PetSmart Reviews | Glassdoor

Raymond Svider

3,395 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • It is extremely difficult to secure a full time position (in 180 reviews)

• The pay works best if part time (in 131 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"If you are passionate about animals this is a great place to work ."

Pros

Lots of animal interaction of many ages and sizes. Make new furry friends daily, share experiences and smiles with all.

Cons

Very hands on, fast pace atmosphere, must be able to multitask.

"How bad do you want a job?"

Former Employee - Cashier in Glen Carbon, IL
    Former Employee - Cashier in Glen Carbon, IL

Pros

You get to know lots of interesting people.

Cons

You have to clean up dog sh*t or any other type of animal waste which presents itself. Petsmart has stupid promotions that they expect you to PUSH down customers' throats. Store management didn't know sh*t from shinola. Even though they didn't know anything, they'd still go ahead with anything they thought was a good idea even when everybody else knew it was a bunch of sh*t. Management is often a bunch of bean-counters.

Advice to Management

Listen to your subordinates. Scratch their back and they'll scratch yours. You're not as smart as you think you are.

"Aurora Petshotel is a horrible place to work."

Current Employee - GSA in Aurora, IL
    Current Employee - GSA in Aurora, IL

Pros

You get to work with animals

Cons

The Management at this store was the most unprofessional staff I have ever worked for. They treat people like they are below them, and are all friends with eachother so if something happens and you need to turn to someone there is nobody because theyare all friends with one another and tell eachother everything. When it comes to bonus time they have tried to get out of paying for medical bills for staff and for hurt animals because they are almost at their limit for the year and another complaint will look bad against them.

Advice to Management

Hire people who do the job and don't keep people there just because they are friends. Pay attention to the fact that in less than 6 months you go through over 30 staff in the hotel - this should be a red flag that something is wrong!!!

"PetSmart is very demanding, but a good place to get experience with how the business world runs."

Current Employee - Pet Trainer in Mentor, OH
    Current Employee - Pet Trainer in Mentor, OH

Pros

If you like working in the retail industry, and love animals it's a great place but it is very demanding.

Cons

You have a lot of managers (bosses) walking around constantly ordering you to do more. The weekends are the highest sale days, so you'll be working them. The communication is very poor between management and employees.

Advice to Management

With the low pay, employees need to be treated fairly, otherwise the high turnover rate will just continue. Better training would also be great, plus realistic demands on the employees. You can only sell so much in the economy.

5. "Don't expect to work there long..."

Current Employee - Pet Care Specialist
    Current Employee - Pet Care Specialist

Pros

You get to work with animals... PetSmart is also one of few companies that partner with the humane society and other animal shelters to help find dogs and cats homes vs. selling puppy mill animals.

Cons

There are probably 4 managers on duty during the day and 3 at night... There's no communication between any of them ever. You get told to do the same thing over-and-over again - even if the task has been completed. If you ask for a day off, make sure you tell ALL of the managers you can... as there will be one who forgets and writes you up for not coming into work without notice. Expect to be called in on days you have off and called to not show up for days your scheduled (chances are you'll show up for work and they'll send you home an hour in (of your eight hour shift) after you arrive). Don't expect a steady money flow at all...

The training for the job (especially to work in the pet hotel) is sub-standard. Many of the new hires have never owned a dog and are now expected to be able to break up a fight... One manager allowed a Labrador that had bitten several other dogs ( sometimes needing stitches, an eye patch, and ointments) to come back every day (as this made them money).

When it comes to the time they don't need you... be expected to be written up for "walking slow" "poor communication" and various other things you did not do (this usually makes the employees quit) - their employee turnover rate is ridiculous. I'm lucky to still be working there... but not happy about it.

Don't expect to work and go to school at the same time either.

Advice to Management

Managers - Start treating your employees with a little respect. If you schedule them for work keep your word. I can't even count the number of times I've canceled plans because of getting called in. Stress levels are always high which the customers can see. Many employees are scared to leave their work stations to help a customer in fear of a manager calling them lazy - thereby making them the next one to be written up and fired. We all realize that the company is out to make a profit, but it's impossible to have over-whelming sales in a bad economy and with upset employees.

6. "totally sucks to work here"

Current Employee - Cashier in Albany, CA
    Current Employee - Cashier in Albany, CA

Pros

other than getting paid weekly, there are none.

Cons

they pay you crappy wages, they are not very flexible with the scheduling, they do not like you to request time off, basically if you have other things going on they expect you to drop everything for a crappy job that pays you nothing. also the management does not respect or care about it's part time employees other than the select few.

Advice to Management

give a damn about your employees

"Store 1194, New Hartford"

Current Employee - Lead Cashier in New Hartford, NY
    Current Employee - Lead Cashier in New Hartford, NY

Pros

Interactive environment with people and their pets can be rewarding. People appreciate that you take an interest in their personal life that they share with their pets.

