Pet Supermarket Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.7
Charles E. West Jr.

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Free dog food every month helps out (in 16 reviews)

• working with animals, great people, discounts (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Management at district level and up is very frustrating unless you make it into upper management (in 20 reviews)

• The one downside to working for this company is that the starting pay is very low - right at minimum wage (in 17 reviews)

1. "Fun place for some extra spending money"

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Coconut Creek, FL
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Coconut Creek, FL

I have been working at Pet Supermarket part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very low stress work environment, fun and personable upper management, and lenient schedule making i.e, their ok if you need some changes.

Cons

The pay is not good enough if you actually need to pay bills, and quite frankly the retail staff should be paid more considering their importance to the company.

Advice to Management

They're pretty good at what they do.

2. "Solid entry level retail position"

I worked at Pet Supermarket part-time

Pros

It's hard to survive the screening process, but those who do will be pleasant and agreeable to work with usually.

Cons

It's retail. Not much you can do about it.

3. "I really enjoy my job and I've learned so much over the years. Definitely a great place to work"

Current Employee - Store Manager in The Colony, TX
    Current Employee - Store Manager in The Colony, TX

I have been working at Pet Supermarket full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You meet a lot of interesting people be it the customers or even your fellow coworkers. Free bag of food a month is good too.

Cons

So much to do with truck, cleaning, store maintenance, and keeping sales up. It can be stressful. Very difficult to fire bad employees.

Advice to Management

I think the company has made some great changes but more can be done. More meeting with corporate to share information.

"Eh.."

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Coral Springs, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Coral Springs, FL

I have been working at Pet Supermarket full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Because of the animals and educating customers. Not only that you become friends with the customers that always want to come back to see you.

Cons

Horrible management and too many changes with the company. Pet valu has ruined the company with changes and the managers dont give a flip about you.

Advice to Management

Grow up and treat your employees with more respect and handle situations that are brought up to you! Stop making it all about you! And also learn to stop singling out one employee for everything!

5. "Awful Management"

I worked at Pet Supermarket part-time

Pros

Working with animals is great and the employees all act like a family.

Cons

However you don't get your schedule until maybe a Thursday night if you're lucky. You will get written up, threatened to get written up, or blamed for things that you didn't do. No one knows how to do inventory so we are ALWAYS out of stuff people ask for. No one trains you when you start so someone asks you about an animal or product or a managers asks you do to something and you don't know the answer or how to do it you're SOL. They over hired so you get no hours. But everyone hates it that half the people have left within the past 3 months. Store manager will criticize everyone for their job but sits in the backroom on her phone. Will "go to the bank" and take two hours doing so. Never works or helps on truck, under staffs on truck day a good 80%, will work you close and schedule you open the next morning, etc.

I genuinely loved my job and would have stayed if I didn't hate the management so much. Would I work with the company again, unlikely. Would I work at this store ever again, hell no.

Advice to Management

Hire people who will care about their employees and not someone who treats them as tools.

"What a waste of life"

Former Employee - Third Key Holder in West Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Third Key Holder in West Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Pet Supermarket full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You don't need to be an expert. They seem to train is fairly well on some products. My first store was the only person super for 30miles so it was a totally different environment then the second store.

Cons

Upper management, as in district manages and store managers, they go build new stores and spend weeks setting up new locations, meanwhile, after work, cheat on their husbands and wives, get wasted and act like fools and do it again the next night and the next. On company dime. Pretty sick.
    The Jacksonville store is a joke. Seriously.
    I worked there for 3 years and I was a valued employee but every time I got a raise it was tiny and they'd raise minimum wage soon after so it made me really freaking mad that after 3 years I was making 10¢above minimum wage.

Advice to Management

I really question how store leadership and district leadership is selected because the Florida region had some pretty disgusting excuses for managers.

"Good company to work for but pay is not enough"

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Miami, FL

I have been working at Pet Supermarket full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Moving up in the company is very easy and quick if you work hard.

Cons

The pay does not compare to PetSmart or Petco

"Not a long-term career"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Miami, FL

I have been working at Pet Supermarket part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great customer service experience as well as experience working with animals of all types kept as pets.

Cons

Your hours are based entirely on sales and not your overall performance as an employee. The less you sell The less hours you got regardless of how the market might be around you and other variables that might impact sales.

Advice to Management

Do more to encourage your employees instead of leaving them completely in the dark and throwing them into the ocean when they have barely crossed a swimming pool.You also should strive to promote teamwork because Together Everyone Achieves More.

9. "A waste of time"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Miami, FL

I have been working at Pet Supermarket part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of cool animals to check out.

Cons

Inconsistent hours, Immature staff, nonexistent communication between management and employees. I asked repeatedly how my performance was and all I get is "I dont care how intelligent you are I want sales".

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with dignity and at least try to talk to them about whats going on instead of throwing them into the ditch without warning

"Don't waste your time"

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Pet Supermarket full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nothing, absolutely nothing. Just a waste of your time. Go to petco

Cons

No work life balance, pay is garbage, district managers will let you run in place for years because they don't want to lose an asset(or their monthly bonus).

Advice to Management

Consider letting people who work their butts off to move up don't let store managers run your stores for years and refuse to let them apply for district manager positions because you know your district will suffer because they are your biggest asset. Pay better, stop expecting people to work 60+ hours a week and cater to you. I went to petco and only work 40 hours a week and make 15k more then what pet supermarket was paying me. My advice treat people how petco does, like we are human and have lives outside of those four walls.