PetSmart Reviews | Glassdoor

PetSmart President & CEO Michael Massey
Michael Massey

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • It is extremely difficult to secure a full time position (in 163 reviews)

• The fact that everyone is hired in PART TIME like no I need more than 30 hours a week for rent (in 115 reviews)

1. "Low Moral"

I worked at PetSmart full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great group of people to work with.

Cons

Company is on a downward spiral.

2. "Store Leader"

I have been working at PetSmart full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Not much anymore. Working with pets. Nothing else to say. If you like to feel beat up and depressed then this is for you.

Cons

The partners that took over and took us private completely destroyed what once was a great company. Pressure to perform is at most times not realistic. Stores now have a customer service model that could work well but now we have at most times only 2 associates in the store to help customers so it's pointless. Stores have to look grand opening ready at all times of the day "or else!" Oh yeah and keep your metrics up "or else!" A ton of great leaders have been let go or been driven away. It's sad. Constant job threats are the norm.

Advice to Management

Take care of your employees and they will take care of your company.

"This was the first job I hated."

Former Employee - Head Cashier in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Head Cashier in Denver, CO

I worked at PetSmart full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-seeing animals

-positive interactions with customers/coworkers

-fairly consistent schedules

Cons

-Customers were AWFUL. I've worked in several customer service jobs, but for some reason they were terrible here. You constantly have to deal with fraudulent returns and people who think they are better than you.

-Horrible training. They make you watch videos for like 6 hours and then that's it. My first day training as a cashier, my manager said she likes to just have people jump in. They had someone else who worked there for 2 weeks show me how the cash register worked, and that was it.

-Managers all said different things. One would tell me I was doing something wrong, when another manager told me to do it that way.

-They say that you should never tell a customer "I don't know." I took this to heart. I don't like lying to people, so I would find a manager if I didn't know an answer. They got annoyed that I would always come to them for help, but I was never trained in all the questions that customers would ask. Customers consistently ask you questions that should be asked of a veterinarian, and managers expect you to give them an answer. I personally witnessed several managers give customers bad animal advice simply so they would buy something.

-All the company cares about is MONEY, MONEY MONEY. I originally wanted to work here because of all the great work PetSmart Charities does. I quickly learned it is all a marketing scheme. You would get in trouble if you weren't selling something to every customer that walked through the door because they have monitors above the door that count each customer that walks in. They compare the amount of customers to the amount of transactions in a day, and expect unrealistic sales.

-When I became full time, they NEVER told me what that meant. I simply thought it meant I would get 40 hours a week, but it also meant that if I was sick one day, you have to make up for it later in the same week. You cannot go below 36 hours in the workweek. This was extremely frustrating because my part-time coworkers were consistently getting 4-8 hours a week, and I couldn't give them any of my shifts, even if I wanted to.

Advice to Management

You need better in-person training. You need to give up corporate greed, and actually care about the animals and your employees.

4. "Liked it before Petsmart was bought out"

Current Employee - Petcare Specialist
    Current Employee - Petcare Specialist

I have been working at PetSmart part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work with animals, non management employees help make it fun.

Cons

The customers can be a little crazy, only get 10-15 hours a week, customer service takes preference to animal care.

Advice to Management

The animals lives should be TOP priority!

"Don't wast your time."

Former Employee - Assistant Store Leader in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Leader in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at PetSmart full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some really good people trapped in a horrible company.

Cons

The hedge fund group that owns the company. I got my first taste at how little they knew how to run a business when the upper management team posted a video for the store stating that they've made a lot of mistakes, were sorry, but that we are expected to still do our jobs and essentially bail them out of their stupidity. They make changes on a weekly and, at times, daily basis. They reverse course without explanation, and have driven out numerous leaders, potential leaders, and tenured personnel to bring in their own corporate pawns who have experience in destroying other companies (Payless Shoes) and no experience on how to take care of or retain their employees.

Advice to Management

Sell to someone who gives a damn about developing the business and not bleeding it dry.

