PetSmart Reviews in Austin, TX | Glassdoor

3.4
Raymond Svider

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • It is extremely difficult to secure a full time position (in 180 reviews)

• The fact that everyone is hired in PART TIME like no I need more than 30 hours a week for rent (in 132 reviews)

"Great place to work for College Students"

Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Austin, TX

I worked at PetSmart part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible Hours
    Okay pay for a College Student
    Fun Management

Cons

Some managers are too strict/paranoid and can bring negativity into the work environment
    No upward movement (at least for me, I was there for a year and left bc there was no movement)

Advice to Management

Trust your employees, and listen to suggestions. Promote employees who deserve it, don't do so much hiring from the outside for managers. The part time and sales associates end up training the new managers.

"They don't care about you"

Former Employee - Stocker in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Stocker in Austin, TX

I worked at PetSmart full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Discount on my pets food.

Cons

No time for breaks
    Horrible management
    Micromanaging
    Lack of direction from upper management.

Advice to Management

Figure out what you really want to do before implementing idiotic and time consuming ideals, and then complain when you run a skeleton crew and it doesn't get done exactly on time.

3. "Exciting."

Former Employee - Pethotel Manager in Cedar Park, TX
    Former Employee - Pethotel Manager in Cedar Park, TX

I worked at PetSmart full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fast paced, friendly work environment. Exciting, meeting new clients and potential pet life long relationships occurring daily. Heartwarming continuing to see previous families returning.

Cons

Sometimes high school like behavior of employees looking to move up by any means could make for a hostile work environment leaving you in a position of having to watch your back.

Advice to Management

Listen to your management staff about current issues. Consult parties involved. Offer advice that applies to the situation. Remember to do as you'd have your staff doing the same.

4. "Stock Associate"

Current Employee - Stock Associate in San Marcos, TX
    Current Employee - Stock Associate in San Marcos, TX

I have been working at PetSmart (Less than a year)

Pros

The work is overall easy.

Cons

The hours. Not enough/strange times.

"Gone downhill the past year"

Current Employee - Assistant Leader in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Assistant Leader in Austin, TX

I have been working at PetSmart (More than 5 years)

Pros

The best thing about working here is the pets. It's hard to have a bad day at work when you get to be with dogs all day.

Cons

Disorganization from the top down. They implement changes without putting systems in place to make them work. For instance, we've been required to use new cleaning chemicals in the Petshotel, but we are unable to reorder these chemicals when they run out due to a glitch in the ordering system. Also, since the company went private in 2015, the focus is no longer on CARE or operating the business in an ethical manner. Now, it's all about numbers and the bottom line. This, at the expense of the pets in our care and the employees who truly want to do a good job.

Advice to Management

Try actually setting foot in the stores--especially the Petshotels and grooming salons--before mandating new things from the top down. Also, please realize that when you cut corners with labor hours, it will negatively affect the care our customers and their pets receive. Be prepared to lose business and quality employees if you continue on the course you've started.

"Stressful Job, Not worth it"

Former Employee - Professional Bather in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Professional Bather in Austin, TX

Pros

Customers were wonderful.
    Getting to work with pets.
    Easy to move up and become a groomer.

Cons

My team was not supportive at all
    There were certain problem employees that would start drama and bicker, but there were no consequences for their actions.
    Overloaded busy schedules, rushed employees, endless stress, lack of safety, never having enough time for lunch, multiple OSHA violations

Advice to Management

From the perspective of a lower level employee, upper level management was completely clueless about how to run things. They would occasionally sweep in, demand that more rules be added on to endless list of rules, and then leave things more problematic than when they came in. Less help is more. At the end of the day you don't understand what it takes to work a lower level job efficiently.

7. "Very happy with my job"

Current Employee - Pet Stylist in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Pet Stylist in Austin, TX

I have been working at PetSmart part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I get to work on the weekends. I have a super flexible schedule and can request to work whenever I have free time. Not all locations have a wonderful managers like my current store. Grooming dogs makes me happy and the money is great.

Cons

Hiring incompetent people for the job.

"Fun job if you like animals! (Petsylist review)"

Former Employee - Pet Stylist in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Pet Stylist in Austin, TX

Pros

- 50% commission
    - The dogs
    - Seeing happy customer after transforming their pets.
    - Co workers
    - privacy from the core store

Cons

Where do i start?! After working for petsmart for 8 years i was burnout.
    - Customers can be rude and treat you like crap
    - manager (like in any job) can make or break the job
    - High stress level if you're at a busy store
    - low volume store- you end up competing for dogs with co workers.
    - Most salons will have their share of drama if you don't have a good team.

Advice to Management

- pay close attention to your employees not just your customers
    - better training for groomers
    - don't take advantage of employees
    - reward system for employees.

9. "Pet Stylist"

Current Employee - Pet Stylist in Round Rock, TX
    Current Employee - Pet Stylist in Round Rock, TX

I have been working at PetSmart full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing state-of-the-art equipment. Great safety training. My salon is very clean. Culture is great!

Cons

i wish more hands-on training with the booking system... not as user friendly as i envisioned.

Advice to Management

maybe a few days sitting in computer with real software training

"Really good people, good company; stress to animals in salon"

Former Employee - Dog Bather in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Dog Bather in Austin, TX

I worked at PetSmart (Less than a year)

Pros

I found the people I worked with (the Salon) to be friendly and kind. The manager I worked for was appreciative, fair-minded and flexitble. The manager of the store and other staff were always pleasant and helpful. The policies were reasonable and the company's promises of valuing their employees in the training documentation were sincere and evident. I was impressed when I left that I received follow up calls from the store to see if I wanted to return to work for them. Overall it was a good environment in terms of the people I worked with, those in middle management and other employees.

Cons

I found that certain aspects of working with the animals in the Salon difficult to tolerate. There was a fair amount of stress for the animals on a regular basis. I discussed this briefly with my manager, but it was seen as part of the status quo, which asserts that a certain amount of stress is expected for the animals given the services provided.

There was also a fair amount of stress on the bathers and groomers, because the company wants to keep the calendar full. I felt it was not conducive to a good experience for the animals, and something I wouldn't be able to help change, although I wanted to. I worked with a good team of people, and enjoyed the helpful environment.

I want to add that there were positive checks and balances in place to monitor the dogs throughout their salon stay. A good deal of emphasis was placed on the safety and protection of the animals, but in the end, it's a very fast-paced environment and I felt that some of the animals weren't suited for that salon.

Despite the compassion of the manager of the salon and the staff, the pace of the appointments weren't going to be changed by the company, which was an upper management decision. For that reason, despite enjoying my work and being valued and treated well, I left the position.

Advice to Management

Revisit scheduling policies and hire a full-time bather / support person solely responsible for taking up the slack and providing relief for the animals and bathers.

Showing 33 of 3,357 reviews