PetSmart Reviews | Glassdoor

2,836 reviews

Full-time Part-time

2,836 Employee Reviews

Pros
Cons
  • It is extremely difficult to secure a full time position (in 147 reviews)

• Didn't like being forced to be part time (in 108 reviews)

"Thank you PetSmart corporation"

Former Employee - Dog Groomer in Longmont, CO
    Former Employee - Dog Groomer in Longmont, CO

I worked at PetSmart (More than a year)

Pros

Friends co-workers pets and customers

Cons

I'm honestly done with any corporations, but then again this isn't a career this is a job to get you by

Advice to Management

I just wanted to say a big shout-out to PETSMART CORPORATIONS!
    Thank you for making me realize what my misatkes where.

Thank you for being unlawful and incoderate of your employees.
    Thank you for making me realize that your business was more important than my life.
    Having me put in an action plan because of bad weather and icy roads that I attempted to drive on! It made me realize that my job was more important than my life!
    You made me realize that your employees don't matter!
    Your unlawfull willness to have your employees work seven days in a row without consent is unjustified. You thought you could walk all over me and treat me like a slave in your department, you where wrong.
    You have many loop holes and I have a lot of will power to achieve my goals but the goals you set are ridiculous.
    You have changed my hours in order to keep me just under 40 hours so that you don't have to pay me.
    This is ilegal and un called for. I have documentation of everything that has went wrong in this line of work. I didn't stand for it. I put in my two weeks and you fired me and another great employee which is screwing over the rest of your employees. Unjustified rights of action PetSmart.

"Lacks Transparency through out the Company!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at PetSmart full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Open door policy is openly communicated

Cons

Training is lacking when being promoted or hired into a Leadership position usually having to learn as you go. Investigations are not done properly when accusations are brought up about a member of leadership. Leadership position do not get coached they can be terminated on the spot because of the position they hold which does not allow for a proper investigation majority of the time. Accused may not provide evidence that will prove the accusations are false. The accused are usually not allowed to participate or be involved with the investigation. Human Resource department are not present for terminations (in person or on a call). Termination can happen from immediate date of accusation or can happen over a month later from the date the incident happened (allows information/documents that would help the investigation to be destroyed because its only held/available for 30 days per Policy and Procedure). After termination HR nor Leadership members will not return calls or messages to discuss termination. Third party CARESmart is not taken seriously to help associates concerns. Never placed on a action plan (write up) for work performance or behavior issues the 8 1/2 years employed with PetSmart but still terminated.

Advice to Management

Can quickly move up in the company but just as quickly be terminated. Excelled in 7 positions usually being promoted in less then 2 years from any position i held.

"inside joke is "you've been promoted to customer"."

Former Employee - Operations Supervisor in Bethel, PA
    Former Employee - Operations Supervisor in Bethel, PA

I worked at PetSmart full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company was good until it went from publicly traded company to a private firm. (Not a positive)
    I currently don't see a future for this company.

Cons

This company is the run lean stage, typical Massey trait. It's not good when he doesn't understand that running lean only runs businesses into the ground. My opinion is that he didn't learn his lesson from Office Depot.

Advice to Management

Stop being so greedy and focus on engagement and development.

5. "Average summer job (Petshotel)"

Former Employee - Petsmart PetsHotel Associate in Fremont, CA
    Former Employee - Petsmart PetsHotel Associate in Fremont, CA

I worked at PetSmart part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Got to be with dogs and cats all day
    Average shifts (4-8 hours)
    Average pay for a HS/college student
    Fairly flexible schedule
    Learned about dog and cat behavior

Cons

LOTS of favoritism among employees-I was a newbie and half the employees were nice and the other half looked down on me and gave me a hard time
    My manager was ALWAYS in a bad mood and once yelled at me for checking on the cats because "as a new employee, you're not supposed to be in the cat room" even though I EXPLICITLY stated to her in my interview that I had more experience with cats than dogs.
    Most of the employees didn't care for animals/had no experience with animals and just wanted money. Those who did have experience working with animals somehow always stayed working reception??

Advice to Management

Treat all your employees fairly, no matter how new or old they are.
    Don't hire people who clearly don't like animals.

