Perry Ellis International Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated June 27, 2017

Perry Ellis International CEO and President Oscar Feldenkreis
Oscar Feldenkreis

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Security, Good Benefits Good job to work if not management (in 7 reviews)

• Lots of great people at the corporate level (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Too many people willing to backstab others to better their self-image for upper management acceptance (in 18 reviews)

• There was no room for growth in my department (in 8 reviews)

1. "A riveting experience"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate, Part Time in Grand Prairie, TX
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate, Part Time in Grand Prairie, TX

I worked at Perry Ellis International part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I exercised my communication skills.
    Made some friends along the way.
    Learned plenty of invaluable job skills.

Cons

The location I worked at had some supervisors that abused their power.
    Often times the other employees would perform their work haphazardly
    The other employees would behave in an unprofessional manner towards the customers

Advice to Management

it means one thing to wear a suit
    its another thing to act it

2. "Order Filler"

Former Employee - Order Filler in Seneca, SC
    Former Employee - Order Filler in Seneca, SC

I worked at Perry Ellis International full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Security, Good Benefits Good job to work if not management

Cons

Favoritism Hard on the good workers that really try

Advice to Management

You should treat the hard workers better then your favorites Especially my Supervisor Laura Lee

"Only if you needed a job"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Camarillo, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Camarillo, CA

I worked at Perry Ellis International part-time (More than a year)

Pros

mens clothing discounts, get to try on suits for fun

Cons

typical retail job except more folding, more junk, QA of clothing was awful. Lines never matched up on suit pants. Pretty embarrassing at times.

Advice to Management

If there was any advice I could give to the previous management it would be to listen to store managers more.

"Associate designer"

Current Employee - Associate Designer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Associate Designer in New York, NY

I have been working at Perry Ellis International (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good work environment. Young professionals with a good attitude and forward thinking

Cons

Little to no upward movement opportunities. Upper management is not focused on providing growth for current employees

Advice to Management

Provide more incentive and growth plans for current employees. Management needs to recognize those who are excelling, and avoid losing employees with commitment and knowledge to expand beyond their current role

"Learn-n-Go"

Former Employee - MIS/Sales in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - MIS/Sales in Miami, FL

I worked at Perry Ellis International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Some people are nice and some provide a family like atmosphere.
    - Good learning opportunity of how a public.corporate company works.
    - Easy flexible schedule (for the most part).
    - Variety of restaurants in the area (lol).
    - Descent technological infrastructure.
    - Retail infrastructure is "ok".
    - Process of procurement is great.

After having my guard up all my time there. There are a select few that I was able to trust. And only from those few is where I was able to learn the front-end and back-end of such a large corporate company.

Cons

- C-Level Management needs improvement
    - Too many unqualified people playing "Director", "Vice-President", "SrVP", "ExecutiveVP".
    - Too many people unwilling to embrace change to better the company due to arrogance. The typical mentality of "we did it like this for years why change it under my watch"
    - Too many people willing to backstab others to better their self-image for upper management acceptance.
    - They spend money in the wrong areas and not in the employees that want to make Perry Ellis great again.
    - They only pay their family members, and those who "leech" on the backs of C-level management personnel because they are of the Jewish Religion. So if your Jewish you're good.
    - The IT department works with old hardware equipment (servers, switches, routers, workstations, laptops, and wireless communication) yet claims its the "latest and greatest". Management Style needs improvement starting from the CIO down.
    - Retail IT Department is short staffed snd poorly managed. Support Team is great but lack time and resources.
    - Salary-wise they pay you as an entry-level employee but want Top Knowledge and years of experience to only land with a manager that will hold you back from improving the culture, improving cost improving process, improving functionality, and providing top-notch service to those internal and external.
    - Benefit-wise you are getting the bare minimum so that upper management can pay for their boats, cars, lavish vacations and for certain departments to waste money on expensive sales meeting presentations and also piss-poor marketing.
    - On site security and building management is just horrific. VP of Security and Facilities needs to step down as this guy is holding back the potential of others to improve the safety of all employees. Camera system is so outdated you can forget about playing back film from a day ago let alone a week old.
    - Politics and favoritism is the main culture at Perry Ellis.

Advice to Management

Instead of hiring outside help for accounting and financing you should hire a company to investigate the culture, the process and individuals.

IT Department needs to be overhauled. From who manages what to who manages who. Too much separation between offices mainly (NYH, and MIA).

Get rid of all the bad-apples (you know who they are).

Change in process is healthy.

Promote healthy teamwork.

TRANSPARENCY IS THE KEY FOR ALL LEVELS OF MANAGEMENT !!!!!

"Management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Perry Ellis International (More than 5 years)

Pros

Really good co-workers and immediate supervisor. Immense talent within the company and my particular group was especially hard working and dedicated because of our immediate supervisor's passion.

Cons

Always a fear of lay-offs, extreme workload with no pay increase (can go years without increase), HR team is horrible and as everyone else has mentioned, nepotism at it's finest.

"if your are creative and have big dreams ... run !!!!! your creativity will be in the shadows"

Former Employee - Associate Designer in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Associate Designer in Miami, FL

I worked at Perry Ellis International (More than a year)

Pros

good benefits , most of the times good people to work with, a lot of very talented people

Cons

poor management , the culture of the company is very much like a family, a lot of people had work for the company 20 to 30 years. that means that even though the are not longer a good assets for the company their decisions and way of drive the business is what rules ... unfortunately must of these people don't care of the pout comes nor they look for new and creative way of finding new business ... also almost 95% of these individuals are in the sales team . the design department gets shout down all the time preventing new ideas and innovations to come out for better trendier and more profitable brands.

"Good company to work for"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Doral, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Doral, FL

I worked at Perry Ellis International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There were a lot of opportunities to learn. The company offered great benefits. The health benefits were at an affordable price. It was a fun place to work!

Cons

There was no room for growth in my department. I was up for the challenge but not given the opportunity and that led me to leave. There are lot of opportunities for improvement but they are working on it.

9. "former employee"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

I worked at Perry Ellis International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good company to work for

Cons

Depts are Very controlled by management

10. "Good but could be better"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Texas City, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Texas City, TX

I worked at Perry Ellis International (Less than a year)

Pros

I would say that some of the best reasons to work with Perry Ellis is to be able to build customer service skills, and learn how to work with a steady routine involving many different tasks. Its a great job to start off anyone's sales associate skills.

Cons

There's not negative for me to really say about this job except that I wish I would've gotten full-time instead of being hired part-time, other than that I give this job 5 stars of great experience, and I wish I could've gotten a better hourly pay.

Advice to Management

None needed