PetEdge Reviews | Glassdoor

1.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

Pros
Cons
  • The inventory Department could care less and is more concerned with going to lunch than ordering product (in 3 reviews)

• Upper management here just walks around asking people for directions to the bathroom and hides in the office doing jigsaw puzzles (in 3 reviews)

"Stable, family owned business"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beverly, MA

I have been working at PetEdge full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Special summer work hours for salaried employees (1/2 day Fridays, provided your work is done) are very much appreciated. The Cummings Center location is very convenient. Our current HR Staff is terrific and I cannot recommend the current VP of IT highly enough. The number of long time, dedicated employees speaks to the company's ability to attract and retain talent. I am hopeful that changes to the Senior Sales Management team in the past six months will improve morale in that department.

Cons

I would like to see a larger 401 K match.

"Out Of Business?"

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Beverly, MA
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Beverly, MA

I worked at PetEdge full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They have windows and doors.

Cons

Great Company to work for if you’d like to go back to kindergarten and enjoy abuse. Some great people work here but the entire management team are lying uncaring tyrants who haven’t a clue what they are doing in any department and know that they are about to go out of business so only care about there own agendas. All the posts you see here are 100% true except the ones that are fake posted by the HR department and if you’d like to know about anyones private medical records or information in someones file just ask and they’d be happy to share if they can find the time between making up laws and policys.
    If your thinking about working, buying or selling to Petedge you should think again. They lie to there customers, don’t pay vendors and have no money so should be out of business very soon. The owner took this company over from his father and has no idea what he’s doing. He’s completely controlled by the people he puts in charge and if there’s someone that any company would never hire, they should apply here and they’d be running this company. The have awful insurance, one week vacation, minimal holidays and a closed door policy. The HR department is just a unprofessional joke run by the same guy that runs accounting which is a even bigger joke. They can’t keep a single staff member because mangement here are the most abusive, fake and nasty people you’ll ever meet but get away with doing anything they want because they are protected. The Development department does a great job of developing rip offs of other companies designs. The sales department is a complete disaster with the only guy who knew what he was doing and inspired people just left and replaced by yelling, bulldog, egomaniac bipolar dictators, who do nothing but yell at people all day to do the job that they don’t know how to do themselves. The most experienced sales person just left after being tortured by the new management team and everyone in sales is actively looking to get out of prison and does nothing all day but tell horror stories about what this once good company has become. Upper management here just walks around asking people for directions to the bathroom and hides in the office doing jigsaw puzzles. The call center looks like closing hour at a bar with a bunch of sad misfits waiting for someone to turn out the lights and put them out of there misery. The support team kuss, swear and fight the entire day and look utterly confused. The inventory Department could care less and is more concerned with going to lunch than ordering product. Not that it would matter since the company is cutoff from almost every vendor anyway. Management who runs this department just grumbles at people all day, bad mouthing everyone else in the company and saying how hard their job is, while upper management walks around smiling at people all day and wondering where they are and how they got here. The IT department has a bunch of people who just sit around all day talking about what a mess the company is and gossiping and taking bets about when it will be out of business, while management who runs it come and go as they please, and while they seem to know what they are doing but have a what’s the point everyone here is stupid so why should I bother look on there face. The only department that seems to run well is marketing that is run by the only sane management left in the company who actually treat people with respect. But what good is marketing for a company that has no product in stock to market and should be marketing a “going out of business” sign.
    No improvements will happen here as long as the owner is here. The owners never met a bad decision that he didn’t like, and on the rare occasion where he’ll actually talk to someone in his own company he’ll nod his head, say he’ll look into it and a hour later forget the conversation ever happened. He just keeps putting new people in charge and each one is worse then the one before and just when you think it can’t get any worst, it does. This is the worst company you could ever come work for and good luck finding anyone to say otherwise. The best thing you could do is prey for the people who work here and hope that they make it out alive before the for sale sign goes up on the door.

Advice to Management

Change entire management team

"This place is a joke, can't wait to find something better"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beverly, MA

I have been working at PetEdge full-time (More than a year)

Pros

lots of free parking, close to home, location, some people are friendly.

Cons

benefits suck, compensation sucks, management sucks, micromanagement from different departments. the company has been losing money for years and they keep cutting pay or not able to get things replaced. it is a revolving door here. i have seen about 50ish people let go or quit in just over a year including my manager. i still don't know who i really report to.

Advice to Management

open your eyes and ears. listen to the employees and work with them. don't tell them they are stupid.

"poor planning for company profits"

Current Employee - Marketing in Beverly, MA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Beverly, MA

I have been working at PetEdge full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

401K Insurance Wear jeans everyday

Cons

High turnover. perpetual low employee morale, overworking everyone and high expectations on productivity, no incentives to stay in the company. This place really sucks.

Advice to Management

invest in your employees, pay better wages, plan accordingly for yearly bonuses to be paid, provide raises that are worth working toward. spend a day in your employees' chair and see what they deal with everyday. Your company really sucks.

"Account Executive"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beverly, MA

I worked at PetEdge full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Colleagues were good people and the pet industry can be a fun work environment. Overall I enjoyed my time here.

Cons

Very much reactive to the market instead of proactive. Instead of trying to catch onto the lastest trend on the backend, need to focus on creating the new trend.

Advice to Management

Mgmt was a problem, I probably had 7 different managers in 3 years. Do what you do best and stop tying to compete in the wrong markets.

"Not a Good Place to Work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beverly, MA

I worked at PetEdge full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Awesome co-workers, fun industry, good location for those living on the North Shore.

Cons

Constant layoffs, awful benefits and salary, owner is way too involved, poor HR practices. I loved this job, but the ancient HR ladies and awful salary and benefits made me leave.

Advice to Management

Fire employees that need to be fired instead of keeping them around; offer competitive pay and benefits.

"Account Manager"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Beverly, MA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Beverly, MA

I have been working at PetEdge full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I can't even think of one it used to be a great place when I started it was a fun place and we made money.
    There is no leadership, no fun and no inventory. I have had enough.

Cons

Owner is cheap and dumb not a good combination, his latest choices have made him a complete joke in the eyes of the employees.

Advice to Management

Step down from power remove useless leaders

"All the bad reviews are true"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beverly, MA

Pros

Not many pros to list

Cons

Rampant mincromanaging by CEO.
    Blatent favoratism.
    Very poor holiday and time-off policy -- absolute minimum required by law and no flex time at all, only sick, and not much at that.
    Everyone is frustrated and upset. Many just want to do a good job but the absolute lack of professional empowerment is disheartening.
    I could list so many more things.

Advice to Management

Raze it. You are torturing your employees.

"This place is hell, send help"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beverly, MA

I have been working at PetEdge full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Close to the commuter rail. And theres a little bit of everything in cummings center. Thats pretty much it tho.

Cons

Ridiculous vacation policy. Terrible benefits. Arrogant management. Too much to do with not enough associates. We only get the holidays they have to give us by law. Salaries employees are all of the sudden being switched to hourly. I could keep going.

Advice to Management

Our CEO needs to take a step back and let people do their jobs. He should probably sell the company, but thatll never heppen...i honestly dont see this place ever getting any better.

"needs improvement"

Former Employee - Account Manager/Inside Sales in Beverly, MA
    Former Employee - Account Manager/Inside Sales in Beverly, MA

I worked at PetEdge full-time (More than a year)

Pros

experience with CRM, SAP, EXCELL

Cons

Poor direction and management.
    Unfair expectations for sales people especially the new sales reps. There is no support or collaboration for any improvements in the sales cycle or processes made by sales people.

Advice to Management

Collaborate, communicate, fairness, equality