Cover image for PetPeople

74% Recommend to a Friend
63% Approve of CEO

Found 105 of over 106 reviews

3.7
PetPeople CEO Carrie McDermott (no image)
Carrie McDermott

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Great coworkers(in 9 reviews)
  • "Decent training on animal nutrition, you get to see and play with lots of pets.(in 5 reviews)
  • "Good people and they care about the store(in 5 reviews)
  • "Get to see dogs and learn a lot about pet products(in 3 reviews)
  • "Awesome opportunities to learn about pet nutrition and health(in 3 reviews)
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of PetPeople and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0

awesome

Jul 29, 2022 - Sales Associate/Cashier
    Business Outlook

Pros

fun, happy, dog loving, caring

Cons

they do all things well

2. 3.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Good time

Dec 2, 2022 - Sales Associate in Cincinnati, OH
    Business Outlook

Pros

Pet animals Fun enviroment Easy systemd

Cons

Low Hours Meh Location Pay

3. Join the PetPeople team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 4.0

Great company

Oct 7, 2022 - Warehouse Supervisor
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good people. Good environment, got bought out by terrible Hollywood feed

Cons

Could have been better with raises

5. 4.0
    Current Employee

It’s okay

Sep 13, 2022 - Sales Associate
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good people and they care about the store

Cons

They make you approach customers even if they don’t want to talk

6. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Varies widely depending on location

Oct 6, 2022 - Sales Associate/Keyholder in Raleigh, NC
    Business Outlook

Pros

Decent company values Usually good coworkers Some great managers

Cons

Corporate doesn’t seem to care, CEO’s values are iffy, some managers are terrible depending on location

7. 4.0
    Current Employee

Family-like environment

Jun 3, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great knowledge and awesome coworkers

Cons

Constant changes to better serve the economy

8. 4.0

Great job

May 22, 2022 - Keyholder
    Business Outlook

Pros

Discount Helping pets Meeting pets Informing customers

Cons

Pushy standards Kinda expensive Freezer problems

9. 4.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Overall a nice retail job!

Jan 13, 2022 - Sales Associate/Key Holder in Columbus, OH
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Very flexible hours - Great coworkers - Awesome opportunities to learn about pet nutrition and health - Lots of animal interaction - Little focus on upselling (at least in the branch I worked at) - we focused on helping people find solutions that would truly work for them - Overall very stress free and relaxed, especially for a retail job - Average to below-average pay but with frequent raises and incentives, lots of product trials - Close contact with the home office and higher-ups in the company - Respectful of all races and LGBT identities

Cons

- Management can be lacking (by no means incompetent, just leaves some structure to be desired) - Outdated tech - Currently understaffed as a company - Work can be physically and emotionally strenuous at times (lots of lifting/movement + typical customer service stress), even if hours are short you'll be tired when you get home - Customers (at my location) were often very snobby, upper-crust, unwilling to listen or take input. Some take very poor care of their animals (lots of buyers from puppy mills, people buying dog breeds they aren't prepared to handle, poorly groomed dogs, etc) and this can be frustrating and upsetting. - While staff is relatively diverse and the company is dedicated to inclusion, the customers (again, at my location at least) were 95% white middle-aged homeowners. Can be stifling and many do come off as judgmental. - My biggest complaint is the product training. I come from a background in veterinary technology and pet nutrition and I feel like if I hadn't, I would've had no idea where to start with product recommendations for customers. I did learn a lot about individual products over time, but I did a lot of independent research as well. Thankfully pet nutrition is something I'm genuinely interested in. If I wasn't (and I did have a coworker or two who weren't, and it showed), this would've been a very different job and I think my recommendations to customers would've been much weaker and seemed much more salesman-like. While customers could often be standoffish, when they weren't, they'd have a LOT of questions that you would need to know the answer to, none of which were taught in the product training. ("What are the benefits of goat's milk for dogs?" "What is the difference between this brand of raw vs this brand of raw?" "What would be a good food to switch to when I've been feeding my dog a grocery store brand?" "What is DCM/should I feed my dog grain free?" etc.) It was very rewarding to feel helpful and appreciated when you know the answers to their questions and can give honest feedback based on science and personal experience. But if you don't already have that knowledge in your head and little experience with these products with your pets, you will have a very different job experience than I did. You really have to become a walking encyclopedia when it comes to dogs and their care, and I think pay should be higher and the training DEFINITELY needs to be more thorough to reflect that. Overall I still give PetPeople a high rating, as I did enjoy my time there and never dreaded showing up to work. It was great compared to other retail jobs. Please do consider the cons though and decide if this would be a suitable job for you.

1 person found this review helpful
  10. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

PetProfits

Sep 8, 2021 - Sales Associate/Keyholder
    Business Outlook

Pros

My dog's health has improved

Cons

Profits and the bottom line are more important than customer or employee satisfaction. We're expected to handhold customers, but do it quickly and get the most money out of them as possible, even if and when customers don't want or need to be bothered. Management relies heavily on nepotism, and valid complaints, concerns, ideas, etc. from store staff are dismissed or brushed under the rug as a result. My coworkers and I have issues we'd like to address, but feel as though we cannot due to the management culture. Unsurprisingly, both the clientele and employees represent very little diversity. I have some really good coworkers, but we've been taken advantage of by both store and upper-level management, and understandably, some are choosing to walk away as a result. It's a shame, because it could be so much better. The company's response to Covid has been mixed: local and state guidelines have been emphasized, but only to a degree. As new variants spread, masks are mandated for employees, and while customers are supposed to be following local guidelines, Management has specifically told employees NOT to engage customers that aren't following said guidelines, out of "fear for employee safety". This policy is incredibly aggravating for my coworkers and me who value our health and safety.

7 people found this review helpful
  11. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great People!

Apr 7, 2022 - Part Time Key Holder
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great people and great customers! The managers are always super fun and knowledgeable (without being condescending). A great place to work with great values as a company.

Cons

Corporate can be slow when handling time-sensitive documents.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 105 Reviews
</>Embed

PetPeople Reviews FAQs

PetPeople has an overall rating of 3.7 out of 5, based on over 106 reviews left anonymously by employees. 74% of employees would recommend working at PetPeople to a friend and 45% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has improved by 14% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, PetPeople employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.2 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at PetPeople. This rating has improved by 11% over the last 12 months.

74% of PetPeople employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated PetPeople 3.3 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.7 for culture and values and 3.2 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at PetPeople to be workplace, career development, coworkers and the cons to be senior leadership, benefits, management.

Popular Careers with PetPeople Job Seekers