6. "A Retailer Establishment waiting for a disaster"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at PetSmart (More than a year)

Pros

So this is going to be a biography about PetSmart (Retail. Can't speak for Corporate...) We'll start with the pro's because I like to start positive before starting negative. My approach will be The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly.

The Good:

Meet some pretty cool pet parents, work with cool co workers with story backgrounds with their pets, and sometimes meet some epic managers that cares about their associates growth, and love to assist customers and help them try and save money (Because PetSmart is NOT cheap.) Along the path of this company, you'll also sometimes meet the most down to earth distract managers ever. Mine was awesome! Had two BEAUTIFUL Great Danes that were slobber mouth kissers that just melted my heart away! Benefits were alright. The 15% helps a lot, along with the 35% off a bag per month only applying to PetSmart brands. Sometimes though, it's best not to use your 15% off on consumer deals because at times, those deals are superior than the 15%.

Cons

The Bad:

Benefits I mention are alright; however, as a park timer, you hardly get anything. You only get 4% of the benefits, whereas full time you get the entire package. Recalling in other retail establishments I worked at as a part timer, I had better packages available to me; like Home Depot as an example.
    Paid time off and Vacation time off doesn't really exist for part timers, and it's a struggle to receive. Working there since Feb of 2017 up to August 2017, I received 0 paid time and vacation. At Home Depot, I had it set and ready for me at disposal. You also meet the bad side of pet parents. Lot of the times, they're just uneducated. Have yet met a abused one, then again, they wouldn't survive long here in this area if they were THAT abusive. My area is a animal lover area. Back to the uneducated part, I also had some uneducated management that didn't even know where the schedule is put at till a week later when the store manager comes in, and I had to baby him about the schedule. Answers "It's in there", yet I challenged him and brought nothing but last weeks paperwork. Puzzled, he act as though he just put the schedule in there. Wrong...

The Ugly:

Here comes to most ugliest part of all. Management. Now I mention my management team was awesome. But I'm talking the grunts. Store manager AND ASM (Assistant Manager), both were extremely god awful. If I was my district manager, I would've fired both of them and promote one, if not, two of my most fav managers in that store (Won't say names) because they actually CARE for both associates AND customers, and actually WORKED. These two was the recipe of disaster. The second ugliest part was enforcing puppy guides like credit cards to customers, and email captures like loan givers. Cramming down our customers throats to where they get irritated, and start spitting nails. My answer 80% of the time has been "Complain to corporate. This is their scheme and idea. My manager will not care for your words." Even then, they get pissy about that too. Sadly, it is true. Because at the end, reason why we crammed these two down our customers throats is because it's a rat race against all of the other stores throughout the local valley. It's the store managers bonus, whereas the associates gets 0. Another major con. Least Home Depot gave their associates a small bonus end of each quarter for the most credit cards.
    My last ugly comment is the position I was "hired" for. Hint the ""? Yea, I was suppose to be a early morning stocker, but instead was tricked into cashiering. My store manager stated "Cross training", whereas 90% of my shifts have involved into cashiering and 10% early morning stocker. Finally openly admits "There's no area of position in PetSmart. You're everywhere." Bull crap, for that's FALSE ADVERTISEMENT! Unethical, deceiving, and bad way to promote your business for employees seeking jobs.

Advice to Management

First: Learn the people's work history before assigning them to store management. Bad leaders will have bad associates, which eventually lead to a revolving door.
    Second: Ditch email capture. Puppy guides is alright, for it promotes sales and also helps customers save money, but email capture scares away customers because as a customer, they want to get in and get out. Or simply social and converse about other things.
    Third: For god sakes, do not deceive the people who apply. Update your website, and tell the associates what positions are available. HIRE people who follow what's AVAILABLE, and not make stuff up. This will eventually bite you in the rear.

Also, dumb down the age restriction to 16. 18 year olds are going to quit and leave after a month or two because 10 - 15 hours a week is not livable wage for part time, topping the 10.07 an hour wage. You're practically starving your employees, and both of those is more high school work and pay.

