Perry Ellis International Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Perry Ellis International CEO and President Oscar Feldenkreis
Oscar Feldenkreis

Pros
  • Security, Good Benefits Good job to work if not management (in 7 reviews)

• Lots of great people at the corporate level (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Too many people willing to backstab others to better their self-image for upper management acceptance (in 18 reviews)

• There was no room for growth in my department (in 8 reviews)

"A tough place to work"

Former Employee - Creative in Doral, FL
    Former Employee - Creative in Doral, FL

I worked at Perry Ellis International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Most of the worker bees are great. If you get the opportunity to prove yourself, you can go a long way.

Cons

Management rules by fear and sets unrealistic expectations for goals. Don't expect to make a bonus here- it rarely happens. Moral is terrible and it makes for a stressful working environment.

Advice to Management

Trust your people. If you here the same complaints about upper management and do nothing about it then shame on you!

2. "LOW MORALE ON THE EMPLOYEES"

Former Employee - Director in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Director in Miami, FL

I worked at Perry Ellis International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good employees discount. Easy jobs. Nice co workers. Plenty time to use your cellular and take care of personal matters!!

Cons

Employees are not happy. Turn around is huge. Very poor HR dept.(none) . Upper management is awful, they only care about themselves and how not to work and get the credit.
    CEO is new and has a terrible personality , He thinks he is God.

Advice to Management

Look more at the small positions and recognize their work. Sell the company to people that know how to handle a business properly.

"Low employee morale and no opportunity for growth"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Perry Ellis International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good entry-level opportunity to jump start your career

Cons

The culture at the company is based upon politics and favoritism, and has absolutely no form of "team" culture. Low pay, terrible management, many layoffs, and no room for growth.

Advice to Management

Put your employees first.

"Store manager"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Orlando, FL

I worked at Perry Ellis International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The discount was pretty good. Also I was able to have some freedom to come up with my own strategies.

Cons

Everything. The management was HORRIBLE. They were all intertwined and did not care for the employees at all. Asked for unimaginable things and then threw my team and I under the bus if anything was even slightly off. Locked my assistant and myself out of all systems forcing us to work 7 days a week and then when my assistant broke her foot I was expected to work open to close until further notice, help was finally offered one day and then revoked. After I left a full staff was already trained to come in. This coming from a manager that increased sales 32% in under a year. I felt I was selling my soul.

Advice to Management

Put your employees first and care, even in the slightest, that is where you can start. You will never hold top talent if this is the way you treat your employees.

5. "Worst company ever"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Miami, FL

Pros

Nothing pro in this cheap company

Cons

From CEO to designers they all need to runaway

Advice to Management

Rebuild the core values of yourself and will be reflected into the company.

"Poor company culture"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

Pros

For a new college graduate, the pay was great. Your not really micromanaged in the merchandising department ... I can't speak for any other department. If your an independent worker and prefer not to work as a team.. The merchandising department is perfect for you. If you become friends with a manager from another department, it's super easy to transfer departments.. Experience or no experience.

Cons

If your a recent college graduate, the Merchandising team is not a place to build the solid foundation that your looking for... Look at other companies. The Miami Headquarters has very poor company culture. Upper management are either best friends or hate each other. Managers talk about their managers to other associates on their team. If your mid-senior level, you basically make all the rules, you can leave as early as you'd like, take a month off of work, leave early ever Friday. There's no professional training and your peers train you ( same level or entry level), it's very hard to have a manager sent down and actually explain the business to you. The office is NOT culturally diverse.. Only one ethnicity is celebrated to the point where it's unprofessional. When you work late hours your team mates just walk right pass you .. It's unheard of to see a how team stay late together to accomplish a goal or meet a deadline. The last Town Hall meeting was completely delivered in the Spanish language only. Some task that the Buyers have to complete at PEI would be completed by MA's (Merchandise Assistants) at other companies. Pay is low.

Advice to Management

I would think about who your hiring to take on upper management roles... Can they deliver? Do they have the ability to teach and/or lead a team of people in a positive direction.

"RUN... Don't Look Back"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

I worked at Perry Ellis International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The best part of working for PEI is the people who work there. Your peers. NOT upper management.

Cons

The family thinks and runs the business like communists. They manage by fear, intimidation and insulting. I truly feel sorry for certain people in the HR Department who truly want to make a difference, but cannot because of certain "others" in HR who have no idea what they are doing. Shady HR Leaders.

Advice to Management

Start to take care of your people or the activists will completely take over and knock you out. Treat your employee with respect and stop the menacing threats.

"Run for your life!!!"

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Perry Ellis International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great sales associates that kept me sane throughout my horrible experience. Free clothing however cheaply they are made.

Cons

The MOST horrendous upper management I have ever had the displeasure of working under. Bottom line scum.

Advice to Management

Your horrible and your company will fail as a result of that.

9. "Every two years"

Current Employee - Senior Merchandiser in Commerce, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Merchandiser in Commerce, CA

I have been working at Perry Ellis International full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good insurance, good cammute

Cons

There is no advancement, unless you quit. Every two years they bring new, vps or directors that have zero qualifications.

Advice to Management

Look at the true jewels that have served you relentlessly for over 2 years and brees them

10. "loyalty"