Perkins & Will Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Perkins & Will President and CEO Phil Harrison
Phil Harrison

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "I have found so many incredibly supportive people who have genuinely cared in various ways including mentorship and work/life balance" (in 10 reviews)

• "Good exposure to projects and nice work environment" (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • "Dedication to difficult projects can throw the work life balance off balance" (in 7 reviews)

• "Terrible management who may be good designers but no idea how to run a business in New York as well as in upper management" (in 10 reviews)

1. "Arch I"

Current Employee - Architect I in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Architect I in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Perkins & Will full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is a great office to work at – I’ve recommended this firm, and specifically this office, to my friends, and will continue to do so. There is a mix of personalities, strengths, and interests, which can be great if you look at it in a positive and open manner, rather than a negative bump in the road. I’ve worked at some really awful firms due to the 2008 recession and stuck with them for the sake of a paycheck, so I can honestly say that this office has been too good to me. I have found so many incredibly supportive people who have genuinely cared in various ways including mentorship and work/life balance.

The Managing Director doesn’t play the favorites game, but he does genuinely care, as he’s often caught me in the halls and asked me how I’m doing in life and at work and if I’m on projects that are beneficial to my career. In general, leadership, including the MD, recognizes when someone works extremely hard. While everyone loves to talk and complain about the negative, which is expected at a large firm, there is often a lot of positive feedback that circulates around the office as well. If you’re a team player, you WILL get treated well. I’ve done small favors for various projects – like helped out a Senior Designer with a last minute photoshoot (which isn’t typical) and helped a Principal take a photo of a recently finished space that wasn’t professionally photographed yet, etc. and all of these people remember that and have returned the favor by being supportive in some form.

After being at various firms, I do have the pet peeve of bosses taking credit for your work, but I find this office really frowns down upon this situation which makes me respect the firm. Because I’m a pretty ambitious and transparent person, I find that this office respects and appreciate this, and responds to my favor. A Principal or PM will often hand me something that will push my abilities as an architect, will allow me to figure the task or situation out, but will be there for me when I express doubt or the need for help. While this may not work for everyone, but it definitely works for me!

I also find that if you want something and the idea has been shut down by one person or group of people, that’s your time to be creative and figure out another path to pursuit your idea. Thankfully, there are enough personalities, so someone will eventually be supportive of a crazy idea. I found this to be the case in regards to ideas I had for an Innovation Incubator, but found a different path within the firm to make it happen.

Fortunately, I can really be taken seriously, but I can also jovially joke around with my coworkers, including those in leadership. This dynamic makes working at a firm 100x’s more enjoyable, and encourages you to represent the firm as best as possible.

There has also been the opportunity to get to know other P+W employees in other offices. It’s always fun to collaborate in this manner.

Last bit: During the 2008/9 recession, when I was laid off from my first job, I decided to dream big and applied to Perkins + Will, but I also applied everywhere I could. As corny as this sounds, this job has been a dream come true, and I am looking forward to continue growing my career with this firm.

Last last bit: And of course, there are the great perks that people take for granted: bonuses, professional development, ARE study guides and support, lunch & learns, lunch time yoga, and most importantly: APPRECIATION AND RESPECT when it’s earned and deserved.

Cons

I find the office culture in terms of your career great, one of the other things that I initially found exciting about the firm is the office culture in terms of social. I’ve always seen this firm in the light that not only were they creating interesting design and pushing the envelope in innovation, but were able to do so because they actually enjoyed each other’s company - it was a “family.” There is a lack of office events and a lack of diverse people volunteering on community service projects – it’s typically the same 10-15 people. While this is labeled as a con, I believe with time, this can change – it could be circumstantial as we’re incredibly busy at the time. I do wish leadership spearheaded this aspect a bit more.

Also, I really wish more people knew Revit WELL.

2. "Junior Architect"

Former Employee - Junior Architect in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Junior Architect in Washington, DC

I worked at Perkins & Will full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A good platform to set off a professional career, which helps you to get a good sense of what architects' responsibility is and what's going on in this industry. In a word, a big firm like Perkins Will provides you with an understanding of "typical environment of an architecture company".

Cons

bureaucratic, low efficiency, lacking office courtesy sometimes.

3. "Mismanaged company and toxic work environment"

Current Employee - Architect in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Architect in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Perkins & Will full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The subsidized MARTA card is the only good thing. The physical office space itself is also pretty nice.

Cons

Where to begin:

This company is horribly mismanaged and our fees are too high to compete. We constantly lose projects.

If you are thinking about hiring Perkins+Will, don’t. The company charges way too much for the services they provide. You project will be mismanaged, and they will spend your fee on expensive dinners and trips to Paris for the directors.

If you are thinking about working here, don't. The salaries at Perkins+Will are nowhere near competitive. In fact they are some of the lowest in the Metro Area. Go to literally any other firm to work as an architect.

The work environment is toxic. There are affairs happening all over the place. Upper management harasses lower tier workers. HR does nothing about it because they have also had affairs with one of the directors.

Advice to Management

If your job is business development and you don't bring in work, you should be fired. If you get our firm fired from projects then you absolutely should be fired, not paid a quarter of a million dollars.

There are still a handful of good people left. They should be promoted, not driven out.

4. "Interior Designer"

Former Employee - ID3 in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - ID3 in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Nice office and colleagues, interesting projects

Cons

Upper management changeover, studio fell apart

5. "Great, progressive place to work."

I have been working at Perkins & Will full-time

Pros

Great hard-working atmosphere, especially in the Design and the Interior studios.

Cons

There is not enough of a mesh of resources across the other studios.

Advice to Management

Break down the silos of studios...and create project-based teams, instead of studio-based teams.

6. "Urban Designer"

I have been working at Perkins & Will full-time

Pros

People are friendly. Annual event

Cons

Reasonable working hours. Big team size

7. "Project Architect"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at Perkins & Will full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Small-Mid size office, Some flexible schedule.

Cons

Revolving door. Trouble securing projects.

8. "Great Firm"

I have been working at Perkins & Will full-time

Pros

Great atmosphere and people
    Flexibility in work
    Opportunities to grow

Cons

Growth method can make consistency in work methods difficult

9. "Falling apart"

I worked at Perkins & Will full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I made some great friends who I still keep in touch with (most of them who have left at this point but some who are still there)

Cons

Mass exodus from the New York office of anyone under 35 and is driven. Terrible management who may be good designers but no idea how to run a business in New York as well as in upper management.

Advice to Management

Middle management needs to mentor... upper management needs to change. If key people cannot bring in work, they should be fired.

10. "Smart Talented People"

Former Employee - Architect in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Architect in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Perkins & Will full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent opportunities to grow and connect with inspiring projects and great people across North America and worldwide

Cons

Corporate policies and internal barriers limit innovation and growth.

Advice to Management

Go back to the start-up culture roots and incentivize people to work together across disciplines and offices.