Cons

Management is simply aweful. As someone with a Bachelor's Degree, I can safely say that the management here is simply not "on the ball."

Advice to Management

Learn your craft and treat people with the same amount of respect that you want to be treated with. It's a team environment and you should be part of that team.

"I was taking my pet to class, the trainer N store manager asked it I wanted to be a pet trainer and now...bait N switch"

Current Employee - Pet Trainer But Cashier Bait N Switch in Brownsville, TX
    Current Employee - Pet Trainer But Cashier Bait N Switch in Brownsville, TX

Pros

Love being in a workplace where pets are #1
    The new hire workbook is very well done. I was impressed.

Cons

I was not looking for a job nor do I need a job. I was pursued by the Store Manager and current Pet Trainer to fill the second spot for pet training. My dog is in classes for social activities and is very advanced. Many of the other pet parents come to me for advice and that is why the Store Manger hired me.
    I was told that I would be trained in floor and cash register so that I can sell classes when I do not have a class. I was told I would be sent right away to the Train the Trainer classes...

Bait N Switch
    I am either on the floor or cashier. I sell the classes but am not getting to teach since they have yet to send me to the training for it. I also understand that there is a commision for the person training the class no matter who sold it. I do no care about the money but the principle behind it. I would be a trainer as a voulenteer full time 40 hrs a week, I have a passion for it. But when it comes to being on a cash register for 8 hrs, that is not the job I signed up for. I do not mind selling classes, I actully enjoy it. I love to see the pets and pet parents learn how to be happy together.

Now on to the rest: My back ground, retired GM, VP/Director of Marketing
    After the hiring training I was so pumped of what a great learning material it was, I thought it would be carried through to the rest of my training. Little did I know that it ended there.

Register trainging consisted of being given the register booklet for 30 minutes without guidance at the end of my shift. I did not work for 4 days after that and was put on the register after being given my employee number. I was left alone without any review or help. I was not shown how to call someone if I need help. I was not show things like returns, checks, giftcard, ect. I was not shown how to know when to go to lunch or break.
    I asked the manager if she could go over the breaks and lunches with me, she told me that I get 1 break, 1 lunch and if she feels like it later depending on her mood she may give me another break after my lunch.

Now onto why I am the only person in the store that is told to straighten and not face front. I was told that I needed to match upc codes with merchandise and pull the things that did not have a home. I did my job and had a basket full from one aisle. The manager started just putting stuff in any slot to take it out of the basket. When I questioned if I had done it wrong she said no, but that the upper mangers will be pist if they see baskets with merchandise out. When I asked why she told me to face front only to put it back and (taking from my marketing and GM days knowing that if there is that much items that dont belong that come audit time they would be getting a bad mark) she stopped putting it back and just huffed and took it the back of the store. That Basket has been the none stop barkfest...of OH your the one. I was told to put it all back the next time I worked and when I questioned why was I told to pull it in the first place I was told that I should not question. To set an example the manager scanned an item to show me that it did have a spot and the item priced at .01 cent. It was discontinued another was in recall and so on and so forth. Now I am told to straighter and every one is told to face front....is that another word for lazy straighting.

I have been very dissappointed with my time at pet smart.

Management has zero respect for employees, there is no teamwork, managers only speak to us when we are making errors. For a new hire to only be told they are doing it wrong and then over hear the manager complain to the other managers is horrible.

I have never had a job that I could not stand, but I believe I just found it. I love working with the customers and building up my sales. Brings me back to the good old days of getting awards for my sales numbers. I love signing up pet parents for classes so dogs will have a forever home and not be put in shelters for misbehavior.
    But the inconsistency of management and the high school mentallity is just to much. I think I will go get trained on my own and teach fosters as a volunteer.....ta ta Pet smart

Advice to Management

District managers should come in and do spot checks or merchandise. Store manager should follow through on his word. Management need to respect employees. To much more to write without making this a book

"Thoughts"

Current Employee - Cashier in Webster, NY
    Current Employee - Cashier in Webster, NY

Pros

Easy job, fun environment good for first time job or part time.

Cons

Unorganized workplace, Management not skilled, have to learn by trial and error not taught proper company policies, or what is expected of you. Commonly scheduled odd shifts that frequently fluctuate.

Advice to Management

Take the time to train employees.

"An entry level job that leads to no where"

Current Employee - Pet Care Specialist in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Pet Care Specialist in Houston, TX

Pros

The benefits package for the healthcare plan.

Cons

The managers are content with their positions therefore they are not advocates in recognizing lower level employees for promotions. The pay is horrible. The managers do not communicate the reasoning for hour cuts or the need for crosstraining. There is no type of "emotional intelligence" in management. We have employees begging to be moved up because they are now qualified (bachelor's degrees or better) for upper level employment.

Advice to Management

Petsmart is a great concept that needs managers to match the magnitude of these concepts and ideas.

Showing 3,395 of 3,422 reviews