Cover image for PetDesk

87% Recommend to a Friend
95% Approve of CEO

Found 62 of over 62 reviews

4.4
PetDesk CEO Taylor Cavanah (no image)
Taylor Cavanah

70 Comments

Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
  • "aid policies that masked a lot of real issues that leadership was either blind to, or simply were not invested in solving.(in 3 reviews)
  • "Also, compensation is good, but not the best in the area.(in 3 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. 5.0
    Former Employee

Helping Pets Using the Latest and Greatest Tech

Aug 25, 2022 - Senior Software Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

Latest tech stack and awesome teams to work with

Cons

Limited stock options and benefits package

CEO

Thank you for the great review. We're always reviewing our comp and benefit policies and welcome the feedback!

2. 3.0
    Former Employee

not for everyone

Nov 21, 2022 - Sales Development Representative
    Business Outlook

Pros

benefits, PTO, paid medical, work culture, work from home

Cons

scraping the bottom of the barrel for leads, tech issues, saturated market

3. Join the PetDesk team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great company, experience varies by department

Sep 12, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Most employees are pet lovers, and it felt good to be part of a company that helps vet practices Founders are great people

Cons

There have been changes since I’ve left (for the better) but there was a time when toxic leaders were not challenged During growth period, quite a bit of leadership changes There was quite a bit of turnover especially in sales which over time made it hard to want to invest in relationships

CEO

Thank you for the review and the candid feedback. I agree it got bumpy as we grew and I take responsibility for not always acting fast enough to make the hard decisions that needed to be made. It was really good learning and we're much more proactive now but I apologize we couldn't get there soon enough for you.

5. 5.0
    Current Employee

Great Place To Work

Jul 9, 2022 - Customer Success Manager in San Diego, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Management is great Friendly coworkers Hours

Cons

Pay 401k plan not matched

CEO

We appreciate the review and are planning for 2023 comp and benefits now. Thank you for the feedback!

6. 5.0
    Current Employee

Great place for you and your pet to wfh

Jun 21, 2022 - Sales Development Representative (SDR)
    Business Outlook

Pros

Fully remote, pet insurance included, internal growth

Cons

Direct management is amazing, but there is still some disconnect between the exec team and what is happening on the ground

CEO

Thank you! I completely agree there is a disconnect and we're working hard to close that gap without adding too many more meetings. This is especially challenging since we are fully remote but we're committed to staying remote and working smarter to stay engaged and efficient!

7. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Such a great place to work!

May 16, 2022 - Sales
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good team environment. Very collaborative. Management is hands on. Great onboarding!

Cons

None that I’ve seen so far!

CEO

Thank you! I'm glad you found onboarding a great experience. The team works incredibly hard to build the best experience for new PetDeskers.

8. 5.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Genuine people and a carefully considered company mission

Dec 28, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

-Remote first- Everything from onboarding to training, to meetings etc are done with a remote first focus in mind -Company culture and mission- The founders are very people and animal focussed and this trickles down through each and every team member. They genuinely care and take the time to hire like minded team members. -Access to upper management-The entire exec team goes out of their way to be approachable and is extremely transparent

Cons

-For those looking to work in a physical office this may not be the best fit given a majority of the team is remote.

1 person found this review helpful

CEO

Thank you for the review! I'm glad you found upper management transparent. This has been a major focus for us over the years. Thank you for all of your hard work and time with us!

9. 5.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

A truly special place to work

Dec 14, 2021 - Senior Technical Project Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

PetDesk has an incredible company culture. From top to bottom, everyone is committed to the mission and that commitment informs every task, every meeting, every demo, and every hire. As a late stage start-up, it's a very dynamic environment, with plenty of opportunities to have an impact in various areas. Salaries are competitive, benefits are good, and PetDesk generally takes good care of its employees. Unlike some remote companies, PetDesk provides a top-notch home office set-up, with multiple monitors. PetDesk offers unlimited PTO and unlike some companies, employees are encouraged to take it. There's a strong culture of recognizing each other's achievements, as individuals and as teams. I've never seen a company implement sprint reviews in such a celebratory, positive way. Half the company attends and celebrates even small, incremental product improvements. The technology stack is up to date and constantly improving. There's an amazing diversity and inclusion group that meets regularly to discuss how everyone can be better, as a person and as a business.

