Perkins Restaurant and Bakery Reviews | Glassdoor

Perkins Restaurant and Bakery Reviews

Updated March 11, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Good pay, flexible hours, depending on management can be an excellent place to work (in 8 reviews)

• Variety in work with great people (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper Management is rotating continually especially the Regional managers (in 8 reviews)

• It is really fast-paced and not for everyone (in 5 reviews)

1. "Great Place"

Pros

Nice People, Great Food
    Decent Hours

Cons

Too much food, might get fat.

2. "Fun"

Pros

Great place to work. Friendly Staff & Great Management. Everybody pitched in when it was busy & it made the job a lot less stressful.

Cons

There weren't any that I can think of. I enjoyed my time there for the entire 2 years that I was there.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work & stay positive with staff like you have been & everything will stay great.

3. "Server"

Current Employee - Server/Waiter in Dickinson, ND
    Current Employee - Server/Waiter in Dickinson, ND

I have been working at Perkins Restaurant and Bakery (Less than a year)

Pros

Customers are very nice and schedule is flexible, they work with your existing schedule. Only need to wear black as dress uniform.

Cons

No training, paid lower than minimum wage. Management isn't educated, they are basically glorified servers and cooks so not much structure and alot of bias unprofessional behavior.

Advice to Management

What the place needs is to really put into training a staff and remaining a little bit more consistent in running things. The Perkins I work at cannot keep any employees because they pay only $4.73 cents an hour..noone is going to put up with too much for such little reward.

5. "Overworked"

Former Employee - Associate Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Associate Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Perkins Restaurant and Bakery full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are none. No matter how hard you work, no matter how much of yourself you put into the job it is never good enough. Your always told you could of done better.

Cons

As a manager you expect to do everything, to pick up the slack and to help out, however, expect to have your own daily side work such as cleaning toilets and deck brushing floors in the back while making sure you stay in the FOH at the same time. Make sure you check your email often but don't be in the office ( where you have to check the email.) They expect you to come in dressed professionally and maintain a neat clean appearance even after doing the dishes and scrubbing out the slop sink. Labor management is very strict. Often you will find you do 45 guests in one hour, running with one cook, one server, no host, no dish, no busser, no cashier, ten of those people wanting bakery items to go, phone is ringing for to go orders, your cook is having a mental breakdown in the kitchen and you jump on line to help em, the server is in the back crying and people are standing up front angry they haven't been sat yet, the dish line is loaded with dishes a foot high from earlier ( no one did them, they have been there so long you need a power washer to get the egg off the plates.) Moving on, two of those 45 people decide to do a survey and complain. One complains that their food took too long. The other complains that it took to long to be cashed out. You get a call from your manager...What happened? You explain it. Here is what you get to look forward to hearing... You need to manage your time better. You literally are ripped in two's almost everyday. You would think, Perkins, it can't be too complicated, oh you have no idea. It was the most demanding, outrageous place I have ever worked and I am a very hard worker. The stress is enough to make you cry.

Advice to Management

Schedule more people, you have to spend money to make money. Your staff is over worked and your turnover is going to continue to climb.

6. "Can be a great place to work..."

Former Employee - Line Cook in Knoxville, TN
    Former Employee - Line Cook in Knoxville, TN

I worked at Perkins Restaurant and Bakery full-time (More than a year)

Pros

In my experience, I received recognition for my hard work. Management tends to prefer to promote from within, rather than hire from the outside for shift lead and management positions.

Cons

Like many restaurants, the fast-paced environment can be stressful at times. And in my personal experience; unfortunately, Northcott Hospitalities, the company who owns Perkins, decided to close my store, giving us a week's notice. Along with that, the severance package they provide leaves a lot to be desired.

Advice to Management

Keep recognizing and rewarding good performance; a simple "thank you for your hard work" at the end of a shift makes us feel awesome and appreciated.

7. "Server Job"

Pros

Great coworkers and GM. If you work hard you have the potential to get many hours. Rollie is the bombbb.

Cons

You will smell like breakfast all the time... if that's a problem for you, I don't know. Also, if you're not a strong server I would not recommend you work here. Crazy amounts of tables at times. Also the church crowd is super rude, so...

Advice to Management

Fire people who don't show up for their shift. Also maybe enforce stricter cleaning regimens. Although that must be difficult to do when you never close and are getting pressure to down hours when you're not busy.

8. "Perkins"

Former Employee - Hostess in Noblesville, IN
    Former Employee - Hostess in Noblesville, IN

Pros

They give you paid vacations every year that increase in length the longer you've been with the company

Cons

They can be really cheap with pay and I'm my experience hire a lot of people who shouldn't be hired.

Advice to Management

If someone is a convict and currently in jail or work release I understand extending some opportunity to those who deserve it but when every employee in the restaurant is a convict and is currently in or freshly out of jail. Really.

9. "Solid group if you can fit"

Former Employee - Line Cook in Rapid City, SD
    Former Employee - Line Cook in Rapid City, SD

Pros

The staff become family, hanging out, going for beers afterward. Depending on store the managers try their best to take care of you

Cons

Every store has a different manager style, there for a while had a manager that didn't weed out the poor employees. Employees can become too clickly, aka not one of use so we are going to give you troubles .

10. "Server"

Current Employee - Server and Shift Manager in Plattsburgh, NY
    Current Employee - Server and Shift Manager in Plattsburgh, NY

I have been working at Perkins Restaurant and Bakery full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The best thing is all the people I have met and how much I have come to love my job.

Cons

I have reached the cap off and can not grow farther than where I am in Perkins.

Advice to Management

Communication is very important in any place of work

11. "A Positive Job Made Negative"

Former Employee - Hostess in Dickson City, PA
    Former Employee - Hostess in Dickson City, PA

I worked at Perkins Restaurant and Bakery part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy job, simple work, low expectations to meet

Cons

Managers were rude and unhelpful

Advice to Management

Be kinder to your employees if you want them to not be obviously miserable in front of customers