PetSmart Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated June 25, 2017
2,962 reviews

Full-time Part-time

2,962 Employee Reviews

Pros
  • employee safety while working with animals is important to employer (in 249 reviews)

• I get to learn a lot about how to take care of animals (in 37 reviews)

Cons
  • It is extremely difficult to secure a full time position (in 155 reviews)

• Didn't like being forced to be part time (in 111 reviews)

"Overnight = No Customers"

Current Employee - Night Pet Care Specialist in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Night Pet Care Specialist in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at PetSmart part-time (More than a year)

Pros

NO customers! I came from working with children everyday and a retail background and was so burnt out from the typical "how may I help you" job, this was/ is a great change of pace. Independence and freedom to get the job done without a boss breathing down your neck. The job isn't glamorous but if you understand what you do is a vital part of the business and you are there to help the dogs by keeping a clean house you feel like life's not so bad.

Cons

The corporate model fails the floor level employees often. Most recent example "if it is too hot in the atrium please write a note with the hours it's too hot and the manager will write a work order to change the thermostat". My schedule is often unpredictable, sometimes working Thur, Sat, Sun and sometimes Tues, Wed, Sat. Sometimes being alone means you have to "use your best judgement" which can be scary when you first start working.

Advice to Management

Keeping open and clear lines of communication with the overnight employees needs to be top priority. If we don't see from you for a whole week it's hard to let Managers know what needs to be fixed/ solved/ ordered. The Seniors are not a substitute for Managers. Also be more generous with overnight hours, the overnight team is the backbone for maintaining the hotel and when our hours are cut the hotel suffers. The holiday profits should mediate/ justify having overnight staff on a regular schedule during off season, there is always something to be fixed/ cleaned/ put together.

2. "Cashier"

Current Employee - Cashier in Newport, KY
    Current Employee - Cashier in Newport, KY

I have been working at PetSmart part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Love seeing all the animals and friendly faces to come in!

Cons

Some people are very passionate when it comes to their animals which leads to them being angry

Advice to Management

Keep doi what you're doing!

3. ""Decent for Part-Time""

Current Employee - Pet Care Specialist in Chico, CA
    Current Employee - Pet Care Specialist in Chico, CA

I have been working at PetSmart part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working with animals is fun and makes shifts go by fast. There is always something new happening and always a different way to think outside the box. It has given me more knowledge about animals that I knew nothing about and allows creative ways of fixing issues.

Cons

long hours standing and moving around. A lot of the time people from the shift before you or after you do things differently and sometimes forget the actual pet care part of the job. Dealing with sick animals that sometimes have fleas and mites has the potential to get my own animals at home sick.

Advice to Management

Be more friendly with staff and create a sense of community. Keep expectations in the realm of possibility and don't let unrealistic goals you set make you frustrated when they do noot get done.

"They don't care about you"

Former Employee - Stocker in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Stocker in Austin, TX

I worked at PetSmart full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Discount on my pets food.

Cons

No time for breaks
    Horrible management
    Micromanaging
    Lack of direction from upper management.

Advice to Management

Figure out what you really want to do before implementing idiotic and time consuming ideals, and then complain when you run a skeleton crew and it doesn't get done exactly on time.

5. "Customer service Cashier Stocking Selling animals"

Current Employee - Petcare Associate in Seal Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Petcare Associate in Seal Beach, CA

I have been working at PetSmart part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great first job
    Flexible working hours
    Can get any day off basically
    Employee discount of 15% or 50% if your dog eats "only natural pet" (which they should because it's one of the best dog foods to feed your dog)

Cons

You have to be eighteen years or older
    Everyone learns to be cashier
    Minimum wage
    Deal with a lot of crazy people and shoplifting

Advice to Management

Higher pay, more variety of animals!