Cons

Not really a downside, but PetDesk is experiencing growing pains as it moves out of start-up mode. The company is beginning to need some standard processes, in order to have consistent repeatable successes. For anyone interested in defining and establishing good processes, this is the perfect time to join PetDesk. Also related to growth, PetDesk is still figuring out how to go from a small company with a family atmosphere to a larger company, without losing the attributes that make the company a great place to work. One tiny ding is that the dental plan is amazingly bad. The employee pays 90% and the plan pays 10%, making it more of a small discount than insurance as it is usually known. It stands out because most PetDesk benefits are above-average.

2 people found this review helpful

CEO

Thank you for the great review and feedback! I'm glad you enjoyed the sprint reviews so much. These are some of my favorite meetings to attend as well and have only become more important in this remote first world. I'd like to echo your comments on our transition from start up to growth company. We've gone through these phase transitions before and it's always an interesting time. Our theme for next year is to work smarter as we have been overly reliant on working harder and not always building those processes and putting the tools in place to work smarter. Also, I could not agree more on the dental plan. We have a new one in place for next year but dental continues to be a difficult area to find good plans. Direct feedback is hard but key to building the culture of vulnerability and transparency we want. I'm going to take this back to the team and make sure we're all improving our ability to do this. Thank you for all the hard work and time spent with us!

10. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

A worthwhile place that's lost a bit of its heart along the way...

Nov 17, 2021 - Human Resources in San Diego, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

I’ll start by saying that, due to my specific job title/role, it would be very easy to identify me, which apparently violates Glassdoor's policies, and as such, I must post this anonymously. Know that I tried to list my title, but Glassdoor wouldn't let me. Many of the things I mention here I made known to the leaders I worked closely with at the time of my leaving and am not shy about owning these thoughts and criticisms. In the spirit of “Radical Candor,” I felt it was time to leave some honest feedback. Final disclaimer: I do own equity options in this company, so please know that despite my honest criticisms, I do want PetDesk to succeed. PetDesk is a San Diego startup success story, and simply being a part of that was worthwhile. This company is run by incredibly intelligent people, starting first and foremost with the Co-Founder/CEO, Taylor. I think Taylor hires smart people, who in turn, continue to hire smart people. As a result, I think you can learn a TON from your coworkers at PetDesk. The intelligence and the ideas are there, it’s just a matter of pulling it out of them sometimes… There are no apathetic people at PetDesk. People are passionate, whether its personal hobbies or doing the best they can in their professional role. This mix of varying “dorky obsessions” (as they put it) makes for a genuinely interesting mix of people from different backgrounds. As such, I think there is a reasonable amount of diversity within the company, and I can say from personal experience, there is certainly an earnest emphasis on continuing to improve upon their diverse employee base. Whether they follow-up in creating a more equitable and inclusive environment once people are in the door is a little more up for debate (and I’ll touch upon that in the “Cons” section). I think one of the best things about PetDesk is the transparency within the company. This certainly changed and became a little more opaque during my time there, but honestly, PetDesk is still miles above other companies in regards to making key metrics visible in order to hold people/departments accountable, updating employees on key company initiatives straight from the mouth of the CEO, and pretty honest Q&As/discussions in company meetings. You won’t find many startups where the Co-Founder/CEO will give everyone regular updates on how discussions are progressing in their fundraising round (which he did with some regularity). And finally, I’ll say that PetDesk’s industry and overall mission/vision is truly inspiring. This is a company whose product impacts lives. It directly impacts veterinarians and their ability to run a successful clinic business; it directly impacts pet parents and how proactive they can be in taking care of their animals; and it directly impacts pets themselves who are more and more becoming members of our families. If you want to be a part of something greater than yourself, this is an ideal place to do that.