7. "salon leader/manager"

Former Employee - Salon Manager in Gilroy, CA
    Former Employee - Salon Manager in Gilroy, CA

I worked at PetSmart full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get a 15% discount on stuff you buy there. THAT IS THE ONLY GOOD THING, but even then they dont even sell quality products.

Cons

THE BEST INTEREST IS NOT ON PETS ITS SOLELY ON THEIR POCKETBOOKS !!!! EVERYTHING FROM BEING TREATED TERRIBLY BY UPPER MANAGEMENT, constantly being bullied by them even if you have built the place up and are hitting weekly sales goal it doesnt matter they will never pay you what you are worth.

Advice to Management

Management and HR should be more mindful and pay close attention to the way they treat employees! you will eventually wind up with a nice fat lawsuit.

"RUN FAR AWAY"

Former Employee - Petcare and Cashier Lead in South Florida, FL
    Former Employee - Petcare and Cashier Lead in South Florida, FL

I worked at PetSmart full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great working with the animals and if you like working retail, its actually very fulfilling. You have the opportunity to truly teach customers the real way to care for animals and its nice to know you can make the difference.

Cons

Way too much work load, always understaffed. They consistently have cut back hours for the past year trying to save a penny, but expect the same standards. ITS NOT POSSIBLE. They basically pay minimum wage. They will give you maybe $0.10-$0.50 above and proudly tell you that they don't pay minimum wage. You get 3 reviews in the first year (well you're supposed to anyway, but most managers fail to do it), where you are supposed to be able to earn a raise. The maximum you can earn with all 5 star reviews on your report is $0.10. I had a nicer manager who told me this when I first started working here. He was very upfront about everything. The company got rid of titles, so instead of being Cashier Lead, you would be a "full-time cashier" no title. no pay raise. all the responsibility and then some. If you are lucky, you will have a manager stand behind their employees in front of customers, unfortunately it seems corporate has been systematically getting rid of those managers. You will be yelled at, cussed at, even have things thrown at you, and managers will bow and scrape and COMPLETELY IGNORE RETURN POLICIES to keep the customer happy. Customers quickly learn if they throw a tantrum, they will get whatever they want. Some managers will tell you to give people the prescription food without the RX card because they bought it before. This is ILLEGAL and I have blatantly refused and told the manager they can do the sale if they want. No one has ever talked back on that, because they KNOW its against policy and illegal. The culture is veering away from caring about the animals. Even though we all signed contracts saying we can refuse the sale of a pet to a customer if we think it is an "inappropriate home" (those are the exact words in the contract), some managers will tell you, you can't refuse. Its a great place if you can still find a store with managers that care, but as i said before corporate has done a good job of wheedling them out and bringing in managers from Red Lobster, or Outback or Lowe's (omg the Lowe's so many of them!) who know NOTHING about animals.

Advice to Management

You already make enough money, stop focusing on who much more you can make and go back to quality. Also, if managers are losing whole teams at a time and have high turnover rate and have been complained about to HR multiple times, maybe its time to let go of that manager.

9. "11 years of leadership service..."

Former Employee - Store Leader
    Former Employee - Store Leader

I worked at PetSmart full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The absolute best part of my career with Petsmart were the pets and their parents.

Cons

The main reason for applying and staying with Petsmart for 11 years was the passion. Passion for pets and people. With the new ownership (BC Partners) Petsmart has become nothing more than a cash cow. The days of having time to genuinely interact with our pet parents is over. Now the focus conversion, email capture and a poorly designed freight management system has become the priority.
    The old saying "people don't leave bad companies, they leave bad managers is true.
    My particular DM had his favorites...it was clear. How does one go from top in the company to being forced out? I'll never know.
    If animals are truly your passion....this may not be the place for you.

Advice to Management

HR really needs to look at the leadership in this company. Shame on you .

10. "Not Great Workplace environment"

I worked at PetSmart part-time

Pros

friends, nice associates, decent hours,

Cons

the management was unbearable, they played favorites and were going through employees at an insane rate

Showing 369 of 3,123 reviews