"It All Depends"

Former Employee - Pet Care Associate in Kildeer, IL
    Former Employee - Pet Care Associate in Kildeer, IL

I worked at PetSmart part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you like animals and educating people on how to properly care for them, you'll like this job. You get to see dogs and puppies all day, and if you work in pet care you get to be responsible for caring for the small animals. My favorite thing to do was to get fish for people. If you work with a good mix of people and enjoy being with your coworkers, the job can be a lot of fun.

Cons

If you have a crappy manager, the job will not be as fun because you get to deal with someone who isn't helpful and schedules you all wrong. Also, since it's retail, you get all that customer b.s. too.

Advice to Management

Actually care about employees and animals; when employees feel taken care of and respected, they will care about their job and do well for the company. Also, if you work at a place that's all about animals, you should probably give a darn what happens to them.

"Robbing talented and profitable groomers"

Current Employee - Dog Groomer in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Dog Groomer in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at PetSmart full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Managers handle most issues
    Can turn away aggressive dogs
    Decent, clean, fair priced
    Paid vacation

Cons

%40 for 6 months after doing 200 dogs
    Forced to maintain and exceed amount of grooms per day
    Unable to receive "raises" unless you work harder (take more dogs per day)
    If you're trying to be a groomer and do not have a salon leader for some reason, you will be looked over until it's convenient for store management to put you through schooling. No matter how much potential you have.

Advice to Management

Recognize good groomers and reward those who excel after the 200 dog training. 6 months is too long at %40 for the amount of work we have to do.

8. "Management :/"

Current Employee - Petcare Specialist/Cashier in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Petcare Specialist/Cashier in San Jose, CA

I have been working at PetSmart part-time (More than a year)

Pros

•You get to work with Animals
    •Customer service! Most of the people are reasonable, and it lets you stretch your talking-point wings.

Cons

•Management really makes or breaks it. As with a lot of the other reviews I've seen of Petsmart, the management can be super iffy sometimes.
    •Gossip. There's a lot of gossip, and it flies. Everywhere.

Advice to Management

When hiring, make sure they're actually competant enough to spell a customer's VERY SIMPLE last name without taking twenty minutes to try and figure it out.

"Honest Review- Garner's Ferry (#2423) Store"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, SC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, SC

I have been working at PetSmart part-time

Pros

The animals.
    Getting to work with people (customers and co-workers).
    Flexible Schedule for school and/or other jobs.

Cons

Store Management is a joke. Shows favoritism. Does not support employees.
    Gossip is rampant.
    Advancement Opportunities

Advice to Management

Biggest piece of advice is to grow up and/or step-down. Store management is incredibly hard to work for. They are well known for gossiping, showing favoritism, and locking themselves in the office at all times. They are not supportive and do not do what is best for the store or employees. You guys really need to evaluate yourselves and do what is best for us and not yourselves. Managing is your job; so start managing.

"Not worth working here."

Current Employee - Pet Products Associate in Yonkers, NY
    Current Employee - Pet Products Associate in Yonkers, NY

I have been working at PetSmart part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Since I'm a night stocker, the pros are you don't need to be in uniform, listen to music whether it's aloud or earphones, and you don't have to deal with complaining whiny customers.

Cons

Since compensation is low, and the store I'm at with the truck load we get, we should have at least 5 people coming in at 2am, not just one (me). Every time we hire another employee, MY hours get cut down to 15 while the new workers, who almost never last past 2 weeks, get the 30+ hours. And rinse and repeat. Same process. After one worker quits, i'm left alone to do trucks for 2 months or so since the new hiring process takes 5 weeks. And being on medical leave, twice, both for throwing my back out, being here a year, been thru over 10 stockers and 4 managers, i still am not yet "qualified" to be a full timer, yet I was shunned for going out and getting a second job. Favoritism is at every job but it's well shown in petsmart. Being the only stocker out of 5 total spots we have, i almost never have a day off, on top of my second job. Terrible work/life balance. Overall not a good place to work at.

Advice to Management

Stop changing your goals/direction of the company because in the end it's all about the money.

Showing 2,962 of 2,984 reviews