Cons

As much as PetDesk got right (which was plenty!), they also got a lot wrong. From a high level, there is a genuine lack of empathetic leadership within the company. It has been some time since I left, but from what I’ve heard from old coworkers who have since left as well, it doesn’t seem like this old issue has been fixed. The focus on hiring intelligent, passionate people who match a particular experience profile, led way to a lack of ‘human beings’ in charge of key areas. Due to this very computational method of both hiring talent, and evaluating subsequent return, it simply felt like computers and models were making important decisions at times, and that human emotions/challenges/situations were not dealt with in an empathetic way. I think this contributed to a few really glaring issues... First, PetDesk has a real problem with inclusivity. What started as a very open environment slowly over time became more and more closed off. People began feeling scared to speak up in meetings, or ask direct questions of leadership. Multiple women within Product and Engineering left or were pushed out due to overly aggressive and condescending communication styles that were masquerading as “practicing ’radical candor.” Moreover, heavy-handed leadership that valued being louder than the next loudest voice in the room, squashed team-wide involvement in things like an internal Women in Tech Employee Resource Group (the Head of one department actively discouraged people to attend IN WRITING in Slack groups). To PetDesk’s credit, I do think they want to be better here. There were great policies about using inclusive language in the office – saying “y’all” instead of “you guys,” or referring to any female over the age of 18 as a “woman,” and not a “girl.” But after taking a step back, it was clear that these were more band-aid policies that masked a lot of real issues that leadership was either blind to, or simply were not invested in solving. Now I know there has been leadership change in key positions and from individuals I believed were huge sources of this problem, so I’d like to give PetDesk the benefit of the doubt in that part of the reason for that turnover was to help fix this issue; but again, from conversations I’ve had with old coworkers who’ve left over the past year, there still seems to be some concerns here... Second, I think PetDesk is the definition of “penny wise, pound foolish.” I respect Taylor’s insistence on wanting to run a responsible business that has a path to positive cashflow, and not just like any other startup who burns through cash, only to come crashing down. That said, PetDesk is kinda willing to die on some money hills, whether it be investment in particular tools and softwares that will help people be successful, hiring redundancy on teams so that individuals aren't constantly and consistently worked to their breaking point, or losing out on great talent over relatively miniscule amounts ($5-10k in yearly salary for hiring in key leadership or engineering roles, scoffing at anything approaching 10% raises, etc.). I believe this mindset also led to a layoff of about 10 people very early in the pandemic (after a year where hiring and basically doubling the size of the company was the #1 priority and OKR for success), and although I will be honest in that I was a part of that layoff (so take my opinion and criticism with a grain of salt), I think it was a premature decision made out of fear. From my understanding, PetDesk weathered COVID with little impact in their client retention, and helped them pivot to become even more profitable with other product lines. I’ll admit, they did about as best they could by the people they let go, but in hindsight, the decision was hasty, to say the least. To speak a bit to compensations as well, they don’t give regular raises. There are no regular review periods (at least there weren’t when I was there), and they take the same approach to reviews/salary raises as they do with PTO – the ball is in your court. “Unlimited PTO! Take all the time you want. No set review/raise periods! You don't have to wait for 1-2 times a year, you can set a review with a manager and negotiate a raise anytime you want. ” These sound great in theory, but frankly, if you’ve ever been in companies with these policies, you know how it actually goes in practice. Every study shows people take less PTO on an unlimited PTO policy than if it was “accrued” PTO (also saves them from having to pay out earned PTO when someone leaves). The same thing happens with the reviews and raises – there’s no set schedule, so they never happen. Or when they do, arbitrary new goals are set that you have to now meet in order to justify it, regardless of the value you’ve already brought. Again, I'll give credit where its due in that everyone is granted options/equity in the company, which is awesome, but it should not be a replacement for more reasonable salaries and regular raises (either due to merit or simply to adjust for inflation and cost of living). Which brings me to a third issue: an over-reliance on quantitative data and outcomes instead of qualitative findings. Again, it felt like computers and models were making more decisions than some people were at times, and although I can respect and appreciate the value of “making data-driven decisions,” there’s gotta be a line somewhere. This insistence also makes leadership pretty stubborn... like, VERY stubborn. Data is used to confirm already-made decisions, and data to the contrary is met with skepticism, and any anecdotal, experiential, or qualitative findings are basically ignored. One of my biggest issues in my time there was a persistent attitude from some leaders that “I know best,” and although you could in nearly every instance at least speak to them to try convincing otherwise (which I’ll admit, in many other places you won’t even get to have the conversation, so credit where its due), the likelihood of actually changing someone’s opinion or using your own expertise to try changing hearts, minds, and/or processes, was damn near zero. Despite hiring exceedingly smart people, it does seem like PetDesk wants to hire smart people to still do what leadership wants them to. A better company would hire smart people and then lean on their expertise to tell leadership what to do, and the leaders would be more willing to listen and act. But hey, they’ve gotten this far, so frankly, they’re doing something right. These incredibly smart people may not always make the BEST decision, but they do at least make consistently good ones. But with a little more receptiveness, I really think they could make even better ones… And finally, I want to touch upon the heart and soul of this wonderful place. I know it seems like I’m bashing PetDesk, but you’ll notice I’m still giving them 4/5 stars. It was a great place to work and grow professionally, and I built incredible friendships that I know will last the rest of my life. But... PetDesk has gone from a place with a truly worthwhile mission, where everyone was pushing in the same direction towards this incredible vision of “generating 10 million additional years of pet life over 10 years with the data to prove it,” to a place of politics, egos, and prioritizing product decisions that maximize profits instead of helping vets, pet parents, pets, and the wellbeing of their employees themselves. I’ve never seen a company so willing to let people go who genuinely helped build the culture and success of the business. Even during my time there, you could see some critical people who were there in the early days begin to leave, and in the time I’ve left, even more of the “old guard” have followed. This is a bit of a “chicken or the egg” situation – is this place losing its heart cause it’s lost some corner stone people over the years, or are those vital people leaving cause they see the soul of the company prioritizing Enterprise product deals over the actual welfare of vets, pets, and employees? It’s probably a little bit of both, and I do still believe deeply in PetDesk’s cause and mission. But what started as a “pet health” company has become more of a “pet appointments for veterinary clinic chains and consolidations” company. I know the culture of the company is important to many in leadership positions still there, and I'm sure the pandemic and working almost entirely remote hasn't helped to try improving upon this general vibe, but I feel it's worth mentioning in order to fix.