6. "Groomer"

Current Employee - Dog Groomer in South Euclid, OH
    Current Employee - Dog Groomer in South Euclid, OH

I have been working at PetSmart part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great management
    Flexible hours

Cons

hectic environment
    stresses situations

"Observation"

Former Employee - EARLY MORNING STOCKER in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - EARLY MORNING STOCKER in Plano, TX

I worked at PetSmart full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

As a company, PetSmart is incredibly charitable in its' commitment to helping animals.

Cons

As a company, PetSmart is Not charitable or helpful to its' employees. From the very day I started working as a stocker, I was promised full-time status. I was to be replacing a fellow employee who was leaving. I received, on average, between 30 and 40 hours per week. This, for maybe 3 months. Then they started hiring part-time help. My hours were cut so severely, it wasn't worth the drive to work.

Advice to Management

I can't assist customers if the "one pallet per hour" rule is strictly enforced. As a stocker under such a rule, customers suffer.

"Good company but changing"

Current Employee - Pet Care Associate in Duluth, GA
    Current Employee - Pet Care Associate in Duluth, GA

I have been working at PetSmart full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits and they are moving back to better training, you get to interact with animals all day

Cons

At this point training depends on your store team. If you're lucky enough to get full time(only management now to my knowledge) you MUST have open availability. Non-negoitable, I've had associates I've worked with for 10+ years fired over it. With the new owners, they are still finding their footing with P&Ps. Otherwise, I would recommend. Wouldn't have stayed as long as I have and I have life long friends because of it.

"Rude managers"

Current Employee - Cashier in Douglasville, GA
    Current Employee - Cashier in Douglasville, GA

I have been working at PetSmart part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Seeing sweet animals and customers are pretty friendly

Cons

The managers at my store all seem to have an attitude and act like your stupid or that they are better than you. They also do zero training what so ever. Expect you to know everything and throw you in on your first day

Advice to Management

Don't be so snarky. GET WALKIE TALKIES FOR CASHIERS. Actually train your employees

"That escalated quickly"

Former Employee - Analyst in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Analyst in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at PetSmart full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

can bring pets to work

Cons

Another review said it this is no longer the same old PetSmart. That in and of itself is not a bad thing. Prior to going private, the management team was clearly making short term decisions as most public companies with quarterly earnings calls are wont to do. When the PE people took over, it was honestly fine that they riffed a bunch of dead weight to make the company more efficient. Unfortunately, this was about the limit of their leadership prowess. I have not before encountered a management team with such an undeserved sense of self worth. Despite coming in and talking good game about building and sustaining a highly performing company, their have made some head scratching decisions. If their goal truly is to position this company for the long term, I have to say they simply are not good at their jobs.

On the other hand, despite the whopping nigh $9B price tag they paid for the company, the LPs only actually coughed up around $2B in equity for an asset with something like $1B in annual ebitda....so barring the company going under quickly it is clear the equity partners will get their return, bondholders might get waxed, and perhaps this has been management's true goal all along. In that case, I guess they are good at what they do. Worth adding PetSmart debt is trading at around $93 on secondary markets. (all this is publicly available information).

Advice to Management

Why bother? They are all getting paid, and i'm guessing that's their top priority. In any event, management never struck me as very introspective. My guess is all legitimate advice would be written off as the ramblings of a malcontent.

"Former CEL"

Former Employee - Customer Engagement Leader in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Customer Engagement Leader in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at PetSmart full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You get to work with animals. Some managers are nice. You constantly have to throw meaningless events. You can never separate work and home because you end up spending more time at work than anywhere else.

Cons

Unrealistic expectations. They count customers and get angry if everyone who walks through the door doesn't buy anything it's a pet store people always come in to look! The district managers are constantly going on foreign sprees and give no warning. The company is always pushing something onto customers to buy, which causes them to become angry and annoyed. Petsmart does not take care of their employees, they give you so much to get done but they don't give your store hours for employees to get it done. Managers then have to stay late and work days off just to accomplish anything. District leaders are ver condescending and lack compassion, if you don't enjoy your job leave. Do not take it out on your employees.

Advice to Management

More hours for employees to actually get things done. So managers don't have to give up days off and stay late. Stop firing good employees and actually take the time to develop them.

Showing 2,836 of 2,859 reviews