements teams see full bonuses), the overall look and feel of Perkins restaurants is not of a classy, high-quality feel.

Advice to Management

Be ready to give your life to this company. You will find yourself thinking about this job when you are gone, and feeling a true urge to go back to work on days off. You fall in love with it.

3. "team work"

Former Employee - Overnight Cook in Dubuque, IA
    Former Employee - Overnight Cook in Dubuque, IA

I worked at Perkins Restaurant and Bakery full-time (More than a year)

Pros

when I started people had to finish all their work before leaving, not so anymore. Leave for next person.

Cons

management needs to take charge instead of letting workers do as they choose

Advice to Management

make everyone do their job's instead of letting store go to hell just because store is closing and moving, still have to do your job's

"Best place on earth"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Menasha, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Menasha, WI

I worked at Perkins Restaurant and Bakery part-time (More than a year)

Pros

There's no place like Perkins. It's the greatest family restaurant on earth. Their tremendous twelve is a unique selling point that no other restaurant can compete with. They sell like hotcakes. Literally. As a server, I simply have little to do other than take the order and bring it out to the table.

Cons

I can't see a single issue with this place. It's absolute perfection. Sometimes a cook will fix eggs over hard when I enter in over medium, and then the customer will yell at me but I think it's okay, because hey, we all like our eggs a specific way.

Advice to Management

I love their contests. They should give contests allllllll the time. I think it's just a great way to get people involved in superior customer service. I also they think should bring back the ranch burger, which is funny because it had BBQ sauce on it instead of ranch dressing. It's still pretty damn good.

6. "DONT DO IT."

Former Employee - Server in Newburgh, NY
    Former Employee - Server in Newburgh, NY

Pros

Nothing there are no pros to this place.

Cons

managment sucks they dont listen to you they dont mediate issues just scream at you.

Advice to Management

LISTEN TO YOUR EMPLOYEES.

7. "Good first job for a server"

Current Employee - Server in Appleton, WI
    Current Employee - Server in Appleton, WI

I have been working at Perkins Restaurant and Bakery part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Welcoming employees, good training program, flexible schedule, fun and helpful coworkers, no over-staffing problems, short and generally busy shifts, clean environment

Cons

Lots of clean up duties, elderly crowd with poor tips, large and constantly changing menu, mandatory to work every holiday, don't receive charge tips right away and they go onto your check, large amounts of money taxed from checks

Advice to Management

Personally I have never heard of a server not receiving their charge tips at the end of the night, and I would prefer to come home with all of my shift's earnings that day.

8. "Great part-time income for servers"

Former Employee - Server/Waiter in Sioux City, IA
    Former Employee - Server/Waiter in Sioux City, IA

I worked at Perkins Restaurant and Bakery part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible scheduling, good tips and great customers

Cons

No benefits and no breaks. Stressful work environment and unrealistic expectations of staff. Treated as a body and not a person. The restaurant culture at Perkins tries to promote good customer service but does not set up their staff to be successful. Limited praise for a job well-done and plenty of negativity.

Advice to Management

Work with the staff and not against them. Be more hands-on rather than spending time in the office and yelling and screaming at staff does not promote a good work ethic.

9. "Transferred here from another Perkins. Management VERY unprofessional."

Former Employee - Food Server in North Mankato, MN
    Former Employee - Food Server in North Mankato, MN

I worked at Perkins Restaurant and Bakery full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Getting half off meals, free drinks, sign up system for holiday hours

Cons

Terrible hours, never took an issue seriously, promised things that were never followed through with

10. "Server"

Former Employee - Server in Greenbrier, TN
    Former Employee - Server in Greenbrier, TN

I worked at Perkins Restaurant and Bakery (More than 5 years)

Pros

Friendly ,fast pace, Help full,

Cons

not enough business, to much do as i say not as i do

11. "food production manager"

Former Employee - Food Production Manager in Gladstone, MO
    Former Employee - Food Production Manager in Gladstone, MO

I worked at Perkins Restaurant and Bakery full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

regular paycheck. always plenty of work to do usually more work than you can manage in a single shift. fast passed environment

Cons

managers are overloaded with more than they can handle but are still expected to perform these duties. also you end up doing hourly employee work for most of the day.

Advice to Management

Take better care of your employees so they can have a better balance between work and home. Stop making them work when they are sick and let them take a vacation once in a while.