9 people found this review helpful

CEO

Thank you for your detailed review and feedback. I feel it deserves a longer response. It is said again and again, but I agree the people here are amazing and we take every opportunity to help cultivate that culture. I’m glad our transparency and mission resonated with you as those are two very important elements of PetDesk as well. Your feedback is over a year old but still valuable. A lot has changed in the last year (in the last 3 months even). Much of this feedback has already been acted upon. We are putting in more systems and processes to work smarter and not just harder. I can’t go through this list point by point to safeguard people who are no longer with the company, but we’ve been repairing the holes in vulnerability we had in parts of the company. I take ownership over not moving quickly enough to solve these issues and that won’t happen again. I’d like to end with my emphatic disagreement with the comments on our mission, care for the emotional welfare of our people, and my decision during the pandemic. That was one of, if not, the hardest decisions of my life and the executive team and I agonized over it for weeks. Looking back, I agree PetDesk and our industry did better through the pandemic than we thought, but I didn’t have that data at the time and we waited longer than many other companies before acting. As you mentioned, that was why we made sure to take care of those people and take care of the people still with us. We’ve also never been closer to seeing the other parts of our mission and vision materialize. Serving Enterprise (only 20% of our client base) is part of that, as we want to engage with as many pets as possible. I appreciate the feedback, the four star review, and everything you did for us over those two years.

11. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Growing pains

Oct 14, 2021 - Customer Success
    Business Outlook

Pros

1. Remote work 2. Unlimited time off (but not for all roles)- scaling back this across departments as roles move to hourly per California salary requirements. Some people working towards salaried positions for the benefit of FTO will never get there because of this. 3. The team. The individual contributors here are like no other. They are the lifeblood of this company and they are some of the greatest humans I’ve ever met. They were the only hard part about leaving.

Cons

The industry has evolved on hyper speed in the last 19 months and the product has not evolved as quick as competitors. Instead of taking accountability, the blame and burden is put on customer facing teams whose livelihoods are being directly affected by things out of their control (corporate buyouts etc.). When I quit it wasn’t a surprise to anyone. In fact, in my resignation I was asked “what was the last straw?” Because they saw the incredible workload and the unreal hours for over a year and did nothing. I asked for support and resources for over a year and did not get them. I broke. It was devastating to me personally to feel that defeat. It was incredibly hard to resign and I broke down while doing it. Quitting here made me realize how unimportant I am to this company. You can’t love something like your own because it’ll never love you back.

8 people found this review helpful

CEO

Thank you for the review and feedback. I couldn’t agree more that it’s the people here at PetDesk that make it special. We’ve made a lot of changes in the last few months to address the workload and stress the customer facing teams have been under. I am sorry that we didn’t get these in place in time for you. We take any sexual harassment claims, improper conduct, or other allegations extremely seriously. I’m not aware of these being reported, otherwise we would have run a full investigation. Mental, emotional, and physical safety is core to our culture of vulnerability.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 62 Reviews
</>Embed

PetDesk Reviews FAQs

PetDesk has an overall rating of 4.4 out of 5, based on over 62 reviews left anonymously by employees. 87% of employees would recommend working at PetDesk to a friend and 84% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has improved by 7% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, PetDesk employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.7 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at PetDesk. This rating has decreased by -3% over the last 12 months.

87% of PetDesk employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated PetDesk 4.3 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.6 for culture and values and 4.1 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at PetDesk to be benefits, career development, senior leadership and the cons to be workplace, compensation.

Popular Careers with PetDesk Job Seekers